Goodbye Jesus

My Ex-christian Testimony

Scarlett

What would you say to a person who tries to argue with you that America was founded to be a Christain nation, when history really shows that many of the founding fathers were really deists and skeptics and wanted us to have a nation that respected everyone beliefs (or non-beliefs). My theory is that faith that must be mandated is not really faith at all, but something done out of fear and compulsion

I've seen conversations about that. The fundies won't budge. Not a hair-bredth. They don't know the difference between a deist and Christian. In their mind it's black and white. Either you believe in god or you don't. If you do, you're automatically a Christian. If you don't, you're automatically an atheist. I don't know what they believe today re the Muslims' Allah.

Some are bothered fairly seriously with the idea that more than half the world's population will go to hell. They are also bothered that all the people who lived before Jesus will go to hell. Some of them manage to figure out that hell is only for the people who "know better"--who heard about Jesus and reject it.

Guest steve

As an ex-Chrsistian I am always looking for support in developing arguments to use against those who want me back in the church.

I just discovered this forum and am sure glad to add it to my library of wisdom.

I also found a forum I wish I had seen when I was first trying to leave my church. This is

Dead man-god

I love the name because it kinda says it all DEADman-god.com

DEAD and mangod -- yep, that about sums Christiantiy up in a nut shell

I am also glad to hear you got yourself out of the mess that is Christianity. I'm new on the site, but I've found it disturbingly easy to relate to a lot of the stories I've found since coming here. I'm not a homosexual, but my sex life has suffered a devistating blow from the foolishness of christanity, and I've still not recovered completely from the life I had as a christian. I'm not just speaking of sexual matters either.

The sad thing is, that was about ten years ago. I still have trouble getting around the emotional and ideological blocks the cult of christianity instilled in me from childhood.

I lost faith before then even, but had to hide my 'shame' from others because of the backlash I knew would come if my parents and family found out about my real views.

I'd have less of a problem with it if it was a choice that an adult made about their life. The way they go about it is completely wrong, and creates confusion and turmoil in it's youth. Children can't handle the ideas and themes of such a thing, and forcing it on them should be illegal. Sadly, it isn't, and it is encouraged.

Good luck with your future, and I hope you're happier and more fulfilled than you were. I know I am, and I do my best not to dwell on the things I lost, instead, focus on the future. I feel like mine is so bright, I've got to wear shades. ^_^

I read C.S. Lewis when I was younger, and I still enjoy the Narnia series to this day. The big difference is, that I saw it for what it was. Fantasy. As a childrens series goes, it's good, but no more important than Lord of the Rings, despite the heavy Christian undertones. As things go, I found the series to be entertaining, and light. Though, I am admitedly unfamiliar with his other work.

In the proper context, the books are harmless, and I wouldn't mind allowing any children I might have to read the series. I do feel, that I should make clear that it's no more believable than Jack and the Beanstalk, or Harry Potter.