Goodbye Jesus

Military Commissions Act Of 2006

Kuroikaze

I don't know if anyone else here has heard about this, but this new bill was just passed and it essentally gives the executive branch unlimited power to detain anyone suspected of being a teroist with no judicial checks.

* Grants unprecedented and unchecked authority to the Executive Branch to label as “unlawful enemy combatants” and detain an overly broad range of people, including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents inside the United States

* Denies any independent judicial review of these detentions

* Seeks to eliminate accountability for past violations of the law

* Permits evidence obtained through coercion

* Gives the Secretary of Defense authority to deviate from time-tested military justice standards for fair trials.

Our government is only one step from a facist state now.

http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/media/etn/2006/alert/270/

I'd post more, but I'm about to go to work....I'll be back later

Just wonderful....and they can come out looking like good guys because it says no torture...

Just wonderful....and they can come out looking like good guys because it says no torture...

yeah, and the best part is that with no judicial oversight there won't be any way to guarntee that torture won't happen...so the rule against torture can not be enforced

It also effectively declassifies rape as torture.

Us wimmins had better learn to watch our little mouths...

Utter bullshit...its damned unamerican... i really hope people with brains can read this and see it for the POS it really is.

Is anyone else vaguely worried about the mighty "Fuck you" we just flipped off at the Geneva Convention and the UN? I'm hoping the rest of the world doesn't decide they need to stop us soon.

I'm hoping the rest of the world doesn't decide they need to stop us soon.

I do.

Of course, I also know that I can jump ship if need be and bail into Canada, so...

I agree...maybe WWII IS comming...and maybe we get to play the roll of the overzealous state who gets destroyed by an alliance of nations...

Canada and Australia are lookin gooooooooooood right now.

this kind of shit drives me nuts, because it seems that most people think we are the good guys, just because.

Its dangerous thinking because no government is perfect. I'm seriously thinking about moving out of this country...

I'm waiting to hope the supreme court shoots this law down...its clearly unconstitutional. It basicly shuts down the checks and balances that that are in place to guarntee civil rights.

Shutting down the checks and ballances seems to be a major goal of Buck and Co. With Alito and others on the Supreme Court i doubt they will shoot it down, though others may have the smarts to come out and condemn it.

I do.

Of course, I also know that I can jump ship if need be and bail into Canada, so...

Blargh, then take me with! I wanna go back to Canada. :(

Blargh, then take me with! I wanna go back to Canada. :(

We'll convoy. Just tell me where to meet up with ye :grin:

I know a person who drives a monster of a pickup truck. She can lead the charge over the border :HaHa:

Or maybe we could all go to Mexico and take over :lmao:

LF, if it comes to it, I will meet you in Canada. I recommend going to Windsor. Just...let me convoy with you.

I highly suggest everyone go down to to their libraries and pick up a copy of anything from Alexander Solzhenitsyn. It is damn frightening what a government is capable of when it has the power to label who its enemies are. Everyone who is free thinking enough to disgard xianity may at some point in the future be considered a threat to an overzealous government seeking to dispel dissent. The government is gaining the power to make people's lives miserable, but when the economy remains in good shape there is no need to get carried away. What will happen should the dollar experience a deflationary crisis the way some experts are projecting though? I'm not trying to frighten anyone, just pointing out that it's a good idea to remain informed.

What will happen should the dollar experience a deflationary crisis the way some experts are projecting though? I'm not trying to frighten anyone, just pointing out that it's a good idea to remain informed.

For those that don't understand this, read a little history - particularly the little part where this very thing happened in a "socially modern for its time" nation called Germany. At the time, Germany was a rising star, and rivalled the US in technology and cinema.

And then, they started baking people and turning them into lamp shades, this -- the birthplace of Karl Marx, Albert Einstein, and Sigmund Freud.

WHEN this happens here, expect to be joined by Muslims, illegals, and homosexuals as America pures itself of reason and dissent -- through fire, gas, and assorted injectible poisons. All, so that Our Country ('Tis of Thee) can meet the blessed approval of Our Father (Which Art in Heaven).

Call us paranoid . . . but, all I know is that's its happened before, and that there's nothing like an economic collapse and its potential to unleash American-style xenophobia. We'll put the Germans to shame.

True about the economic collapse, i hadent thought of that. That would make us and Germany nearly the same...lets hope EVERYONE gets to be a painter when that happens...

I do.

Put me down as "Jealous."

A significant part of my motivation for being in college right now is so I can get a degree and make it possible to emmigrate to another country ("True, I'm an American, but I'm not completely worthless! I'm educated--er.. somewhat. Let me move to your country! ...Please?"), but I'm more worried all the time that I'm not going to have the requisite 4-6 years to finish and get the ball rolling on that. No idea what the hell I'm going to do if/when the shit starts hitting the fan and I've barely attained my Bachelor's.

I do.

Put me down as "Jealous."

A significant part of my motivation for being in college right now is so I can get a degree and make it possible to emmigrate to another country ("True, I'm an American, but I'm not completely worthless! I'm educated--er.. somewhat. Let me move to your country! ...Please?"), but I'm more worried all the time that I'm not going to have the requisite 4-6 years to finish and get the ball rolling on that. No idea what the hell I'm going to do if/when the shit starts hitting the fan and I've barely attained my Bachelor's.

I'd be happy to meet you at the border, the northern one (to you, that is) but don't come between November 07 and April 08 as I will be on rotation in Afghanistan. Lucky me!