Goodbye Jesus

Christian Overload

LosingMyReligion

It seems like I can't go anywhere or do anything without having the religion shoved down my throat.

Granted, when I was still in the religion I was happy about that. Now it feels like I have no where to turn.

Yesterday, I was in my health class. We were having a lecture about cancer and ways to cure and prevent it. Needless to say we didn't discuss any major scientific finds. My professor--this really old guy--started a dialogue with an old(she looked like she was in 50's)fundie student about divine intervention for cancer therapy...

Okay, how in the hell is that going to benefit me on the final exam?

My old professor(who looks like he is approaching 90)went on and on about how a woman at his church prayed away her cancer tumor. He said that one day she had a malignant cancer the size of a grapefruit; and the next day, after she went to church(of course), she was completely healed.

Then he started talking about having to have alot of faith for that to happen...

I was actually shocked that the rest of the class thought he was just as crazy as I did. But no one said a damn thing because he is all about his church and he might flunk us as divine retribution...

Anyway, after that, I get home and watch Oprah...

Long story short there is this couple, from Asia, on there who were brought over to America after being child slaves. They ended up getting married and starting a housing business...Of course they start testifying about the miraculous power of the Judeo Christian god(while there are millions of other children that are still slaves, of course)...

I mean, people don't even talk about a generic god. They just immediately start all this christian bullshit.

Oprah starts talking about how she dreamed of having a backyard with a tree when she was a little girl in Mississippi. Then she said that she has several forests outside of her backyard(s)...Then she said, and I quote, "God can dream a bigger dream for you than you can."

I'm thinking, "Bitch...You made a few billion dollars by running your goddamn mouth. Of course you can afford to have a forest in your back yard."

I just had Christian overload yesterday. :shrug:

I got one question...why're you watching Oprah??? I mean there must have been some Gomer Pyle reruns on or something.

The classroom incident looks like good news to me though. Two throwaway braindeads help cement some anti-fundie attitudes in the rest of the class.

Have you ever heard the car wreck analogy? That is why I watch Oprah... :lmao:

I swear my college is an unofficial Christian school...I am glad I'm almost done.

Bummer about having to go through that kind of crap. I wonder if that Asian couple had praised Allah or some pagan pantheon, would they get the same regards? It feels like fundies are getting more and more obnoxious with their faith-shoving. Just look at Bill O'Riley's whining about "christian persecution" and all the t-shows who are letting him do this (The View, Oprah, etc).

Yeah, I empathize. There are days when I get religion overload, be it from the Christians or the Muslims or whoever. I am so tired of all the religion hype, and wish I lived on another planet.

I'm stuck in a semi-rural small Missouri town. Oh yes.

I feel sorry for the Asian people I know, because Joyce Meyers (who, as you all know, reigns over Fenton from her summit on high) keeps on trying to convert them.

I've given up reading the newspaper. Every time I try to read the letters to the editor I get so pissed I just want to scream. More disgustingly ignorant aping and glorifying of ultra-conservative "values" could not be found.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had Christian overload yesterday. :shrug:

I totally hear you!

It's the same way for me this weekend. I feel like I don't even belong in my own country right now. This is CANADA!!! CHRISTIANS should reign SUPREME, right?!! :banghead: I'll spare the details, but yeah, I don't know, I just feel really weird and alone now... *sigh*

It seems like I can't go anywhere or do anything without having the religion shoved down my throat......

Then push back! Someone asked me to donate to some christian missionary. I told them that missionaries should be shot and that they have no business forcing their asinine religion on defenseless people. They started to say something and I told them to not even try. I too have had enough of this crap.

LOL. I wish I were bold enough to say that! lol

Yeah, I can understand the "Xian overload" feeling. Especially now, with shitty Xmas songs playing in work, making me wish I brought my CD player and some Slayer and Gorgoroth to blast away the depressing sentimental bullshit :P

That'll be my plan tomorrow :Duivel7:

Haha... but ZOMG!!! Wouldn't that make you Satan's soldier in Teh WAR ON CHRISTMAS??!!! OH NOOES!! 9_9

This thread is just what I need! I am bombarded every single day in my KINDERGARTEN classroom with christian brainwashed children spouting insane nonsense. Example:one of my christian students stabbed our class pet guinea pig in the eye this week with scissors so that I had to take it to the vet and then home with me to recuperate. When I told the children why the gp wasn't at school the next morning, of course no one owned up to the stabbing but the children suggested that we "pray and pray and pray" for the gp so she would get well!!!

Meanwhile the christian teachers make fun of students behind their backs calling them "gay", even little 1st graders!!!! I watched helplessly as 2 teachers made fun of one little boy, laughing at him about wanting to brush a girl's hair. They laughed so much and so hard that the children who were near overheard and joined in making fun of him. He was practically in tears.

One day I even overheard a VERY fundamentally christian parent talking about how someone she knew had her 8 month pregnant uterus ruptured in a car accident and claimed that it must have been god's will that she never have children!!!! How horrible is this?????/

I have to tolerate listening to the lord's prayer every single morning over the intercom in this non-religious private school where I teach.

