Goodbye Jesus

Atheist's Are Fools!

philo

Here's a must-see short video on some celebrity atheists.

http://www.infidelguy.com/modules.ph...ew&video_id=80

I happen to think that Jesus and the apostles were opposed to rational and intelligent thinking. Here's a few texts:

1 Corinthians 18–21: “For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, ‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.’ Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Jesus’ words echo the message that Paul was trying to get across about the foolishness of worldly wisdom. Jesus said in Matthew 11:25, “I thank you, Father…because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants…”

Why God is going to destroy the wisdom of the wise is a bit strange. (If God created people, did he not also create them with intelligence?) Why Jesus thanks God for keeping salvation deliberately "hidden" from people is rather disturbing as well.

Quess the question for discussion is, would you rather be a fool? or believe in something that is foolish?

www.escapereligion.com

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Firstly - the link doesn't work.

The point you make about the bible speaking of christianity being foolishness to the wise and vice versa is actually one which ironically helped free me from christianity. To me it's such an obvious attempt at mind control, that when I began questioning and doubting, seeing something like this was just a big red flag that something not right was going on with this religion.

Would you rather be a fool? or believe in something that is foolish?

What's the difference?

Why God is going to destroy the wisdom of the wise is a bit strange. (If God created people, did he not also create them with intelligence?) Why Jesus thanks God for keeping salvation deliberately "hidden" from people is rather disturbing as well.

Quess the question for discussion is, would you rather be a fool? or believe in something that is foolish?

Great video!

I too could never quite understand why if we were created by God and were given a mind that we are not supposed to use it. Because I use common sense, logical reasoning and facts at hand to reach conclusions every day I couldn't turn it off when it came to religion. I'm not sure why others can, maybe I'm just wired differently.

My question would be what is an agnostic? A fool or foolish since they don't know one way or another?

Even though I classify myself as agnostic I lean more toward athiesm so I'm going to have to say I'm a fool. I can't be foolish since I don't truly believe 100% and because I don't believe 100% cannot in good conscience worship something that I am not sure exists.

I too could never quite understand why if we were created by God and were given a mind that we are not supposed to use it.

I agree. Kinda like Bush and our freedoms... :scratch:

I don't believe 100% cannot in good conscience worship something that I am not sure exists.

But the Bible IS proof! Because this book says so it MUST be true cause god wrote the bible! Your just angry at god!

/fundy

I'm not sure why others can, maybe I'm just wired differently.
But we're all wired the same if we're created. :HaHa: Joking of course.

My question would be what is an agnostic? A fool or foolish since they don't know one way or another?

After 15 years in Christianity I was agnostic, but now consider myself about 99.9% atheist. I look at it this way. If I don't believe now, what went wrong? Was it God's fault that he couldn't change me? Or was it god's fault that he created me differently?

But the Bible IS proof! Because this book says so it MUST be true cause god wrote the bible! Your just angry at god!

I'm new at posting here so don't quite know where you're coming from Warrior. But were you joking here? Had to ask, because I'm not angry with god.

yes this is one I have seen many times its great :grin:

After 15 years in Christianity I was agnostic, but now consider myself about 99.9% atheist. I look at it this way. If I don't believe now, what went wrong? Was it God's fault that he couldn't change me? Or was it god's fault that he created me differently?

Doesn't matter he either created us or couldn't change us. Either way it's his fault. :HaHa:

Now Warrior kidding or not you know I have to ask this but how on earth can I possibly be mad at something I don't believe in? I can be mad at religion, hypocritical people who attend church and sit in the pews and repent for their sins that they committed during the week so they can go out and do more or even at the churches and preachers who want to make disciples out of every one but how can I possibly be mad at something I don't truly believe exists? Just because some book says so, heck I can write a book about something, it be completely false and maybe 1,000 years from now someone will find it and think it actually happened. Since books weren't labeled back then as non-fiction or fiction it's kinda hard to say it is true.

The fool says in his heart "there is no God".

The wise man says it out loud.

:Hmm:

Unknowing1 said:

Doesn't matter he either created us or couldn't change us. Either way it's his fault.

My point exactly, but you said it more funnily. Then you said:

Now Warrior kidding or not you know I have to ask this but how on earth can I possibly be mad at something I don't believe in?

Maybe he'll get back to this post. . . I was mad at god when I first left Christianity. But then I realized, if Christianity was teaching me so many wrong things about life, it was also teaching me wrong things about God.

Anyway, your points well taken. I am not angry with god as "it" is merely a concept. I can no more thank it or blame it for anything

Now Warrior kidding or not you know I have to ask this but how on earth can I possibly be mad at something I don't believe in?

That was my point. And I was kidding hence my

/fundy
at the end.

I'm new at posting here so don't quite know where you're coming from Warrior. But were you joking here? Had to ask, because I'm not angry with god.

Yea I joke sometimes. Rarely though.

Thinking rationally is a wonderful thing.

