Goodbye Jesus

Insomnia

Amethyst

I hate insomnia. I hate insomnia. I really, really hate insomnia. :ugh:

I also hate taking sleeping pills. Oh well, it's not like I have to be anywhere tomorrow morning.

I don't have insomnia...just trouble sleeping at night. Which sounds like the same thing...no my sleeping patterns are screwed.

I sleep fine during the day, but no dice at night.

Ugh I hate it.

I've tried melatonin. It helps somewhat, but not all the time. I should probably try cutting back on caffeine. I've been drinking more since I've been home during the day.

Valerian root helps too. If you don't mind wacky dreams.

I kind of like them.

I'm no stranger to insomnia. I've battled with it since I was 16. My problem is I can fall asleep just fine, but I can't STAY asleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm up. No exceptions.

I've discovered it helped a lot to cut out refined white flour out of my diet. I try to eat whole wheat most of the time, and if I eat anything refined white flour, I do it before noon.

Making sure to exercise daily helps. A LOT. A good cardio workout in the afternoon will zonk you out every night.

I also don't drink caffine after three pm, don't drink fluids after 8pm, and try to eat a small snack like crackers or something before bed (blood sugar crashes will wake you up).

Melatonin helps, but it won't keep me asleep all night and I don't want to take it too close to the time I'm supposed to be getting up anyway. So I bought some hypnosis tapes and have had a lot of good results with them helping me get my mind to shut up and calm down so I can get back to sleep.

Valerian root helps too. If you don't mind wacky dreams.
Wacky dreams? I've taken valerian occasionally and never noticed. (makes mental note to try some tonight)

I frequently have insomnia, mainly because the gears in my brain keep spinning long after bedtime. I'm also a big fan of caffeine and find that it takes a minimum of six hours to clear my system -- For me, that means that an after-work coffee is generally not a good idea.

Once in a while, if feeling stiff and achy, I resort to taking an aspirin or aspirin+ibuprofen at bedtime. I do tend to sleep much better on those nights.

But absolutely the best way to get solid ZZZ's is to take a bath and wash my hair right before bedtime, then wrap up my wet hair in a towel. I usually fall asleep very fast and stay asleep. (My theory is that the wet hair cools down my head a couple of degrees.)