Goodbye Jesus

Christian Names

Jun

I don't think Lizard is in the bible.. :HaHa:

Lorena..I know several women with your name down here..its pretty common..I mean, as in alot of women here in Texas have the name.

You mean Lorena? That's not my name. My real name isn't popular at all.

Lorena is not a biblical name BTW.

I was named for my grandmother which happens to be a Bible name. Some of my siblings have Bible names and some don't. But none of us was named specifically for biblical characters. My parents were very concerned to use names that were conservative according to the standards of our community. I have since then learned that some of the names they used had been very fashionable names in Victorian times. That seems to violate their standard and it's when point out things like this that my mother starts talking out of both sides of her mouth so I just haven't bothered telling her about this. I don't have any kids but I helped name some of my siblings. There are eleven of us and I'm the oldenst. I counted up the biblical names just now. Out of eleven, three are not biblical. Five of us were named for relatives, which happened to have biblical names.

My first name doesn't appear anywhere in the bible though it is a name that comes from the latin for Christmas day. My parents just picked it because they liked it not because of the meaning.

QUOTE(@ Sep 13 2006, 10:31 PM)

I know we covered this ground before, but don't you even like the shortened version Bea (pronounced Bay-ya)? I still think it's a pretty name.

Nope. It just doesn't suit me, and the parental units spelled it Beatriz.

I was just going over the topic with the female parental unit earlier today over dinner (we went out for my birthday), and it suddenly occured to me out of nowhere: "If you guys were such a fan of Inferno, why didn't you just call me Dante?" My mom was actually impressed by that and liked the idea.

Dante...thats a cool name. Anyone agree?

I named my son Noah before I deconverted.

I still like the name. If I have another boy I think I might name him Odin.

Mythological characters are kinda cool.

Oh, and Dante would be a cool name.

You see, my family is from Scotland and has for the last 800 years passed on Christian names as a tradition. I am the 432nd person in my family to have my name - pretty depressing really when you see the rows of gravestones all with the same name (or variations) lined up.

That's interesting Jun. Do you know which part of Scotland your family are from? I'm Scottish but have never come across this before - you learn something new every day so they say!

I'm Paula, so technically feminine of a biblical name. My mum just liked the name, no religious reasoning. Although my grandfather (who was Polish Catholic) loved it because he thought i was being name after pope john paul ii!

You see, my family is from Scotland and has for the last 800 years passed on Christian names as a tradition. I am the 432nd person in my family to have my name - pretty depressing really when you see the rows of gravestones all with the same name (or variations) lined up.

That's interesting Jun. Do you know which part of Scotland your family are from? I'm Scottish but have never come across this before - you learn something new every day so they say!

I'm Paula, so technically feminine of a biblical name. My mum just liked the name, no religious reasoning. Although my grandfather (who was Polish Catholic) loved it because he thought i was being name after pope john paul ii!

My family name is a Gaelic name (topographical) from the Northern Picts (North West Highlands). The area still carries the name. Later generations (late 1100's on) migrated to Angus where our family has pretty much remained until this day. Our family had a charter from the King to operate the mills of Angus and operated 34 mills in Angus as far west as Tannadice, and 30 mills in Kincardineshire from Fetteresso as far south as Garvock. The primary produce was flax and canvas for the ships of the King.

Our Christian names have been biblical names since the move to Angus, and have remained that way until this day. Interestingly, my ancestors must have had some tradition whereby all second or third sons where to become priests. I'm still researching this.

My first name is biblical while my sister's is not. I don't think my parents purposely named me after a character in the Bible.

Talk about anal but I recently adopted a dog from an animal control facility that had named him Zep. While I liked the name I wasn't sure the meaning and did not want him to have a biblical name so I looked it up. I didn't find Zep but I did find Zeph which is short for Zephaniah or Zephyr. Since his name does not have the "h" at the end he's keeping it and as far as I am concerned it has no meaning at all.

Neither of my kids are named after the Bible either. Funny thing about that was at the time I had kids I still considered myself Christian but I refused to name the kids Biblical names, would think of a name look it up and if it was related to the Bible would discount it. I think back then I must have had doubts but just hadn't admitted it to myself yet.