Mythra, that's awesome. :grin:

Warrior,

I figured you were but of course either way I had to come back at ya. :grin:

philo,

I'm new posting here as well. But you will find some folks on the forum are mad with God. They are still in the deconversion stage and anger at God is a normal feeling to have. I equate it to grief. They are losing someone/something very important to their life. There are certain stages of grief and anger is one of them. Anger at the person who died. It is a perfectly healthy, normal feeling to have. Some folks here too come from very fundamentalist backgrounds and went through some very tramatic situations. When I read some of the testamonials and forums my heart breaks. While I have had some issues with religion, it pales in comparision to what they are and have been going through.

Sometime we do have fundy's who come here to start problems/debates. The mods do a great job in reining them in. Warrior isn't one of them, I've read some of his/her postings in the past and really thought they were kidding. But even if he/she were a fundy, I'm always open for new ideas, thoughts and opinions. And you never know someone just may offer proof that would make me see things a different way.

Finally, welcome to the forums you will find you are among friends.

Mythra,

So cool, thanks for sharing that.

Most insightful unknowing1 and thanks for the welcome:

But you will find some folks on the forum are mad with God. They are still in the deconversion stage and anger at God is a normal feeling to have. I equate it to grief. They are losing someone/something very important to their life.

I've written a short piece on being angry with God. I'll just post the link for anyone that is interested. http://www.escapereligion.com/escape_religion_step_7.html

I'd add that Christians, when they leave the religion, are losing what they thought were two personal relationships, One with God and the other with Jesus. I've been there myself.

It's one thing to stop believing in say the doctrine of hell. But another thing altogether to realize that God does not answer prayer. But then, it's also wonderful to not have to blame god and be angry with him for causing some calamity in your life. I could go on and on. . .

Hey philo,

Thanks for the link. So true what you wrote. Just Awesome.

I think had I had something like that to see when I was working through it, it would have made it easier for me. While I am new to the forum, I'm not new to my beliefs. I've been struggling with it all for almost 30 years. It started when I was 13 so I wasn't too indoctrinated yet. Back when I first began to question I thought perhaps I was crazy, you never heard of anyone who didn't believe and we didn't have the tools (such as the internet) available that we have today. I mean how could I not believe the Bible or that Jesus was who everyone professed him to be. I still believed that God existed but as I got older and wiser (just reading the paper, watching the news, seeing people behave and researching history) I started to believe that God really wasn't here now and I really didn't know if he ever truly was.

I am way past anger with God but the more that I read and hear about organized religion the madder I get with it and some of the people who are in it and I'm not sure I want that anger to go away.

That video makes me so proud to be an atheist. It reminds me that there are a lot of great men and women out there who made it without an imaginary friend in the sky.

That video makes me so proud to be an atheist. It reminds me that there are a lot of great men and women out there who made it without an imaginary friend in the sky.

That video gives me goose bumps. Not that I consider myself all that intelligent, I just know how to doubt real good. I started learning a lot after learning how to doubt!:HaHa: We're in good company eh?

A few quotes:

All thinking men are atheists. Ernest Hemingway

Atheism is the vice of a few intelligent people. Voltaire

No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism. Annie Wood Besant

Unknowing posted:

I am way past anger with God but the more that I read and hear about organized religion the madder I get with it and some of the people who are in it and I'm not sure I want that anger to go away.

Likewise, perhaps you have the true spirit of the COUNTER-Evangelist. :thanks: Glad you enjoyed the small article. It took me about 15 years to write it, if you know what I mean. . .

Here's a must-see short video on some celebrity atheists.

http://www.infidelguy.com/modules.ph...ew&video_id=80

I happen to think that Jesus and the apostles were opposed to rational and intelligent thinking. Here's a few texts:

1 Corinthians 18–21: “For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, ‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.’ Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

:)Hey Philo! You did put this topic in the Lion's Den... so I guess I can be fair game. :eek:

First, I was not able to access that site either. :shrug:

IMO, you're very perceptive in that it is a bit strange to distroy the wisdom of the wise. However, if you study the text from which the KJV was taken, you will find the wisdom of the wise God wants to distroy is the religious right, the fundamentalist. :ohmy: So to distroy their wisdom would make sense, right? Those verses are found here and the definition of the 'wise' with wisdom to distroy can be found here.

Jesus’ words echo the message that Paul was trying to get across about the foolishness of worldly wisdom. Jesus said in Matthew 11:25, “I thank you, Father…because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants…”

Philo, I don't think it was salvation the story is trying to hold secret. I don't know if 'Jesus' even existed, but, IMO, I think a man that these stories are focused and expounded upon did exist. You can find all the rest of these verses around that one here. Researching these words by just clicking on any word on that site will give you the meaning from the manuscript from which the KJV was taken. It seems to be saying that those in the religous right have these things hidden from them, yet given to those who come as though they don't know everything yet... are willing to learn and judge more critically... as those on this site, IMO.

Neither, that's why I'm on this site. :)

Mythra, that's awesome. :grin:

I know. Mythra always has 'sobering' responses. :)