I haven't "come out" as an atheist. I really think the parents would demand that I be fired if they knew that I wasn't "one of them."

How do I deal with this on a daily basis? I'm ready to sream!!

This thread is just what I need! ...

I haven't "come out" as an atheist. I really think the parents would demand that I be fired if they knew that I wasn't "one of them."

You can't deal with it until you come out -- unless you out Christian them. When the teachers pick on a child tell them it would be better for them to have a mill stone around their neck and be thrown into the sea than cause one of these little ones to fail.

Jesus told you not to let the guinea pig come back to school until its enemy confesses his/her sin.

Fight fire with fire.

This thread is just what I need! I am bombarded every single day in my KINDERGARTEN classroom with christian brainwashed children spouting insane nonsense. Example:one of my christian students stabbed our class pet guinea pig in the eye this week with scissors so that I had to take it to the vet and then home with me to recuperate. When I told the children why the gp wasn't at school the next morning, of course no one owned up to the stabbing but the children suggested that we "pray and pray and pray" for the gp so she would get well!!!

Meanwhile the christian teachers make fun of students behind their backs calling them "gay", even little 1st graders!!!! I watched helplessly as 2 teachers made fun of one little boy, laughing at him about wanting to brush a girl's hair. They laughed so much and so hard that the children who were near overheard and joined in making fun of him. He was practically in tears.

One day I even overheard a VERY fundamentally christian parent talking about how someone she knew had her 8 month pregnant uterus ruptured in a car accident and claimed that it must have been god's will that she never have children!!!! How horrible is this?????/

I'm really sorry that you have to put up with that shit. That poor guinea pig and that poor kid. Those people involved are total monsters if you ask me. Maybe you can do something for that kid who got ridiculed, he looks like he could really use a friend.

Oh my god Disenchanted. You definitely have it worse than I do with my religious professors...

1.) The kid who stabbed the Guinea Pig in the eye is a future serial killer...Any child who harms animals is well on their way...

2.) The faculty and staff are horrid...How are we supposed to stop bullying in schools with homophobic teachers that pick on the students?

Those kids would be better off in public school!

chefranden, you have a great idea--outchristian the christians!!! they are so stupid that they'd never catch on to what i was doing.

huntress, in hindsight i wish i had taken the little boy aside at that time and told him that it is okay to brush and fix girls' hair and that some of the very best hairdressers in the world are men. i wish i had stood up to the hatred spewed by the homophobic teachers (one of which is a preacher's wife!!). the little boy was a student in my classroom last year. he is very smart and very sensitive. i have lost sleep over worrying that the way he was treated may scar him for life. I don't know that there is anything that I can do now, after the fact.

losingmyreligion is correct - these students are better off in the local public schools which is where MY children are. there is no way i'd PAY TUITION to have my children bullied and made fun of.

As for me, I almost feel like I need to teach here to provide a balance. Everyday I am asked "religious" questions by my students: "Is it true that jesus walked on water?" "Is there really a devil? my mama says so." "There is no such thing as witch magic. Only god can do real magic, right?" "god is smart, so is god a smart-alec?"

To these questions I tell the students that people have different beliefs and that they should discuss this with their parents. (I'd love to tell them what I really think but again, I'd be run out on a rail.) I DO, however try to impress upon the students humanist views such as treating people fairly even if they are different, taking care of animals (I don't think I got my point across on that one did I?), importance of the arts and music, being the best you can be, using science to explain what happens in our world, and taking care of the Earth.

The day that we discussed taking care of the Earth and its natural resources, I made them realize that there is only one Earth and if it is destroyed there is nowhere else to live. Of course, one of my good little christian lemmings said that it would be okay if our Earth was destroyed because then we'd all get to go live in heaven with jesus!!!! Poor little brainwashed children.

Disenchanted, I think you are in the perfect position to be a positive role model to that little boy that was picked on by those evil bitches(I'm sorry but people who pick on little kids piss me off).

As an instructor you wield considerable influence, and I am certain that you could help that little boy to have a positive self image about himself...

When I was growing up I was alot like him, and I was picked on alot. But there were certain teachers who helped me to flourish inspite of the hostility surrounding me...

Believe me, if you were to befriend him and let him know that everything will be okay he will NEVER forget you.

Oprah starts talking about how she dreamed of having a backyard with a tree when she was a little girl in Mississippi. Then she said that she has several forests outside of her backyard(s)...Then she said, and I quote, "God can dream a bigger dream for you than you can."

Yep, I was watching Oprah one day and she started on her references to god. And I thought to myself....can't I even watch a dang tv show without being hit with this crap about biblegod? :Doh:

Example:one of my christian students stabbed our class pet guinea pig in the eye this week with scissors so that I had to take it to the vet and then home with me to recuperate.

AAAAIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!! *horrified*

WHY!? I realize they are really little and I don't know anything about children... but that seems so violent to me... Anyway, how is the guinea pig doing now?? :HappyCry:

WHAT!?!?!!?! *horrified again*

I can't believe that the TEACHERS are MAKING FUN of the children!! How immature and just... WRONG! (Not to mention just plain weird IMO - how does a little boy wanting to brush a little girl's hair make him gay? I thought that's sweet. They're just little! And I can't believe they are making jokes about little kids' perceived sexual orientations! Agh!! They sound CREEPY!!)