My first name is a derivative of "christian", but my mom chose it because she thought it was pretty, not because of what it meant. There was also a famous person who died the year I was born with the same name as me, but she spelled it the "traditional" way of spelling it, while mine is the most unusual way of spelling it.

I personally find it a bit ironic that my first name is a reference to a religion that I don't identify myself as...

My family name is a Gaelic name (topographical) from the Northern Picts (North West Highlands). The area still carries the name. Later generations (late 1100's on) migrated to Angus where our family has pretty much remained until this day. Our family had a charter from the King to operate the mills of Angus and operated 34 mills in Angus as far west as Tannadice, and 30 mills in Kincardineshire from Fetteresso as far south as Garvock. The primary produce was flax and canvas for the ships of the King.

Our Christian names have been biblical names since the move to Angus, and have remained that way until this day. Interestingly, my ancestors must have had some tradition whereby all second or third sons where to become priests. I'm still researching this.

That's impressive - i wish i knew more of my familys history but have never had the patience to research. Good for you for breaking tradition though - i intend to make sure i most definitely do not give my kids biblical names if and when the day comes!

While my name is not biblical, it is still Christian: Christopher, which means "Christ Bearer". I hate it with a passion, but not enough to take the time and effort to change it. It would upset my grandmother anyway so I won't do it.

While I was still a fundy nut, my ex-wife and I chose to name our first child with both a biblical first and middle name. I regret it to no end now. Our second child was named by me, my ex, and my son. Both I and my ex chose non-biblical names and my son chose a biblical one. It's fine because that's her middle name and is never used. She's primarily called by a truncation of the name I gave her, but sometimes by both the name I gave her and the name my ex gave her.

If I could rename my son, I most definitely would.

My nutbag ex has already had another child and named him biblically as well.

My parents named all 4 of their children with Biblical names on purpose (my father has his Phd in Theology and my mother is a Missionary kid) so I have a biblical first and middle name I have thought about changing them but that is a bit of trouble.

my first name means "the loard is god" wich bothers me a bit

I am named after a queen, Queen Esther, no less. Just drop the H, would you,lol.

I am proud to say that no part of my name is Biblical any longer.

My first name is a truncated nickname derived from the Greek word for "pearl". My middle name was once a French variation on the female version of John, but is no longer - it's the same name as the Greek messenger goddess.

Nothin' Biblical goin' on here...

Hello,

I was just wondering how many here have biblical/Hebrew/Jewish names, but aren't in fact Jewish/Hebrew, and are ExChristians. If so, is your name a family tradition? ie: passed on in the family from father to son?

Does having a biblical name affect your life in any way? example: family uses the fact to bolster your support for Christianity, Christians point out the fact that you are named after someone in the bible.

Any other comments you would care to make.

Thanks.

The name I was given at birth was very Christian indeed, my first name meant follower of Christ. I always hated my name. In fact I hated it so much that I cringed when people called me by my first name, asked people not to call me by my name, and I went out of my way not to tell people my name. No one understood this and always told me what a beautiful name I had and what a good meaning it had. Having a name you hate with a passion is a terrible thing. It just added to the self hate I felt when I was a Christian. So I would say having a Christian name did adversely affect me throughout my childhood and teenage years. Now when I was 16 I turned away from Christianity, and for awhile there proclaimed myself to be a Satanist...It was very funny indeed to be a Satanist with a name that meant follower of Christ. Although neither the name or me labeling myself as a Satanist lasted till I was 18.

When I turned 18 I legally had my entire name changed. Now I am very happy with my legal name, because it has no religion attached to it. And while most of my family where offended at first they got over it. My mom was never offended that I changed my name and often said she wished she had changed her's when she was younger.

No Chrisitan names here. I have a popular 60's name. Even though I was fundy, I didn't name my kids Christian names. The first one, was named after the character Jerry Hall played in the first Batman. The second one came from the name of an apartment building. My son's name is an old family name, it's scandinavian.

No real Christian names here. I did look up my son's name and it means "remember the lord". I named him after my grandfather not because it held any christian meaning, though.

^^ :lmao:

I am named after one of the supposed gospel writers. When selecting a name for my son, I specifically did not want a "biblical" name. We decided on Aidan or "little fire".