Goodbye Jesus

Should I Just Keep My Thoughts To Myself?

willybilly30

Me and my mom went walking like we do everyday but this time my 9 year old neice was with us.

My minds still on the topic about dolphins evolving this facinating topics here:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?show...c=12795&hl=

I said mom you know dolphins are not fish they are mammals they breath oxygen threw their blowholes.

She said Yea I knew that.

I said scientists are studying dolphin fossils and say dolphins used to walk on land they look like dog like creatures.

Mom said thats stupid

my neice Kaylee says thats a bunch of crap

I said they not teach you evolution in school about fossils and stuff

She said no.

Mom said scientists just want to prove there is no god that created enything they just want too try so hard to prove the bible wrong so its not taught in school cause science is false.

I said you believe adam came from dirt and eve came from a rib.....and theres a talking snakes.

Kaylee walks ahead of us a little.

Mom whispers something and stares at me (I take this as meaning shut up)

Kaylee says I'm a christian

I said what ever....don't let any pink unicorns fly in your hair

She said I hate unicorns

I said scientist study nature and fossils and research this stuff and you want to make it out too be devil worship.

she said no i don't but its false and not in the bible.

I said fine i guess god is powerful enough to create the world he can make eve from a rib adam from dirt and a snake talk. I look at her (I don't know if my face showed it but I was being sarcatic)

She said i don't want to talk about this.

I walked off I said i'm gonna go think about the demonic dolphin theory by myself.

I hate this shit I feel like i'm the ongly one in town that studys science and no longer believes in ancient fairytales i'm moving some day damn.

.....I hate this shit I feel like i'm the ongly one in town that studys science and no longer believes in ancient fairytales i'm moving some day damn.
Don't keep silent. Don't let religious ignorance keep you quiet. You may be the only hope for your niece.

Wow, Willy..does she go to private school or something?

No, don't keep your thoughts to yourself. From what you described, it sounded very thoughtful and not at all disrespectful.

Keep up the good work, Willy!

I don't get it why don't her school don't teach evolution or science? Surely they do maybe they teach it later.

That really annoys me they should teach that stuff but here in bible belt alabama i'm not suprised.

I'm curious as to what your neice's parents' position on this would be, although sadly, I think I can guess from the OP. I understand that the xtian politics of your family can make this a difficult and maybe delicate thing, but I'm glad that you can be there as a voice of reason for your neice.

My sister is christian so I guess she'd be against it her exhusband my neices dad is christian too.

I criticised genesis maybe my mom was afraid she'd agree and tell my sister (her mom)the genesis story is false and it'd make her mad. I wish I could find people around here like on this forum it'd be nice to talk to someone who isn't gonna spout off the bible at everything I say.

Should you keep silent?

Hell no!

Especially since you are taking a respectful approach to the whole matter and not trying to be an asshole, you don't need to shut up about it. You live in a free country and have every right to speak your mind.

Their opinions are their own problem, not yours.

Whatever you do, don't keep quiet.

A major reason I got away from the catholic camp was because topics such as evolution were brought up, even when most people around me blasted them for being "antigod".

Reminds me of the time one of my teachers in the 5th grade brought up evolution and the big bang theory. Immediately there were a bunch of 5th graders countering that biblegod had created everything. But I listened. And understood.

Go on about evolution, it's all good!

Yea I should talk about it maybe i'll find some people who agree and can have a good discussion. Surely i'm not the ongly one.

Mom whispers something and stares at me (I take this as meaning shut up)

I say speak your mind. You may not be popular with the older crowd but your conviction will leave an impression on all those around you.

No, don't keep it to yourself! Keep talking. People gotta speak up and speak out against this crap.

You are having a conversation about current events. I see nothing wrong with that.

You may want to tell her that there are Christians who have realized that evolution is how life began. They still go to church, believe in the Bible, etc. That describes, in fact, the majority of Christians I have met. I've only met one or two who were literal Creationist fundies.

At least it would make them think.

Maybe I could find a website on evolution from a christian point of view to send her. it might help her be more open about it.

Don't keep silent. Don't let religious ignorance keep you quiet. You may be the only hope for your niece.

WB, it sounds to me that your mom is beyond hope (at least for now... unless some significant things change on her part) anyway. I know it may well sound harsh, but I'd agree to Dave & Co. What mattes here is to save your niece from the madness if you can. :Hmm:

You may want to tell her that there are Christians who have realized that evolution is how life began. They still go to church, believe in the Bible, etc. That describes, in fact, the majority of Christians I have met. I've only met one or two who were literal Creationist fundies.

It's quite a reach to accept the literal biblical account of how life began--even if you're a christian you have to go through some MAJOR (as in even MORE major than usual) contortions to resolve some of the non sequiturs you create. Maybe that's why literal creationist fundies are a minority.

Willybilly,

I always place self-preservation above speaking out.

You however sound like your mom, however wrong, is fairly respectful.

I encourage you to push your views to the limit of what you can take and stop pushing when ever you feel uncomfortable.

There are other ways you can approach your niece. The goal is to make her appreciate thinking for herself.

Just telling to her that you value thinking for yourself more than anything else is a good thought to plant in her head.

Can you learn a few basic magic tricks? Let her mull over the trick until her next visit and then show her. Maybe tease her a bit and ask if she believes in magic. Letting her faulty thinking pattern bring her to the conclusion that you used “magic” (a la devil) to accomplish the trick and then later on showing her how you deceived her will plant the idea that people deceive and that many things we fear are merely tricks.

Bring up the topic of lying and deception and crime. My Dad was a prison guard and he would talk about the different scams convicts used. For example, describe a Ponzi Scam is and discuss how these slick con artists can fool many people including friends and family. Discuss how you know who to trust. You don’t need to bring up Hovind, Swaggart, Bakker etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

Now… regarding your mom… I suggest you ask her why she feels bible truth must be learned in a vacuum. Ask her, when bible truth is set next to scientific truth, why can’t the bible stand on its own? Ask her why bible truth thrives in an ignorant vessel and not in an educated one (can be substantiated statistically).

I’m curious to know why your mom isn’t all over you like a wet blanket badgering you to get saved. Is she a liberal xtian?

Good luck.

Mongo

Willybilly,

I sound like my mom? how? why am I wrong?

Now… regarding your mom… I suggest you ask her why she feels bible truth must be learned in a vacuum. Ask her, when bible truth is set next to scientific truth, why can’t the bible stand on its own? Ask her why bible truth thrives in an ignorant vessel and not in an educated one (can be substantiated statistically).

I’m curious to know why your mom isn’t all over you like a wet blanket badgering you to get saved. Is she a liberal xtian?

Good luck.

She used to try to get me saved still tries every once in awhile.

I hate this shit I feel like i'm the ongly one in town that studys science and no longer believes in ancient fairytales i'm moving some day damn.

You got the right idea Billy. MOVE. That place is not going to change. I got out and I am so much happier for it. I suggest at the very least move to someplace like Atlanta, but preferably far away from the south. You're always going to be the minority if you're a non-Christian in the south.

Willybilly,

I sound like my mom? how? why am I wrong?

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Your mom sounds respectful even if she is wrong about religion.

You sound fairly respectful too although you really gave it full guns to Inspecto General.

A lot of fundy parents go ape shit manipulative when they see their flesh and blood about to be burned in the big lake. It takes some character to not do that.

You are not wrong!

Mongo