Goodbye Jesus

Church Stories

Ramen666

This thread is based on Questionable things that happend while you were a Christian at church here is an example story that happend:

This story takes place WHEN I was a Christian

My Dad actually told me what happend:

My dad was talking to someone about Lord of the Rings after church. Then the guitar player came up to my dad and started getting mad saying " There is only one lord!" My dad said " But ... don't ...Lord of the Rings is...." The man started to foam at the mouth (not really) He started yelling at my dad and said " The only lord is Jesus Christ" My dad said " Ok...then...." When the guy walked off he told the guy he was talking to "Better not speak of Harry Potter"

Obviousally he is vary un educated about fiction , heck he reads it himelf the Babble.

Now this has to be the best example of fundys at the extreme.

I will tell more stories as this thread continues....There is lots to tell but I want to see what other people have to say.

My step-dad had a construction business and in the winter he plowed snow for businesses. A church hired him to plow their parking lot one winter. He sent them a bill and the minister called him aksing him to "donate" the service. My step-dad said, "All right, but under one condition, you do your job for free." The minister sent the check.

So far, I love it! :HaHa:

I can think of an incident that happened just a couple of years ago...one day I got a phone call from a person identifying himself as calling the members of the **** Baptist Church I used to go to, and asking if I would consider a "special offering" for the building fund. It seems that church had a big expansion project underway. What this poor sap didn't know was that I hadn't gone to church in over forty years, or that I was an atheist. That certainly didn't stop them from asking me for money, though. I nearly fell over! But, I was polite, I simply told him I hadn't been an active churchgoer for decades, thanks just the same, and he apologized.

Ironically, that church's penchant for putting up fancy new buildings was part of the reason I got out of church, and christianity in general, to begin with. Back in the '60s, when I was a teenager, they undertook such a project, and for weeks on end, every sunday, all they could preach about was money, tithes, offerings, give, bread, dough, ka-ching ka-ching. At the end, the obligatory altar call was almost an afterthought. (Oh, by the way, before we go home, let's sing Just As I Am Without One Plea, and anybody wanna get saved today??) I quit...

All seriousness this is a sad story now I was in middle school and a guy had a heart attack next door while doing a Sunday School class. The sad thing is the guy's son was in my sunday school class. So he ran out and saw what happend.Later on during church they announced he died in the hospital. I got a real chill that day and kind of shocked about it. He died while preaching that is just horrible....god really is unforgiving....

Ramen,

That's terrible!

When I moved to Florida my mom's dream for us was to be one big happy clapping for Jesus family. So, I tried to go to church to make my mom happy, but could only take it for so long.

Everyone thought I was weird, because although, I was seemed nice and pleasant, when they sang worship songs I wouldn't sing and basically stared up at the ceiling during worship service.

This missionary lady (I wouldn't call going to another country to supervise field trips for US teens, a missionary) tried to take me under her wing and invited me for lunch with another church lady.

Small talk over lunch and the other lady mentions that she used to be a CNA in a nursing home.

Me: "Do they have sex?"

Church Lady: "What?"

Me: "Do the old people have sex?"

Blank shocked stare

Me: "I had a friend who was a nurse in a nursing home and she told me that the old people would have sex with each other all the time. I just wanted to know."

Church Lady: "Well, if they are married, I'm sure they do, but I don't think they would let them if they are single."

Me: "They are adults, you can't keep consenting adults who are not mentally impaired from being human."

Blank shocked stare for a few moments, then quickly change the subject to something else.

This thread is based on Questionable things that happend while you were a Christian at church here is an example story that happend:

This story takes place WHEN I

Sort of unrelated, but now that I am an unbeliever after a lifetime of belief and fear, I can now go to church when I have to and laugh to myself. Yep, I can pretend to pray, receive communion and walk out happy saying "fuck it all" to myself. Jeezus! I wasn't struck down and no longer have guilt!

I now placed religion on my "totally irrelevant to life" list.

