Goodbye Jesus

Searching For God On Yahoo

Mike D

So the other day I was using overture (yahoo) to find out how often people search for information on various random subjects each month, and thought these stats were interesting. Personally I think the information people seek out is a fair indicator of what is important to people, because it's what they are thinking about, and I guess to what extent. Maybe even says something about their values. (Not the values they state in public of course, but privately.....:)

(Approx number of times searched for during a 30 day period):

God: 91,000

Paris Hilton 1,200,000

Jesus (Christ): 187,000

sex: 7,800,000

cars: 3,200,000

football: 368,000

real estate: 1,700,000

ringtones: 1,800,000

poker: 691,000

cigars: 161,000

Chanel handbag: 38,000

According to this data, people seek out Paris Hilton more than god, they look for poker more than Jesus, and cellphone ringtones more than poker, although in all fairness Jesus is sought out more than cigars, if by only a thin margin. Then again football is more popular than God. Of course God did take the lead when it came to people looking for Chanel handbags, but not by much.

These numbers kind of make me wonder, is religion really as important to people as they publicly make it out to be? I say no it isn't. How else can you explain such low (like patheticly low) search numbers for God and/or Jesus?

That's really disappointing, I would have thought the Chanel handbag would get more hits.

Seriously, I think for many god is in the back of their minds and they believe just because they've been told to. They don't think about it, they just blindly accept it.

Just as I thought! People really do want to know about cigars more than god! Maybe there's hope for the human race after all!

These numbers kind of make me wonder, is religion really as important to people as they publicly make it out to be? I say no it isn't. How else can you explain such low (like patheticly low) search numbers for God and/or Jesus?

I think it accurately reflects the lack of desire to question what they believe. I mean, why would you want to research something that you know is already the absolute Truth™? After all...the bible beats google hands down! :lmao: (Satire of course!)

They're too busy watching football and playing poker online to search the Internet. :grin: