Goodbye Jesus

Do You Still Do Any Rituals?

Kurari

I'm curious if anyone here (especially atheists) still have any rituals they do. A big one for example would be holiday traditions like christmas or stuff like that, but it can also be little things like lighting a candle when someone you know has died, or burning inscense to "purify" the air.

Even if it has no religious or practical meaning, is there anything you still do that perhaps once had religous meaning and now you do just because it's meaningful to you?

Even if it has no religious or practical meaning, is there anything you still do that perhaps once had religous meaning and now you do just because it's meaningful to you?

Aside from things like standing up for da lawd's praaaaier in church (when a relative has died or something, don't you get me wrong :lmao: ) because my folks would feel puzzled if I didn't, no.

Each and every morning I leave my warm bed and clad my natural form in unnatural attire. I then move swiftly into another room, my eyes respectfully downcast where I stand before a font and perform many sacred hand motions. Upon completion of this part of the rite, I am blessed with the power to see, my hair is arranged tastefully, and my face has been touched with the colors of my choice.

I then leave my abode and climb into my fuel injected silver chariot whence I am transported to a temple where people I recognize all gather together to perform the same ritual motions and actions over and over for eight hours. At the end of five days, the keepers of the temple reward our devotions with the means to continue existing successfully in society at large.

I do this ritual five days a week, and then I have two days of rest where I'm allowed to omit parts of the ritual, or occasionally absent myself from the ritual altogether.

I bow my head and close my eyes during prayers (I attend a Christian university).

I bow my head and close my eyes during prayers (I attend a Christian university).

Why? Are you being monitored for your prayer activity?

Why? Are you being monitored for your prayer activity?

One can easily do that even without any real belief because she knows some friends would feel puzzled if she doesn't... :shrug:

There's a "grey area" where such things are done just to be polite.

Wow I am shocked I would not last in a Christian University. I know I can barley stand messages from preachers but being with Christians ALL around you. :twitch:

I do not know how you do it honestly but I give you credit you have got guts to survive. Because I honestly can not do that. I can not go to church anymore because I just can not stand it. When I do (for certain occasions) I feel sick to my stomach about.

Does anyone still say "God Bless You" when someone sneezes?

I catch myself doing it occasionally O.o

I pray sometimes when I'm really desperate. I feel that its another form of goal setting/affirmation.

What I am doing now is I am trying to pray to different people to see whether the success rate changes.

You know....just by mentioning god, doesn't mean you advocate religion. And it's such a knee-jerk response to someone sneezing, that it would take one heck of a desperate fundie to hear you say it and shout out that it is evidence of "Da Troooth" of Christianity.

I hardly consider saying "bless you" when someone sneezes a ritual. And I still say it, I just leave out the God part of the traditional exchange. For all anyone knows when I say "Bless you." I'm thinking of my cat refraining from spitting up in their shoes ( a true blessing really).

When causes of disease were unknown, and bubonic plague and sweating sickness (this one still hasn't beem properly identified) were taking people down left and right, the person working beside you in the morning who you overhear sneeze, might be dead by noon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_you

It is little surprise this tradition has continued long after fear of plague are over. At root, think of how many pagan customs were either absorbed by the church, or survived despite religion. A talismanic phrase like "bless you" would have no trouble surviving and being passed to future generations.

Aaah, ain't we Germans all hellishly evil atheists?

After all, we don't normally say anything religion-related when someone sneezes... just the goo' ol' proverbial "Gesundheit" (health)...

...or, like many soldiers in our Federal forces do "to save time and cover all bases", "GRIPS" - the word literally means "wits", but is here thought of as an acronym for "Gesundheit, Reichtum, Intelligenz, Potenz, Schönheit" (health, wealth, intelligence, potence, beauty) - at least one of these you can always need, no? ;)

Whenever I get the chance, I rub a Buddha's belly.

Mee too. I've been trying to ge in the habit of saying "Gheshundeit!" (sorry if thats mispelled)

But everyone around here says "bless you" so I feel funny about not saying it.

