Goodbye Jesus

Physicists In Japan Plan To Create New Universe In Lab

Biggles7268

http://www.casavaria.com/sentido/science/2...ew-universe.htm

A radical new project could permit human beings to create a "baby universe" in a laboratory in Japan. While it sounds like a dangerous undertaking, the physicists involved believe that if the project is successful, the space-time around a tiny point within our universe will be distorted in such a way that it will begin to form a new superfluid space, and eventually break off, separate in all respects from our experience of space and time, causing no harm to the fabric of our universe.

It must take incredible energy to screw around with space time. I hope they know what they're doing.

Why does the description of what they're doing make me nervous?

The whole thing does seem a little scary but I like what they are doing. It seems to me all they are doing is trying to figure out where WE came from. How the universe started and how we ended up here could be some answers that are answered.

I am no scientist but it seems to me that if they intend on doing this here on earth the project may be flawed due to the earths constant gravitational pull. Sure the universe may have been created in a giant vacuum but it did not have a giant gravitational field pulling it one direction.

That's just my observation anyway :grin:

So are we going to be that new universe's gods? Shotgun on the lightning ability! :grin:

This experiment will be something amazing if they succeed but it's too bad we'll never be able to go inside and explore this new universe a bit since it will be sundered from ours.

So are we going to be that new universe's gods? Shotgun on the lightning ability! :grin:

I got shotgun on the sex god thing :HaHa:

I am no scientist but it seems to me that if they intend on doing this here on earth the project may be flawed due to the earths constant gravitational pull. Sure the universe may have been created in a giant vacuum but it did not have a giant gravitational field pulling it one direction.

I am no scientist either but I think thts where the superfluidness comes in. :shrug:

This will be very cool if they get it to work. Somehow I can picture Japan not being there anymore when they try this...

This will be very cool if they get it to work. Somehow I can picture Japan not being there anymore when they try this...

Sounds like a good idea. Call it wishful thinking but maybe it will suck up North Korea all the terrorist cells and my ex gf too. :HaHa:

Damn!

I got shotgun on the sex god thing :HaHa:

Double damn!

...Wait, I've got it!

Dibs on Q! :lmao:

Hey! Not before I go to Tokyo and hit the shops.

• 2 weeks later...

coolest thing every!

I meant ever. of course.

I know a little physics, and I'll say there is almost no risk for doing this. That "baby" universe ultimately adheres to the same physical laws as this universe. Due to quantum randomness, it will probably disintegrate in fractions of a second.

The universe won't get eaten by the evil baby universe I swear.

First of all- Stratovarius is a pretty cool band.

Second, I think the point is that this new universe will not have the same physical laws as ours. Though I'm not expecting this to work either,

Shouldn't scientist start off by recreating something a little simpler. Like I don't know, abiogenesis. Creating a universe seems too advanced. Besides they might screw up and make a black hole. Then whoosh!!! No more solar system!!

Shouldn't scientist start off by recreating something a little simpler. Like I don't know, abiogenesis. Creating a universe seems too advanced. Besides they might screw up and make a black hole. Then whoosh!!! No more solar system!!

Actually it's far simpler to accelerate protons to enormous energies than to get abiogenesis. It happens all the time in the universe, our own sun is producing millions of tons of it every second but abiogenesis seems a bit rare for now. Creating a universe is a simple task if you've got enough energy, keeping it is harder. About the black hole thing, even if they were to succeed in making one it would be so small, smaller than a millionth of the size of an atom nucleus, that it would evaporate under Hawking's Radiation in less than a billionth of a second.

To quote http://www.kressworks.com/Science/A_black_...e_my_planet.htm

Well, the smallest possible black hole is around 10^-35 metres across (the so-called Planck Length). Anything smaller just gets wiped out by the quantum fluctuations in space-time around it. But even such a tiny black hole would weigh around 10 micrograms--about the same as a speck of dust. To create objects with so much mass by collisions in a particle accelerator demands energies of 10^19 giga-electronvolts, so the most powerful existing collider is ten million billion times too feeble to make a black hole. Scaling up today's technology, we would need an accelerator as big as the Galaxy to do it.

And even then, the resulting black hole wouldn't be big enough to swallow the Earth. Such a tiny black hole would evaporate in 10-42 seconds in a blast of Hawking radiation, a process discovered by Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. To last long enough even to begin sucking in matter rather than going off pop, a black hole would have to be many orders of magnitude bigger. According to Cliff Pickover, author of Black Holes: A Traveler's Guide, "Even a black hole with the mass of Mount Everest would have a radius of only about 10-15 metres, roughly the size of an atomic nucleus. Current thinking is that it would be hard for such a black hole to swallow anything at all--even consuming a proton or neutron would be difficult."

So really I wouldn't worry :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Dark Helmet, check the spelling on "schitzophrenia"(sic). I am schizophrenic. Ya gotta leave out the 't'. But God doesn't talk to me...the Devil does!(according to fundies, anyway!lol). I would think that coherence of Zero Point Energy(if it exists) would provide an adequate power source, but that open's a can of worm's too. How do you contain energy, of which a teacup full would generate the power of the Sun.(according to one physicist's postulation)

Actually it's far simpler to accelerate protons to enormous energies than to get abiogenesis. It happens all the time in the universe, our own sun is producing millions of tons of it every second but abiogenesis seems a bit rare for now. Creating a universe is a simple task if you've got enough energy, keeping it is harder. About the black hole thing, even if they were to succeed in making one it would be so small, smaller than a millionth of the size of an atom nucleus, that it would evaporate under Hawking's Radiation in less than a billionth of a second.

