Goodbye Jesus

No, I'm Not Lonely And I'm Not Converting!

The Sage Nabooru

It seems once I've dropped off the Christianity wagon I've had a few people consider me prime fodder for conversions to their way of thinking. By far the most (and the rudest) come from young atheists, but I've had my announcement of leaving Christianity met with glee and an invitation to worship from pagans, at least one Muslim, different denominations of Christianity (Mormons and Presbyterians), Satanists, etc.

It's the same tactic every missionary uses: Find the unaffiliated and give them an opportunity to belong. The fact that I'm pissed off and bitter about my past and confused about my future only makes me a easier win in their eyes.

Does anyone else have this problem?

You ran into an evangelical Pagan?!? Eeeek, cut and run!

Very rarely. Not surprising considering where I live. Mostly that happens in situations I provoked myself (you know, dropping in at a cultist meeting :fdevil:).

Cripes! I've never met an evangelical pagan! I can't even begin to imagine a pagan proselytizing.

However, the thought of pagan proselytizing DOES strike me as very, very funny, I must admit.... :lmao:

Guest Durthorin

It seems once I've dropped off the Christianity wagon I've had a few people consider me prime fodder for conversions to their way of thinking. By far the most (and the rudest) come from young atheists, but I've had my announcement of leaving Christianity met with glee and an invitation to worship from pagans, at least one Muslim, different denominations of Christianity (Mormons and Presbyterians), Satanists, etc.

It's the same tactic every missionary uses: Find the unaffiliated and give them an opportunity to belong. The fact that I'm pissed off and bitter about my past and confused about my future only makes me a easier win in their eyes.

I don't know the Pagan involved so I can only speak for myself having invited those that have left Christianity to attend a gathering. Its not meant to convert you. Frankly, in most cases if you want to follow a Pagan path you have to ask us. but we do as a group since most of us are ex-Christians understand that leaving your religion is sort of tramatic and causes a great deal of anger/soul searching and a social outcast status for a lot of people. As such, come on over.. work it out.. enjoy the food and if you don't want to talk about religion don't. If you need to vent, we'll listen and tell you about what happened when we left.

Funny enough, I have actually met Wiccan/Atheists. There belief is that God/Gods are not real.. they are in effect jungian archtypes we use in a pysological sense to set pattterns for ourself as to what we want to achive. Ritual then becomes a pyschodrama to help program yourself for certain behaviors. Other Wiccans seem to care less as long as they bring something for the potluck.

Brighid Bless, Dur

I haven't had this problem, but I think that's mostly because I'm pretty private about my personal beliefs. I don't volunteer information, and I don't respond to goading. That and I don't really know many atheists, pagans, Muslims, Mormons, or Satanists. I'm sorry to hear that you are being harrassed in this way, though.

Proselytizers do tend to prey on people with the promise of belonging, don't they? I hate that more than anything; maybe that's because I actually really do want to belong somewhere. There's an irritating Christian minister that's been dangling that particular carrot in front of me for a while now (so many jokes could be made...). I've resorted to stonewalling him. Maybe that would help in your situation too. Or you could try to avoid them. Or you could verbally tear them a new one, if you're of that disposition. There are many possibilities... ;)

I've never had this problem because EVERYONE presumes I am a Christian from jump.

I only have problems when I'm walking through campus and people start offering me Jesus bumper stickers and their shitty Jesus rap music(yes, there are rappers that rap about Jesus...Not Kanye West either)...

Then I tell them, "I don't believe in that." Which results in jaw dropping gasps...

I've only had problems online. Haven't had as many problems IRL, except for my former fundy cubemate, but then I tend to keep to myself anyway.

I've had a few people consider me prime fodder for conversions to their way of thinking. By far the most (and the rudest) come from young atheists

Well...they couldn't have been "real" atheists.

Jeeezusfucking christ! I've never felt more active and energetic since discovering the reality of godlessness! I keep my personal beliefs to myself except for here where I have been enlightened!