I do enjoy celebrating christmas, but I see it as more cultural than religious. Besides, isn't it all stolen pagan traditions?

Every day, I have coffee or some form of caffeine before I do anything. The "magic" in the caffeine helps me to stay awake when I otherwise would not.

Several days a week, now every day since I've been doing Nanowrimo, I sit at my computer and write for a couple of hours. I find a way to reward myself when I make my word count goal.

Every once in a while, I take a hot bubble bath. This particular ritual helps me to relax. Sometimes, I light a candle and let the scent fill the air.

Every once in a while, I get out my old-fashioned paper diary and write in long-hand. I usually have a cup of coffee or something while I do so.

These rituals may not be religious in nature, but I find them strangely more comforting than any religious ritual I've ever done, especially the writing.

I know a guy that every time I see him he asks for money. I have known him for about 20 years. I am doing much better (financially) now than then. Anyway like I said he has been asking me for money every time I see him for the past 6 years. Well that has been about the same amount of time I have had more money. For some reason I use to consider it good luck to give him money but today I said I do not have any money (a lie).

.I am going to hell a poor man :wicked:

Mee too. I've been trying to ge in the habit of saying "Gheshundeit!" (sorry if thats mispelled)

Close. Correct spelling is "Gesundheit" ;)

Each and every morning I leave my warm bed and clad my natural form in unnatural attire. I then move swiftly into another room, my eyes respectfully downcast where I stand before a font and perform many sacred hand motions. Upon completion of this part of the rite, I am blessed with the power to see, my hair is arranged tastefully, and my face has been touched with the colors of my choice.

I then leave my abode and climb into my fuel injected silver chariot whence I am transported to a temple where people I recognize all gather together to perform the same ritual motions and actions over and over for eight hours. At the end of five days, the keepers of the temple reward our devotions with the means to continue existing successfully in society at large.

I do this ritual five days a week, and then I have two days of rest where I'm allowed to omit parts of the ritual, or occasionally absent myself from the ritual altogether.

Love it! :lmao:

New here. And saw this thread.

Well, I still celebrate some holidays. Cultural, maybe and because I'm used to it and life would seem strange without it:

New Year's Day - start of a new calender year

Valentine's Day - Just a day to let your friends know you appreciate them. Nothing to do with romance, really.

St. Patrick's Day - More like Spring, which starts March 1st for me. I go by the popular American calendar for my "holidays".

Easter - A spring feast, celebrate end of winter.

Gardening Month - May I kind of plan my garden then plant it the end of the month. It's also the start of Summer for me on May 1st.

June I really don't know of any holidays.

July - 4th of July, I guess.

August - there really isn't any holidays.

Autumn - I think of autumn as starting September 1st, despite the calender. Back to school and/or end of summer.

Halloween - just a fun thing to kinda celebrate. Putting faces on pumpkins, celebrating Autumn still.

Thanksgiving - More of an Autumn Feast day. An excuse to celebrate in the dreary month of November. I feel bad for the Native Americans and what happend to them though so I do think of them kindly.

Christmas - nothing really Chrstian, just a winter Celebration, starts December 1st for me.

New Year's Eve I celebrate as well.

Other rituals... I guess I really don't have any. I guess it would be nice to have a weekly thing - something relaxing and different from what I do every day. But I haven't really thought of anything.

If I see a dead animal along the road, I light incense for its memory and speak to its soul, telling it that I am glad it is out of pain.

Whenever I clean my altar I always kiss the urn that has the ashes of my dog Chelsea in it.

I meditate. Sometimes with hand cymbals, sometimes without.

Coffee......Yummmm

Without trying to sound tooo obsessive....I always pull the toilet paper rather than tear it. I Scrunch the paper rather than fold it.

I aways take off more than 4 sheets but never more than will hit the floor when I pull it. Yuk I don't like to wipe with paper that's been on the floor.

Silly me.

I aways spray even if it doesn't stink.

I say Gesundheit, but then I've said that since I was a kid. Learned that it means health when I took German in high school.