Goodbye Jesus

Hair

snookums

Well.....its only hair!

Christians grow it long while some cover it up - while spouting off something about it being a glory to god?.....the Jews have it pouring out all over the place, married women wear 'WIGS'...for goodness sake to hide their own. Muslims...well, we all see what great beards they have....its almost a race of the facial olympics between the jew and the muslim.

For what I'm seeing...the Mormon never, ever spouts any facial hair - male or female. The televanglists have BIG HAIR...really really Big!

Look at this......benny-hinn-2.jpg one of favorite TELEWEEVILS!

Whats with all the teleweevils...females included...that they have BIG HAIR? (closer to gawd?)

Seriously thou'.......whats the big deal with 'hair'? Even the bible talks about it at length...would their be a prohibition against 'pubic' hair do ya think?...thou shall not depilitate? Are xian people more or less hairy..down there?

To me........hair has a very political as well as social signficance. Look at the ways 'hair' effects our self esteem....the ol' having a bad hair day?

Ever think about it?

If I remember correctly, having all that hair in the monothesistic religions is need because mortals should humble (cover-up) themselves before God. Jesus went further to mention against women cutting their hair short because that's what the prositutes did (cut their hair.) You're right about the big hair with televangelists. I'm really not sure how to explain that.

In the church that I came out of, women were forbidden to cut their hair, since some verse in II Corinthians says that long hair is a woman's glory. Men were forbidden to have longer hair (over the ears, over the collar) and facial hair because of some rule made decades ago -- the UPCI didn't want their people looking like hippies.

Locally I avoid anyone who is over 40 and still sporting big 80's hair, or men who are not in the military and their hair stops above the ears. That's Jerry Prevo's flock (local pastor of the Baptist Temple....and a freako).

At least we can I.D. these people in public thanks to bad hair.

LOL. Of course, if you work in a big company, a lot of men over 40 have hair that stops above the ears, either because of their hair cut or because they're balding or both.

I watched Dr. Phil for the first time...ever today, due to the theme of today's show (cults), and after doing so decided to run "UPCI" and "cult" by Google. Found a number of hits, and one of them linked to this -- it's an article about hair in the UPCI, from a woman (for whom obeying these rules was probably harder than for a man).

I noticed the same thing about hair lately. The look here is now shaving the head and wearing a goatee. Used to not be a religious thing but I've noticed that a lot of the men at one of the bigger churches are shaving heads and growing facial hair.

And for the women, have you notice how all the stay at home mommies that belong to some of the fundamentalist churches wear only khaki capri's and tee shirts? We call it the "stay at home, home schooling mommy uniform".

At least they are moving away from the big hair, tons of hairspray look.

I miss my hair... almost every day I miss my hair. It used to go past my shoulders. It was a real freak flag to be proud of. Occassionally it sported twigs caught in it while running through woods but usually it just lay there on my head. It sprouted from my face and chin... almost randomly. And it meant something to me. It meant that I was okay with being what I was born to be. I wasn't obssessed with changing the appearance of my body to look like something less animal. Hair was part of my connection with the reality that humans are just very smart apes. ;)

Okay... maybe it didn't mean that much. But it was a sad day when I cut it. But being a teacher requires that you look clean cut and acceptable. In two more years or so, when I have tenure, I intend to regrow it. But will I be the same person in two years? Will I want my hair back in two years? It's been two years now since I first cut it and I still want it back but maybe I won't care that much as time marches on. And there are benefits. When I used to enter a bank, I was ignored or served last... now when I walk in, they try to serve me before I can even sit down or wait in line. But that very benefit reminds me of why I had the hair in the first place. Because people do treat you different based on how you look and if you support or deny their ideas.

Long ago, I took refuge (informally) and obeying the tradition, I shaved my head. Since I could not explain the reason to people, being silent about my beliefs, many treated me like I was a "punk." Then I just let it grow when I got out of high school and people treated me like I was a dirty hippie. I'm rambling but hair does have meaning... people assume things about you because of your hair.