Goodbye Jesus

The Irony Of Sheep In The Bible

LosingMyReligion

Several times in the Bible x-tians are referred to as Sheep, and Jesus the good shepherd and all that jazz...

I know it is supposed to mean that sheep are loyal and "pure" and gentle and blase, blase, blase...

But, it is sort of funny too. Because, as we all know, sheep are really dumb livestock (possibly dumber than cows). They don't think for themselves; they are preyed upon by stronger animals; and they don't question anything. If someone leads them off a cliff they'll go over, no questions asked...

Could the Bible authors be speaking in code...possibly saying that they think Christians are morons? :shrug:

I doubt it, but I find it funny being compared to a lamb.

Several times in the Bible x-tians are referred to as Sheep, and Jesus the good shepherd and all that jazz...

I know it is supposed to mean that sheep are loyal and "pure" and gentle and blase, blase, blase...

But, it is sort of funny too. Because, as we all know, sheep are really dumb livestock (possibly dumber than cows). They don't think for themselves; they are preyed upon by stronger animals; and they don't question anything. If someone leads them off a cliff they'll go over, no questions asked...

Could the Bible authors be speaking in code...possibly saying that they think Christians are morons? :shrug:

I doubt it too, but this conjures funny memories.

I worked on a farm once, I'd say sheep are definately dumber than cows. Onery too. They get nasty if you try to make them deviate from the norm (like going up a ramp to get sheared). I remember helping an old farmer wrangle sheep to be sheared, and the sheep kept balking going up the ramp. When they did that, he'd jam his thumb under their tail. He said, "Yeah, you just push the "button" under their tail and that'll make 'em go." By george, he was right. I was still a kid then and I wasn't strong enough to grab the sheep like that, but it was funny to watch.

And no, he didn't actually mean the anus. I'm not sure WHAT he was pushing on under there but damn, those sheep did whatever he wanted just so he wouldn't do it again!

So when I hear phrases about "guiding the flock" or whatever, that's the image that comes to mind. :lmao:

Several times in the

Well, now that you mention it, I am thinking about this stupid metaphor. To me, this metaphor could be used to explain to anyone why Christianity is an abusive cult. When Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd," he was basically saying:

You are as dumb as sheep and without me you are nothing.

Doesn't it sound a lot like what abusive husbands say to battered wives?

I never did buy that humans/lamb of god analogy. even when I used to believe and was sent to christian schools it sounded like bullshit.

Look at what it means to be a "sheep" today. It's a follower, usually one that just blindly follows. Sounds like a perfect Christian to me.

Well, Jesus said "Without me, you can do nothing". And I used to believe that I was a complete wreck without Jesus. Thankfully I've worked out otherwise.

When I was a christian and part of my last church, I was such a good sheep who followed the pastors without questioning. But I think there were always issues under the surface.

I was one of those who always questioned christianity...But I forced myself to be a sheep. If I thought too much I was certain that I was being led by satan and destined for hell.

Christianity is a mind job. I hate it. Glad I left.

Has anyone ever given thought to the viscious freakin' dog that the Shepherd uses?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would that be Satan or Hell? I'm not sure but everybody wants to talk about the benevolant freakin' shepherd. "Oh isn't Jebus Gooooooodddd!!!!!!!!"

Well who owns the dog? The freakin' shepherd!

Yea, if Jebus loved me so much why does he let the damn dog scare the freakin' hell out of me?????

It's interesting that believers were considered like sheep, and non-believers considered like goats.

The devil is often depicted as being half goat.

It is likely that the demonised images of Satan, as depicted in Christian literature and art, were taken from the images of Pan.

In Greek mythology the Greek god Pan (son of Hermes) was depicted also as being half goat. He was said to watch over shepherds and their sheep as a protector.

The head of the goat is often used to portray Satan and Satanistic practices.

Sheep were preferred for making sacrificies to the gods in ancient Greece. If a sheep was not to be found then a goat was to be used in its stead, but only after it had been purified.

So sheep were good, and goats were bad!

I never liked that comparison either, even when I was an xtian. I would always think "who the fuck wants to be a sheep? They are dumb, weak and can't do anything on their own."

I doubt that it's code, but it certainly speaks volumes about the nature of the religion.

It's interesting that believers were considered like sheep, and non-believers considered like goats.

You know, I never quite got that. Goats are good for milk and meat, they are very hardy and can survive easily on stuff sheep can't, they are easier and cheaper to care for, and they are about as intelligent as the average dog. If you treat them right, they can also be quite lovable and trainable.

Anybody know exactly why goats are Biblically less desirable than sheep? I know pigs and pork had practical reasons behind it because of trichanosis, but what's the difference with goats?

Perhaps it's because goats, apparently, are a lot harder to control, and are temperamental. Sheep on the other hand are, as people here have said, "dumb," or easier to coax. Where sheep wil often follow one-another, goats will not.