Goodbye Jesus

It's 10am Sunday Morning.

mick

just kidding, what's up?

My kids are at a liberal xtian church with my wife.

Liberal xtians believe in good things and don't know squat about the bible and yet pay tribute to morality being found in it.

BUT... they are not fundamentalists and other wack jobs so it is a compromise I can live with.

You know... compromise is an important function in life yet it has been maligned as immorality by dogmatic religion.

I wonder how we can present compromise as the more moral choice?

Mongo

Well..its Sunday night now. My children were not in church this morning..lets see, one son is in jail, another is in Dallas at the NASCAR race..daughter, well, I'm not gonna say where she was, but she didn't come home last night.

I, on the otherhand, was up bright and early. Well..early anyway, bright came later. Spent my "church" time, right here, online..

So..what's up with you? Did you ever read that link I gave you? :)

But Is our children lernin?

Dawkins makes the case that one of the reasons why religion has been able to flourish is the profound trusting characteristic of children. That characteristic shouldn't be taken for granted. Natural Selection would reward the child that unquestionably trusts it's parents (don't eat this poisonous berry, stay away from alligator infested water etc). So this tendency of trusting in children has probably been nurtured by natural selection and as it developed, it also has been the unwitting vehicle abused by religious meems. Most people believe religion becuase it's a hand me down.

Unfortunately, even for those of us not brought up in church, we're inadequately innoculated against Christianity, - further, the nominal christian stuff (Christmas carols, school presentations with the hallelujah chorus, etc) give religion that sense of familiarity that 18-22 young people hungering for answers are drawn to.

Maybe we aren't going to remove superficial Christianity from our culture, but we should probably make known the rediculous stuff about the faith so that young people won't be so gullibly lured in. For the children of Christian parents though, it's much tougher . . .