To quote http://www.kressworks.com/Science/A_black_...e_my_planet.htm

Well, the smallest possible black hole is around 10^-35 metres across (the so-called Planck Length). Anything smaller just gets wiped out by the quantum fluctuations in space-time around it. But even such a tiny black hole would weigh around 10 micrograms--about the same as a speck of dust. To create objects with so much mass by collisions in a particle accelerator demands energies of 10^19 giga-electronvolts, so the most powerful existing collider is ten million billion times too feeble to make a black hole. Scaling up today's technology, we would need an accelerator as big as the Galaxy to do it.

And even then, the resulting black hole wouldn't be big enough to swallow the Earth. Such a tiny black hole would evaporate in 10-42 seconds in a blast of Hawking radiation, a process discovered by Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. To last long enough even to begin sucking in matter rather than going off pop, a black hole would have to be many orders of magnitude bigger. According to Cliff Pickover, author of Black Holes: A Traveler's Guide, "Even a black hole with the mass of Mount Everest would have a radius of only about 10-15 metres, roughly the size of an atomic nucleus. Current thinking is that it would be hard for such a black hole to swallow anything at all--even consuming a proton or neutron would be difficult."

So really I wouldn't worry :grin:

The whole thing does seem a little scary but I like what they are doing. It seems to me all they are doing is trying to figure out where WE came from. How the universe started and how we ended up here could be some answers that are answered.

That's just my observation anyway :grin:

I like the way you think mate but no. The earths pull is pathetic. Gravity itself is miniscule. Think about the chair you are sitting on right now. All your weight is supported by 4 small discs of floor where the legs are. electrstatic attraction holds the floor together (so you don't fall through) and this tiny amount of force is holding off the pulling force of the entire earth pulling you the other way!!!

Compared to the other forces, gravity is puny.

I like the way you think mate but no. The earths pull is pathetic. Gravity itself is miniscule. Think about the chair you are sitting on right now. All your weight is supported by 4 small discs of floor where the legs are. electrstatic attraction holds the floor together (so you don't fall through) and this tiny amount of force is holding off the pulling force of the entire earth pulling you the other way!!!

I love this realization that gravity is such a weak force compared to the all the others. I recall a program on String Theory talking about how those graviton particles may be so weak because they exist and are spread out across multiple universes. I also recall they were building a huge particle accelerator in Europe somewhere large enough where they may be able to observe a graviton particle exit this universe. I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding it, but I find the idea fascinating. Could this lead to sending coded messages to other universes through graviton pulses? The fodder of science fiction.

BTW neverclear, nice to have you on this site. :grin:

BTW neverclear, nice to have you on this site. :grin:

Cheers mate, nice to be here. I did see that theory somewhere, the problem is how would we know what was being said if we share no common language? the concept might not exist there. The important thing to remember is that we're not talking about alternative earth with alternative antlerman, talking to alternative neverclear. There may be no matter, or a different kind, it ay all be antimatter. Also we wouldn't know where to send it, assuming aiming would even be possible in the newly discovered dimension. I think that ones mired in sci-fi for a while yet, if not forever.

I'm afraid the problem with string theory and the like is that it is not really testable. We know there are atoms because we bounced off something smaller. we couldn't detect a string unless there was some smaller thing, which wouldn't then be string theory. The dimension one would be difficult to test as we only experience 4 dimensions and if there are more in the universe (some say about 11, some more) then we won't be able to "experience" them.

The huge colliders are mainly in europe. Try looking up CERN it has most of them. The biggest is so huge its built underground in a huge ring. It's so big it crosses a border and contains an entire town and a lot of countryside!

Some think that black holes are pumping matter (energy) into other universes.

It would be interesting to see where all that matter goes.

Maybe it is just a method of one universe strip mining another for matter :grin:

Gravity is amazing though

You feel the full force of its strength with very large masses, its effects are on a macro scale. Our star is so massive that its able to bend space and keep matter beyond Pluto rolling around it :twitch:

Black holes are so massive that photons can't escape and we can't see them directly. Some think that black holes are pumping matter (energy) into other universes.

Well, yeah, its amazing. But it really is a ridiculusly puny force when compared to the others (from a physicist point of view) as we have these vast masses but they really don't do that much. A fly beating its tiny wings can create more force than the entire planet pulling on it via gravity.

The huge colliders are mainly in europe. Try looking up CERN it has most of them. The biggest is so huge its built underground in a huge ring. It's so big it crosses a border and contains an entire town and a lot of countryside!

This is very cool.

Hey, Dark Helmet, check the spelling on "schitzophrenia"(sic). I am schizophrenic. Ya gotta leave out the 't'. But God doesn't talk to me...the Devil does!(according to fundies, anyway!lol). I would think that coherence of Zero Point Energy(if it exists) would provide an adequate power source, but that open's a can of worm's too. How do you contain energy, of which a teacup full would generate the power of the Sun.(according to one physicist's postulation)

Bah I copy pasted Taph's comment. Don't shoot the messenger. :HaHa:

Zero point energy, yeah that would be nice but very dangerous to toy with. But if we could just tap into a fraction of it we might be able to keep our collective asses safe from global warming and pollution. Imagine, a single power plant could power the whole earth! :D woo!