This story takes place WHEN I

Sort of unrelated, but now that I am an unbeliever after a lifetime of belief and fear, I can now go to church when I have to and laugh to myself. Yep, I can pretend to pray, receive communion and walk out happy saying "fuck it all" to myself. Jeezus! I wasn't struck down and no longer have guilt!

I now placed religion on my "totally irrelevant to life" list.

That is exactly what I do when my parents are in a church mood and want to go to church. I always feel like laughing because I can't take it serious once I became an unbeliever. I play the game also when I have to. I do it because they are helping pay for college. So I play the game sometimes I find it ammusing like I am undercover seeing Christians act.

Add some humor to this thread? I heard that they are real quotes from Church bulletins.

Bloopers in the Church Bulletin

The Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10. All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the B.S. is done.

The pastor would appreciate it if the ladies of the congregation would lend him their electric girdles for the pancake breakfast next Sunday morning.

Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM. Please use the back door.

The pastor will preach his farewell message, after which the choir will sing, "Break Forth Into Joy."

A songfest was hell at the Methodist church Wednesday.

Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and community.

The eighth-graders will be presenting Shakespeare's Hamlet in the Church basement Friday at 7 PM. The Congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.

Thursday night Potluck Supper. Prayer and medication to follow.

The rosebud on the altar this morning is to announce the birth of David, the sin of Rev. and Mrs. Adams.

Tuesday at 4 PM there will be an ice cream social. All ladies giving milk will please come early.

A bean supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the church hall. Music will follow.

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be "What Is Hell?" Come early and listen to our choir practice.

Weight Watchers will meet at 7 PM at the First Presbyterian Church. Please use large double door at the side entrance.

Please join us as we show our support for Amy and Alan who are preparing for the girth of their first child.

The Associate Minister unveiled the church's new tithing campaign slogan last Sunday: "I Upped My Pledge - Up Yours."

Don't let worry kill you, let the church help.

For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.

This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come forward and lay an egg on the altar.

The service will close with Little Drops of Water. One of the ladies will start quietly and the rest of the congregation will join in.

Eight new choir robes are currently needed, due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.

The senior choir invites any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.

Bertha Belch, a missionary from Africa, will be speaking tonight at Calvary Methodist. Come hear Bertha Belch all the way from Africa.

Announcement in a church bulletin for a national PRAYER & FASTING Conference: "The cost for attending the Fasting and Prayer conference includes meals."

Our youth basketball team is back in action Wednesday at 8 PM in the recreation hall. Come out and watch us kill Christ the King.

"Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Don't forget your husbands."

The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.

Next Thursday there will be tryouts for the choir. They need all the help they can get.

Barbara remains in the hospital and needs blood donors for more transfusions. She is also having trouble sleeping and requests tapes of pastor Jack's sermons.

During the absence of our Pastor, we enjoyed the rare privilege of hearing a good sermon when J.F. Stubbs supplied our pulpit.

The Rector will preach his farewell message after which the choir will sing "Break Forth into Joy."

Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24 in the church. So ends a friendship that began in their school days.

Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person you want remembered.

Attend and you will hear an excellent speaker and heave a healthy lunch.

The church will host an evening of fine dining, superb entertainment, and gracious hostility.

The ladies of the Church have cast off clothing of every kind. They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoon.

This evening at 7 P.M. there will be a hymn sing in the park across from the Church. Bring a blanket and come prepared to sin.

Mrs. Johnson will be entering the hospital this week for testes.

The 1991 Spring Council retreat will be hell May 10 & 11.

Pastor is on vacation. Massages can be given to church secretary.

Please join us as we support Amy and Alan in preparing for the girth of their first child.

The Lutheran men's group will meet at 6 p.m. Steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, bread and dessert will be served for a nominal feel.

The rosebud on the altar this morning is to announce the birth of David Alan Belzer, the sin of Rev. and Mrs. Julius Belzer.

This afternoon there will be a meeting in the south and north ends of the church. Children will be baptized at both ends.

Thursday at 5PM there will be a meeting of the Little Mothers Club. All wishing to become Little

Mothers, please see the minister in his private study.