It's awful when kids are made fun of by other kids -- and if they can't even trust their teachers to help them, because they do it too... I can't imagine how that would crush them... that even the ADULTS say those horrible things too... oh god! :HappyCry:

Oh, oh... I think it sounds like these teachers have problems... that's a shame for them (and I always feel bad when I criticize people this way even though I think it's deserved)... but holy crap if they behave like that about/around the students, why, why are they even teachers...

Gah, that's sick!

I have to tolerate listening to the lord's prayer every single morning over the intercom in this non-religious private school where I teach.

Ugh!

Oh, oh man... I feel like screaming just reading what you wrote about! :twitch::twitch::twitch: Oh!! If I were you my head would just be spinning.

Wow. Granted I still feel weird and out of place and all that, and yeah, I was feeling pretty low about it last weekend when I made my first post in this thread... but now I feel rather humbled after reading this, because I'm not currently surrounded by those kinds of behaviours/attitudes. What I've had to listen to seems so mild in comparison.

I think you've done well in responding to their religious questions and in trying to educate them with those principles that are (IMO) important for all of us regardless of beliefs. And I agree with LosingMyReligion. I think you can keep "shining your light" (for lack of a better term, sorry) and being a good example and influence... in contrast to the really bad examples you described... I for one pretty much always felt 'safer' with and warmer towards my teachers than the students as a group (which just makes me even more upset that some of those teachers are so cruel), and some of them I remember especially fondly. So I think you will be so appreciated in the future for being kind...

I really don't know why a student stabbed our class pet guinea pig in the eye. It's partially my fault that we keep a container of scissors and other classroom supplies on the table next to the pet cage. I HOPE it was an accident. The children love to stick their fingers in her cage but it startles some of them when she nibbles on their fingers. (she thinks they have food for her) MAYBE a child tried to get the gp to come to him/her by sticking the scissors in the cage instead and somehow ended up accidentally poking her. However, the vet did tell me that the puncture wound was quite deep indicating that it was probably not an accident.

I also feel some blame because I didn't see it happen. Of course, I have 30 students and the aide wasn't there yet (before school actually began), so it's easy to miss something like that with all the morning activity going on.

Our vet says that it will take close to a month for her eye to heal but that she will be fine. She'll be able to see okay, though she'll have a "smudge" effect looking out of that eye due to scar tissue. Luckily the eye didn't rupture.

Why do the teachers make fun of students who in their opinion seem gay? I don't know. The teachers I work with are either baptist or methodist. those are the 2 BIG churches in our town of many churches but those 2 are where everyone who is anyone goes to church.

There are about 3 children, (2 boys and 1 girl) that are talked about all the time as acting gay. The little girl, whose mother IS gay (but so what?) is discussed often. one teacher suggested yesterday that the mother should be sent a note about how her daughter (in 1st grade) has kissed a few of her (girl)friends while playing and recess and stated that "After all, she doesn't want her daughter to grow up to be a sick lesbian like she is."

When I go back to school after a much needed week off for thanksgiving, I plan to try to befriend the little boy who was made fun of for wanting to brush his friend's hair. As I said before, he was in my class last year so it'll be easy to reconnect with him and show him how much I care about him still.

I guess I really need to stop being a chicken and stand up to this utter nonsense that the students, parents, and especially the teachers talk about every day.

It seems to me that whenever I respond to a Christian by saying "I don't believe in that shit," they either get angry at me or want to argue with me. I'm sick and tired of it. It makes me want to burn Bibles and wear the most blasphemous t-shirt that I could ever find.

Oh yeah, not to mention, their creepy and mentally unstable cyclic behaviour in which they tell me about new preachers at their churches, etc, etc. Will they ever get the damn point that I DON'T BELIEVE IN THAT CRAP?! I feel like shooting myself in the head.

When I go back to school after a much needed week off for thanksgiving, I plan to try to befriend the little boy who was made fun of for wanting to brush his friend's hair. As I said before, he was in my class last year so it'll be easy to reconnect with him and show him how much I care about him still.

I guess I really need to stop being a chicken and stand up to this utter nonsense that the students, parents, and especially the teachers talk about every day.

I really wish you luck with that.

It seems to me that whenever I respond to a Christian by saying "I don't believe in that shit," they either get angry at me or want to argue with me. I'm sick and tired of it. It makes me want to burn Bibles and wear the most blasphemous t-shirt that I could ever find.

Oh yeah, not to mention, their creepy and mentally unstable cyclic behaviour in which they tell me about new preachers at their churches, etc, etc. Will they ever get the damn point that I DON'T BELIEVE IN THAT CRAP?! I feel like shooting myself in the head.

I totally agree. Whenever I tell people I don't believe in God I always get an invitation to their church and the typical, "Well, the church you attended wasn't led by God." Everyone's church is the right church...

Religion in general gets on my nerves. It is all bull. I just wish people could see that, and perhaps we could find more in common than what church or god we serve....

I won't hold my breath.