Goodbye Jesus

101 Contradictions In The Old Testament

Stratovarius

seven items in, and I already don't like this list:

7. God was pleased with his creation. Gen.1:31

God was not pleased with his creation. Gen.6:6

This is pathetic. Obviously, the Hebrew God was pleased with his creation when he first created it, but displeased when it fell into disorder at the hands of "man's wickedness." Why do people feel so desperate to make massive lists full of poorly fabricated contradictions, when it would be far more effective (no to mention more accurate) to list a dozen of the better ones.

I agree. By taking statements out of their context, you're creating strawmen, which is no better than the fabricated arguments of the theists/xtians.

I'm quite aware there are glaring contradictions in the bible, and I'd rather see the ones that are truly contradictory even in their context.

The 101 contradictions are just a good place to start, now go do your homework and actually look them up and investigate them in their context to see if they truly contradict each other.

That would be the intellectually honest thing to do, far more helpful than copying a link, and win the admiration of many here.

Good points Fonkey. I've always thought that most of the contradictions profered by those sources were easily debunked and pooh poohed by "true believers" and as such ineffective. This distracts from the fact that the major claims make no sense and allows tbs to go off on red herrings when defending their faith.

Lists like these are the first place I looked when I started investigating biblical errancy. Seems to be where most folks go. It's just easy and, let's face it, contradictions aren't supposed to exist in the bible so these things can be like getting hit with ice cold water (like the attrocities lists and the rest).

Once the novelty wears off do as suggested and really dig into these lists since not all contradictions are really contradictions. A better (IMO), but still not without problems (since they too pick nits), list would be at the SAB.

mwc

Yeah. It kinda started out good by pointing out the blatant contradictions of the order of creation, but it becomes fairly obvious soon after that a number of these are simply superficial and laden with fallacies. Unfortunately, that's just a free ticket for theists to ignore the list entirely.

Plus, lists don't really present an argument. If you want to see some honest scholarship, check this site out: http://www.inerrancyexposed.com/

Not only does it correct a few of the misconceptions that non-believers have about the Bible, it actually shows where the apologists themselves tend to attempt corrections where no correction is needed! Hilarious!

I was not trying to win the admiration of anyone here. Also, I know the honest thing to do would be to take into the context of such verses but I don't have time for that kind of thing.

I was bringing it to attention so that maybe someone else can do it. This thread has 100 views. The general knowledge of the world has already expanded in some way just for people at least glancing at the page.

Nice one asshole.

I was not trying to win the admiration of anyone here. Also, I know the honest thing to do would be to take into the context of such verses but I don't have time for that kind of thing.

I was bringing it to attention so that maybe someone else can do it. This thread has 100 views. The general knowledge of the world has already expanded in some way just for people at least glancing at the page.

Nice one asshole.

What you cite in the OP is fine, but it is a quick 'n' easy, food for thought at best. If any initial questioners are among those 100 views, hopefully they will investigate in more depth.

From "inerrancyexposed.com:

----

"In Luke and Mark, this Greek word for "dying" is better translated "dead." Jarius' daughter was dead when he approached Jesus for help."

- Jason Gastrich, Skeptics Annotated Bible: Corrected and Explained

Even though he makes this assertion with the air of authority, it is clear that Jason Gastrich is no master of Greek. Read what he wrote, and notice that Gastrich refers to "this Greek word for dying" in "Luke and Mark". Hang on, Mr Gastrich - which Greek word? For Luke and Mark use completely different words for "dying"!! Luke uses apethnesken ("was dying"); while Mark uses a phrase, eschatos echei ("is at the point of death").

----

HA HA HA, awesome

Nice one asshole.

I really don't think there's any call to get nasty. Nobody attacked you personally. They mentioned that they didn't like the list because of all the fallacious "conflicts" in the list. Don't think people are attacking you just for making suggestions.

seven items in, and I already don't like this list:

7. God was pleased with his creation. Gen.1:31

God was not pleased with his creation. Gen.6:6

Well, now - wait a minute. This may not be an outright contradiction, but it certainly raises some difficulties. God was pleased with his creation at first, but then dissapointed when it didn't go the way he planned?

What happened to his omniscience? Was God unable to foresee the future?

:Hmm:

Although I don't think that's what the author of the list was getting at, you make a good point Mithra. The Bible describes God in many contradictory ways, and this is a good example.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I don't think that's what the author of the list was getting at, you make a good point Mithra. The Bible describes God in many contradictory ways, and this is a good example.

Biblical contradictions don't bother me because I do not worship the Bible, as sadly it seems some do--or nearly so.

Take Abraham Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address" of November 1963. There are several versions printed in contemporary newspapers and in Lincoln's own hand. Words are left out, added, changed. And we have no idea if Lincoln emphasized "of," "by," and "for," or "the people" when he asserted that this "government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

Yet, Lincoln went to Gettysburg and gave a great speech! Contradictions are not troublesome if the Bible is not one's god.

-currentchristian in massachusetts

Yet, Lincoln went to Gettysburg and gave a great speech! Contradictions are not troublesome if the Bible is not one's god.

True. But they are for the great masses of Christians who consider the bible the inerrant word of God. And if the bible isn't perfect, how do you know which parts to trust as factual? Was there really a garden of Eden? The flood? Etc.? Now, if you don't believe in a literal bible that ok. You can take some as factual and some as metaphor or translation errors. But then you're back to which parts are supposed to be factual and which are errors/metaphors.

For a system that's supposed to provide absolute truths, it seems awfully subjective to me...

IMOHO,

:thanks:

Any of you ever take the "Gospel Story Quiz" under 'Introductory Stuff' in the left column of this page? It's pretty cool.

Rob