Smile at someone who is hard to love. Say "hell" to someone who doesn't care much about you.

The service will close with "Little Drops of Water." One of the ladies will start quietly and the rest of

the congregation will join in.

Next Sunday a special collection will be taken to defray the cost of the new carpet. All those wishing to do something on the new carpet will come forward and do so.

Attend and you will hear an excellent speaker and heave a healthy lunch.

The church will host an evening of fine dining, superb entertainment, and gracious hostility.

Wednesday the Ladies Liturgy Society will meet. Mrs. Jones will sing "Put Me in My Little Bed" accompanied by the pastor.

This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come forward and lay an egg on the altar.

The Rev. Adams spoke briefly, much to the delight of his audience.

A new loudspeaker system has been installed in the church. It was given by one of our members in honor of his wife.

The outreach committee has enlisted 25 visitors to make calls on people who are not afflicted with any church.

Ushers will eat latecomers.

The third verse of "Blessed Assurance" will be sung without musical accomplishment.

Next Sunday Mrs. Vinson will be soloist for the morning service. The pastor will then speak on "It's a Terrible Experience."

Due to the Rector's illness, Wednesday's healing services will be discontinued until further notice.

Stewardship Offertory: "Jesus Paid It All"

The concert held in Fellowship Hall was a great success. Special thanks are due to the minister's daughter, who labored the whole evening at the piano, which as usual fell upon her.

In the church bulletin during the minister's illness: GOD IS GOOD! Dr. Hargreaves is better.

From Jeff's Jokes:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bondono2/Web...s/Joke0002.html

ohhh I have so many!!

Two come to mind....

I went with our church group to a Billy Graham crusade at Cleveland Stadium. The coolest part was going onto the field during the altar call so we could actually stand on home plate (rabid Indians fans). On the trip home in the church bus, my friends and I--giddy from the excitement of the crusade--started singing hymns but substituting the word "Billy" where ever the word "Jesus" appeared. You can try this at home! "Billy, Billy, Billy. Sweetest name I know" or "Billy loves me this I know". We were cracking ourselves up to the point of tears.

The other one I think is more in the spirit of what this thread is asking-

My husband and I were invited to a friends surprise 40th birthday party. This couple were born-again Christians who regularly attended church and would actively talk to my husband about becoming a Christian. Anyway for the party, the wife hired a band and had a caterer....but the big surprise was the stripper. The highlight was when the stripper slid her business card into her <ahem> and the birthday boy had to retrieve it with his mouth. At that point, my husband leaned over to me and said "Are you sure they're Christian--because if that's what they get to do...I'm all for it!!"

The other one I think is more in the spirit of what this thread is asking-

My husband and I were invited to a friends surprise 40th birthday party. This couple were born-again Christians who regularly attended church and would actively talk to my husband about becoming a Christian. Anyway for the party, the wife hired a band and had a caterer....but the big surprise was the stripper. The highlight was when the stripper slid her business card into her <ahem> and the birthday boy had to retrieve it with his mouth. At that point, my husband leaned over to me and said "Are you sure they're Christian--because if that's what they get to do...I'm all for it!!"

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Guest Big Mac

I grew up Pentacostal in South Texas, so you can already imagine that anything Baptists do pales in sheer comparision.

I have a few that are quite hilarious.

Seems there was this kid who was emotionally disturbed and liked to yell odd shit all the time. Not sure it was Tourette's or not but one day our pastor was talking about Job and such and he says in his thick southern drawl: "And God said....." with that ill-fated pause, the kid yells, "FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE!" on the top of his deranged driven lungs. Needless to say there was a constant request to pray for the boys tormented soul.

Another one was when I was in sunday school and I was acting up as usual (I've always hated church, more on that later). The 'teacher' asked me what was wrong and I told her I had a head ache.....so what does this aspiring medical professional do? She asks that everyone prays to Jebus or whatever that my headache goes away. The bitch could have offered me a fucking aspirin (I know she had tons of that shit in her gawdy purse) but instead she asks for prayer.

