Goodbye Jesus

More Interesting Articles

scitsofreaky

I'm signed up for the PhysOrg newsletter, and today's had some interesting articles (with the teaser in the email):

A 'PRISONER'S DILEMMA' FOR REAL-LIFE SITUATIONS, September 20

What's best for the individual and what's best for society are often not the same thing--this predicament is the premise for the famous "prisoner's dilemma" game. However, healthy societies depend on individuals cooperating for the common good, even at the risk of personal loss. In theory, individuals should choose what's in their own best self-interest, but the reality is that many people--and even animals--instead choose to cooperate, to the puzzlement of many professionals who study sociology, game theory and other disciplines.

WATCHING DNA REPAIR IN REAL TIME, September 20

Direct observations of DNA are giving new insights into how genetic material is copied and repaired.

(This one isn't as informative as I would have liked, but it at least let me know to look out for related information)

FRUIT FLY AGGRESSION STUDY HAS HUMAN, ANIMAL RELEVANCE, September 20

Even the tiny, mild-mannered fruit fly can be a little mean sometimes – especially when there’s a choice bit of rotten fruit to fight over. And, like people, some flies have shorter tempers than others.