Goodbye Jesus

Why Do I Need This?

Jennifer

Kind of a problem here. Why do people at my daughter's school and elsewhere have to fill her mind with all this Christian bs? I don't think that it would bother me that much if they were actually telling her stories that are in the Bible. But it seems like they just tell her that she has to believe in God or she's going to hell. Then she comes home to me asking me questions. I don't even like to tell her where I stand on this because of where we live-- right in the heart of the freakin Bible belt. I don't put it past any of these people to cause trouble if they find out that I am, at the very least, a non-believer in God and Jesus. Does anyone else get ticked off about crap like this?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Who's doing the telling? Teachers? or other students?

If its teachers and public school, I would definately take issue with it. I don't even "hide" who I am from anywhere..and I live here too.. :grin:

Wow, I feel for you, Jennifer. I think something your should be concerned about is the possibility that your daughter will accept the religious BS that her friends are shoving down her throat and bring it into your home. A house divided cannot stand, as they say, and if your daughter somehow thinks that you are a heathen damned to hell ()I doubt that would happen, since she loves you) then she will instinctively try to ignore you and cut you off. I think you should talk to her about these things. I'm not sure what exactly you would say, but perhaps "I know some people say that there's a place called hell, but it doesn't exist." That will get the fear out of her and lessen the others' influence on her.

Good luck in resisting the brainwashing of the Bible Belt. Kids are impressionable, so be careful.

That really stinks Jennifer. It sounds like you're in a real jam. Clearly you have no desire to encourage her to believe in the Christian myths. However if you tell her that its all "make believe" then you run the risk of alienating her from her peers.

Perhaps you could look on it as an opportunity to explain to her the necessity of differing perspectives, beliefs, etc. and the necessity of tolerance. Perhaps if she takes the lesson to heart then she will be lightyears ahead of her peers in the acquisition of wisdom.

I don't know, but I empathize with the fact that you're in a pickle right now. I hope that the situation is resolved in a constructive fashion.

How old is your daughter?

My kids being told about Christianity and going to church is exactly why they don't believe it. If you teach them to ask questions and think about the whys and hows of the way the world works they are less likely to believe it. They are told these fantastic stories that couldn't possibly be true and the kids are expected to blanketly believe and not ask questions. Teach her to think critically and not take everything she is told at face value.

Who's doing the telling? Teachers? or other students?

. :grin:

How old is your daughter?

She's 11 and I think that it is mostly her friends, but also it has been daycare and babysitters when she was younger. I have told people countless times that I want her to make up her own mind.

Friends tell each other all sorts of things. As to daycare and sitters..well, I draw the line. I would have changed if possible, or stated plainly that its not acceptable.

Of course, that doesn't always work. Like with my granddaughter. We specifically told the other grandparents that we don't eat certain foods and don't go to church. Of course, the first thing they want to do is take her to church and feed her beef jerky.. :vent:

Read this Holt, John Teach Your Own.

And think about this

If you hand your child over to strangers for 6-8hrs perday 5 days a week, don't be surprized when she gets strange. Only tame people send their kids to school. Wild people teach their own.

Kind of a problem here. Why do people at my daughter's school and elsewhere have to fill her mind with all this Christian bs? I don't think that it would bother me that much if they were actually telling her stories that are in the Bible. But it seems like they just tell her that she has to believe in God or she's going to hell. Then she comes home to me asking me questions. I don't even like to tell her where I stand on this because of where we live-- right in the heart of the freakin Bible belt. I don't put it past any of these people to cause trouble if they find out that I am, at the very least, a non-believer in God and Jesus. Does anyone else get ticked off about crap like this?

Just accept it and don't make too much out of it. The fuckin babble bangers will have their say but its your actions that speak the loudest. Don't worry.

Perhaps you can explain it to her like this:

Jesus is just like Santa Claus.

Not believing is just like being bad.

Hell is just like not getting any presents.

Now she probably knows Santa is made up. I am betting she has misbehaved and still gotten presents. Tell her that just like it is rude to tell little kids that there is no Santa, it is rude to tell people that there is no Jesus. At least that is what I would do if I both sincerely didn't want my child believing nonsense, and not getting beat up. It's about time she learned to nond and smile and change the subject. You can have deeper conversations with her about it when she is older.

Hi Jennifer,

I agree with Taphophilia. Give her reason to question. I have a 14 year old and a 17 year old. Both of them don't buy the religious mumbo jumbo. My 17 year old has determined that he is agnostic as have a lot of his friends. I'm not sure if my 14 year old is there yet but he does guestion alot and has already determined the Bible to be untrue. When/if I take him to church I make sure that we discuss the sermon and what was said. I make sure that I give him plenty of reason to wonder by asking him what he thinks about what he heard and giving a differing point of view.

No matter what you do you will not be able to control what her friends/school tells her. I too face the school issue for the 14 year old. His school actually sponsors a Christian Club.

Am I ticked off about it. I sure am, see my post at: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=11820 (can't insert a link, sorry). Disregard my first post (too much of a hurry that morning and didn't convey what I really wanted to say) and see the second one.

Good luck to you.

Well being you are in the Bible belt not much you can do..but homeschool if you want totally away from the influence..BUT know home is where most is to be taught. I have no problem with my kids knowing about Jesus , Budda ect...I think it is good they learn some when young...so they don't do what I did..got converted at age 18. Be open and show them answers..No matter what in life they will be confronted around Christians..if they join the army or whatnot..so don't be too closed door..or it may come back to bite you when your kids get "saved " at age 19 or so...