Another one was when we were doing a play about Jesus and all the crap he supposedly did. None of the kids were too terribly eager to play Satan but I jumped at it immediately. Needless to say that part was mysteriously written out when they saw how excited I was to play the Prince of Darkness.

I grew up Pentacostal in South Texas, so you can already imagine that anything Baptists do pales in sheer comparision.

I have a few that are quite hilarious.

Seems there was this kid who was emotionally disturbed and liked to yell odd shit all the time. Not sure it was Tourette's or not but one day our pastor was talking about Job and such and he says in his thick southern drawl: "And God said....." with that ill-fated pause, the kid yells, "FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE!" on the top of his deranged driven lungs. Needless to say there was a constant request to pray for the boys tormented soul.

Another one was when I was in sunday school and I was acting up as usual (I've always hated church, more on that later). The 'teacher' asked me what was wrong and I told her I had a head ache.....so what does this aspiring medical professional do? She asks that everyone prays to Jebus or whatever that my headache goes away. The bitch could have offered me a fucking aspirin (I know she had tons of that shit in her gawdy purse) but instead she asks for prayer.

Another one was when we were doing a play about Jesus and all the crap he supposedly did. None of the kids were too terribly eager to play Satan but I jumped at it immediately. Needless to say that part was mysteriously written out when they saw how excited I was to play the Prince of Darkness.

This is tooooo freakin' funny! Man, how come I never had anything like this happen in my church?!

These stories are great....

I've been a member of a mainstream Lutheran congregation for several years. We've worked hard, for 10 years, to develop an interfaith/interspiritual aspect to our congregation. In fact we have one service that is geared towards those interested in meditation and interspirituality.

So... anyway... our very open minded pastor, who is quite versed in most of the world's religions, was going on vacation. And he did what he always does, he looked in the synod directory and called a pastor in the directory to see if this pastor would sub in and preach the sermons the two Sundays he would be out of town.

We've three services, 1st service is traditional, 2nd service is contemporary, 3rd service is meditative/interfaith.

I did not attend the 1st service but I did arrive for the 2nd service. I must have been subbing in for the pastor with readings (or something) because I remember sitting down next to the contemporary band leader and I had a dress on. I never wear dresses unless I'm leading something.

The contemporary service moves on as normal, then we get to the sermon. The substitute pastor stands up to give a sermon. Instead of standing in the isle like our regular pastor - and initiating discussion amongst the congregation about the days readings - this pastor goes to the podium (and I get comfortable in the pew for a yawner).

The pastor starts preaching fire and brimstone. I mean he's standing up in the podium telling a congregation who has worked hard for 10 years to develop an interspiritual aspect to their community that anyone who is not Christian will fry in hell.

I was livid - and the leader of the contemporary band sitting next to me knew me well enough to know I was livid. He gently looked at me a few times - I could tell he knew I was angry - he was angry too - but his look said, "just bear with it - it's a substitute pastor". So I tried very hard to keep my mouth closed.

Then the pastor asked a rhetorical question - I can't even remember what it was. But, here I was sitting next to the band leader and had a dress on so I demurely raised my hand - and the pastor (although surprised) pointed at me and asked me if I had a response to his question.

I stood up and let loose on him. I told him that we had worked very hard for ten years to teach tollerance and understanding and respect for other world religioins. I told him that his thinking contributed to untold amounts of violence and pain in the world. And that the way he was reading the Bible was violent and went against the idea of loving and compassionate God. That if God was loving and compassionate, hell didn't exist.

The band leader sitting next to me was slinking down in his pew, the substitute pastor thought I was the band leader's wife and was looking at the band leader like, "will you shut this woman up". But the band leader didn't say a word, he quietly allowed me to have my say, as uncomfortable as he was. (The band leader knew I was going to have my say one way or the other) :)

After the service - the substitute pastor left. He didn't stick around for the meditative/interfaith service. I'm sure he felt we were all going to fry in hell.

