Goodbye Jesus

How To Prove God To An Atheist

KT45

Further, the Qur’an also mentions every living thing is made of water. Every living thing can be made up of either wood, stone, copper, aluminum, steel, silver, gold, oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, oil, water, cement, concrete, etc.

Huh? Where, exactly, are there on earth living things made up of wood, stone, concrete, aluminum, silver, steel, gold, oil, cement or concrete? I've never seen any except in computer games, and they weren't exactly living...more like golums, robots, constructs, or other fantasy creatures of some type. Maybe 2,000+ years ago they believed this, but we know this not to be the case now. How can anyone believe that? It boggles the mind.

Further, the Qur’an also mentions every living thing is made of water. Every living thing can be made up of either wood, stone, copper, aluminum, steel, silver, gold, oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, oil, water, cement, concrete, etc.

Huh? Where, exactly, are there on earth living things made up of wood, stone, concrete, aluminum, silver, steel, gold, oil, cement or concrete? I've never seen any except in computer games, and they weren't exactly living...more like golums, robots, constructs, or other fantasy creatures of some type. Maybe 2,000+ years ago they believed this, but we know this not to be the case now. How can anyone believe that? It boggles the mind.

...isn't concrete and cement man-made products? And steel? My brain is blown.

• 3 weeks later...
How To Prove God To An Atheist

If Gods existence were an undeniable fact, theists wouldn't have to prove it. It would be part of reality that could not be denied. Just like gravity or air.

It's hard for me to refute this because I lack knowledge about islam as a whole. If you can't watch the video here is the text

PROVING THE EXISTENCE OF ALLAH (SWT)TO AN ATHEIST

by Dr. Zakir Naik

My first question to the atheist will be: "What is the definition of God?" For a person to say there is no God, he should know what is the meaning of God.

This is a clever bit of sophistry. It is not the responsibility of the non-believer to define that in which he does not believe. It is the responsibility of the believer, and Dr. Naik never provides a definition (and, indeed, no religious person ever does).

Darrell

I'm not sure I agree with that. Indeed, it's the theistic definition of God (an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, morally perfect creator) that can be so easily refuted by science and the problem of evil.

For example, we humans are full of design flaws. Inherent mistakes, if you will. We are each born with an appendix which serves no useful purpose (in humans). In fact, appendicitis nearly killed me when I was 7, and I had to endure surgery to have the vestigial organ removed. Had I been directly created by a perfect God, then it would have been born without an appendix. Had this perfect God merely guided natural selection along, I still would have been born without an appendix. After all, God can do whatever He/She/It wants.

Worse yet, there are creatures such as lions who are clearly designed in one way or another to kill other creatures such as gazelles (causing no small amount of suffering for the gazelle). This is not a result of any moral choice by the lion or the gazelle because these creatures are incapable of making moral decisions.

If God created a world with carnivores such as lions, then God cannot be both omnipotent and morally perfect. Fundamentalists such as Answers in Genesis argue that all animals were herbivores in the Garden of Eden and did not become carnivores until man's fall from the literal Garden of Eden (so it's really our fault). It's not illogical per se, but modern science has convinced most people that carnivores predated humans by millions of years, so the facts get in the way of a good story. As for the more moderate intelligent design folks, they still must deal with who to blame for such senseless suffering that could not be caused by human free will. Interestingly, intelligent design author William Dembski suggests that the designer might just be stupid. That's all fine and good, but it certainly hammers the nail in the coffin of Western theistic religions, including Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

So, the very definition of God makes it easy to refute His/Her/Its existence. (For me, the jury is still out on eastern religions with more flexible definitions of God.)