Goodbye Jesus

Any Part Of The Bible You Still Find Inspiring?

Max

actually, I know quite a few Christians who would say ecclesiastes is their favorite book, or at least up there pretty high... and we're doing song of songs for our chapel theme this semester at college...

I love Ecclesiastes.

I am no longer a Christian, but I still like Ecclesiates myself CC.

actually, I know quite a few Christians who would say ecclesiastes is their favorite book, or at least up there pretty high... and we're doing song of songs for our chapel theme this semester at college...

Song of Songs is erotica. I wonder how it ever made it in the Bible? Glad it did, but wonder how. When was the last time anyone heard a sermon based on the more amorous passages of Song of Songs, like these:

My lover is to me a sachet of myrrh resting between my breasts

Your two breasts are like two fawns, like twin fawns of a gazelle that browse among the lilies.

Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit.

How handsome you are, my lover!

Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest

is my lover among the young men.

I delight to sit in his shade,

and his fruit is sweet to my taste.

His arms are rods of gold

set with chrysolite.

His body is like polished ivory

decorated with sapphires.

His legs are pillars of marble

set on bases of pure gold.

His appearance is like Lebanon,

choice as its cedars.

--currentchristian in massachusetts

Song of Songs is erotica. I wonder how it ever made it in the Bible? Glad it did, but wonder how. When was the last time anyone heard a sermon based on the more amorous passages of Song of Songs, like these:

My lover is to me a sachet of myrrh resting between my breasts

Your two breasts are like two fawns, like twin fawns of a gazelle that browse among the lilies.

Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit.

How handsome you are, my lover!

Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest

is my lover among the young men.

I delight to sit in his shade,

and his fruit is sweet to my taste.

His arms are rods of gold

set with chrysolite.

His body is like polished ivory

decorated with sapphires.

His legs are pillars of marble

set on bases of pure gold.

His appearance is like Lebanon,

choice as its cedars.

--currentchristian in massachusetts

ha ha yeah... so here's the story: I work for our campus newspaper. Every year we publish an "onion"-esque special issue. Last year, I wrote a humorous piece about how the college had announced that the chapel theme for next semester would be 'song of songs'

Our chaplain decided to "take that challenge"

Basically, he's been focusing on looking at the picture of what love is that we find in Song of Songs behind the erotica and polygamy... I've actually been suprised at how much credibility there actually is to a more spiritual reading of the book..

personally, however, I still think it's main purpose for being in the bible is just to show how awesome sex is and that God is cool with it ;-)