Afterwards the band leader and I talked. He had been at 1st service and the pastor had given the same fire and brimstone sermon. The band leader confessed to wondering how I would react at 2nd service. I'm sure I made him uncomfortable acting like his wife. But, his real wife thought it was funny (she had been sitting in another area of the church at the time running the projector).

That substitute pastor never came back, and our regular pastor now tells me he screens every substitute he invites. :HaHa::wicked:

• 4 weeks later...

A story long ago and felt betrayed by my friend at the time

This one still makes me a little mad (even though we were little kids). We were talking about temptation and decieving people like Satan did to God.

The my friend raised his hand

Sundy School Teacher- Yes

My friend- My friend right there he did the same thing to me, he wanted me to get some popsicles even when my mom said no. But I didn't give in to tempation

Sundy School Teacher- O really Did you do that?

Me- (not saying anythin)..............

Me- ( someone plz shoot me)

Everyone looked at and I became an "enemy or God or something" I was not one of them and I felt so embarrased

I felt real unconfortable when I was in that situation and still never have forgot it.

Well that happend a while back when I was a little kid,but the principal of thing is what matters.

When I was a preteen, around twelve, once the pastor took control of the service one evening and dismissed everyone under 16, so we all went into the back rooms. We thought he was making a special emotional announcement, like that he was leaving -- twice before pastors had done this, in our memories, and had dismissed the young people. And things worked out in a similar fashion. Occasionally an adult would come out, crying or looking angry. We being curious, they stationed adults outside to make sure we didn't come near the sanctuary.

Then the pastor's mother was pushed out of the sanctuary by her grandson, the pastor's son, who was pointing his finger and yelling "In Jesus' Name, get out of this church!". She hasn't been back since. Eventually that pastor left, and when they're in Selma for whatever reason they don't come to the church, even though when he left it wasn't on a bad note; he simply said his time in Selma was up and he felt called to go on the road. Even though they're gone, the mother still can't bring herself to come back to our church, to avoid all of those memories. And she's the sweetest old lady I've ever met -- not once have I even seen her being judgmental, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for any OTHER person at that church.

What was that all about? The closest I've come to the truth is that it was a dispute between the pastor's wife and the pastor's mother over authority and the affections of the pastor. Exceptionally odd. :scratch:

Guest Big Mac

Oh I just remembered another one.

Sunday School was always about the Devil this and devil that. Apparently the following KIDS, KIDS! Cartoons are satanic.

Power Rangers, Batman, Animaniacs, Rugrats, Thundercats, Voltron, He-Man (he was kind of gay), etc.

Sunday School was always about the Devil this and devil that. Apparently the following KIDS, KIDS! Cartoons are satanic.

Power Rangers, Batman, Animaniacs, Rugrats, Thundercats, Voltron, He-Man (he was kind of gay), etc.

And Carebears....

Power Rangers, Batman, Animaniacs, Rugrats, Thundercats, Voltron, He-Man (he was kind of gay), Carebears, and so on.

Power Rangers, Batman, Animaniacs, Rugrats, Thundercats, Voltron, He-Man (he was kind of gay), Carebears.

Guest razorrose

During the service of a baptist church I used to attend years ago, the pastor was preaching outta his ass like usual and at some point he brought out a small box. So everyone was wondering what was in the box. Then the pastor tells the audience that it's this mans ashes. I forget the name of the man who died, but he was a member of the church for years and years and he gave his ashes to the church or something. So the pastor actually brings his ashes out and I don't even think it fit with his sermon, but he's holding the box in his hands and talking and people are walking out in tears, because the man in the box is someon everyone loved. Nice pastor...

I have more stories, but I can't think of them... :unsure:

Friend of mine's mother died, bout 6 yrs. ago. Mrs. J, who babysat me and my sister for years when we were little, had a bad heart her entire life, which I didn't know about till she succumbed to it. Of course everyone who knew she wasn't supposed to live nearly as long as she did thought it was a miracle that it took so long, but that's rather beside the point.

Couple Sundays after the funeral, I was forced to make another Sunday school appearance. The guy teaching the course said something to the effect of "I'm pretty sure she was saved," and/or "She was probably saved". Wait, wait, wait. Wtf? Okay, this lady, a leader of the church for years, running various church functions, who adopted a child to get her out of a bad situation, who would eventually have her beloved day-camp program named after her in memorial, and you're just pretty sure she was probably saved?

If you're not certain she was definitely saved, then what the fuck do I gotta do to get to heaven?

:angry: My family used to go to this one huge church (Melodyland xtian Center) here in California when I was a toddler, then when we moved from the area we went elsewhere. One day my grandmother and I went back to this place when I was around fifteen, and I was having tons of fun with the youth group. I thought things were going right and they had prayed to Jeebus that I be healed from the issues I had from my father sexually abusing me when I was younger. Well I had accepted Jeebus into my heart as they wanted me to, then the kids asked if I wanted to chat with one of the elders of the church ( who was in the room at the time) about my abuse issues. Instead of asking me more about the abuse he asked me what music I like, and as I said I like rock music he turned livid. For two hours this fucking asshole screeched at the top of his lungs of how Jeebus and God hated me as I had seduced my father, that I was a jezzebel and a whore. I said "How can an eight year old seduce her father! Isn't that an idea of the secular crowd like Freud?" I was being homeschooled then but my mother had let me read Freud that year for science so I had already heard of his theory of children sexually seducing adults. He shouted that I was evil for saying that and should have been aborted and said that Gawd and Jeebus hated me so much no matter what I would do I would still go to Hell when I die. He started to speak in tongues to "Lay a curse." on me as I "was such a whoremonger for seducing my father". After that he said I should be put in a special school "To get tough love and get the evil beaten out of you and learn to listen to only Christian music!", and that's when my grandmother stepped out from the main chapel. She was really angry seeing this guy screaming at a cowering sobbing teen "Whoremonger! You deserve no love at all, not even tough love, as Gawd and Jeebus hates you!". After she gave him an earful she took me home and called the church up the next day about what happened. I was so depressed I was thinking of suicide after that as I thought "Why did I let Jeebus into my heart, when all he did was break it as he hates me?"

Of course my family talked me into going back to church ( using the bible to show where that fucker of an church counseler was wrong), but everytime I would go and something bad would happen to me I would think it was " Gawd's curse" on me and would quit going for a while. At another church I went to the pastor laughed and looked at me like I was retarded when I said I couldn't attend church because of "Gawd's curse" on me. He didn't understand that as a gullible teenager it was a traumatizing experience.

Guest Big Mac
At another church I went to the pastor laughed and looked at me like I was retarded when I said I couldn't attend church because of "Gawd's curse" on me. He didn't understand that as a gullible teenager it was a traumatizing experience.

Just goes to show Christians are barbaric knuckle-draggers who should be euthanized. Sorry but I get so frustrated by the sheer stupidity of these people. To anyone who believes God had sex with Mary and produced Jesus, you are in a cult.

This story takes place WHEN I was a Christian

My Dad actually told me what happend:

My dad was talking to someone about Lord of the Rings after church. Then the guitar player came up to my dad and started getting mad saying " There is only one lord!" My dad said " But ... don't ...Lord of the Rings is...." The man started to foam at the mouth (not really) He started yelling at my dad and said " The only lord is Jesus Christ" My dad said " Ok...then...." When the guy walked off he told the guy he was talking to "Better not speak of Harry Potter"

Obviousally he is vary un educated about fiction , heck he reads it himelf the Babble.

Now this has to be the best example of fundys at the extreme.

I will tell more stories as this thread continues....There is lots to tell but I want to see what other people have to say.

I was an Atheist when this happened but it was at church so....

I was attending my cousin's Catholic wedding when 57 hours into it the priest told everyone to put their hand to their heart and then extend it out to God and I asked myself where have I seen this before? As they continued to touch their hearts and extend them to God it hit me!

Siege Heil!

Siege Heil!

Siege Heil!

They were doing the Hitler salute!

This is what it looked like...