Goodbye Jesus

Feeling Kind Of Victimized

mick

I shared a whole bunch of OT atrocities with a Christian friend from college. He was basically shocked. Side note... Do ALL Christians not know what is in the Bible...

Anyway. Last night he calls me and basically rejected the OT. He was so pissed. Called the God of OT a murderer. Last he then goes to meet with some leader in his church. He was supossedly going to make him try to defend it.

Anyway. this morning I get an email from him saying that he can't talk about spiritual things anymore with me. WTF

Guest Durthorin

I shared a whole bunch of OT atrocities with a Christian friend from college. He was basically shocked. Side note... Do ALL Christians not know what is in the Bible...

Anyway. Last night he calls me and basically rejected the OT. He was so pissed. Called the God of OT a murderer. Last he then goes to meet with some leader in his church. He was supossedly going to make him try to defend it.

Anyway. this morning I get an email from him saying that he can't talk about spiritual things anymore with me. WTF

Sounds like his Pastor convinced him that you were an agent of Satan trying to undermine his faith. Convinced him that all was alright.. just don't talk to you because you make him question those explainations.. An your suprised by this?

Be Well, Dur

Yeah I bet the pastor or spiritual leader your mate was speaking to mentioned something about the devil trying to deceive him or lead him astray :lmao:

But sure I can understand you being pissed off. You must have been thinking you were on to a winner there. Hopefully you may have sown some seed and your friend will maybe think about things again later. Who knows.

Bloody church leaders :(

Don't get too discouraged. You shocked his system, of course he's going to look for comfort and reassurance.

The seed is there, just let him find his own way out.

This encounter with your friend reminds me of what happened to my friend last week in Denver when she ran into a fundy at lunch. The lady was going on and on about how good god was to her and helping her through her bible college and about god's plan for her. Well, my friend does not have a christian background so I have been telling her what it is all about (crap) over the last year and a half and having her watch those great videos from godisimaginary.com. So my friend started asking fundy lady some pointed questions about the bible and god. She also asked if she had read "The Purpose Driven Life". Fundy Lady replied she had. Well, that was the bait. Now comes the hook! My friend says to her, "Well, if you remember correctly the book says that god has a plan for everyone and everything and that god's plan is perfect, is that right?" Fundy Lady replies, "Of course!" The hook is set! My friend then states, "So, all the murders and abortions that happen are just a part of god's plan and there is nothing we can do about it since it is pre-planned and murderers and abortion doctors are just doing god's work, right?" The fish is in the boat! My friend relates that Fundy Lady gave her the most dumbfounded look of all time. She finally sputters out that she hasn't gotten that far in bible college and that she will have to get with her pastor so she can properly answer those questions. She actually asked for my friend's email so she could get back to her with the appropriate answers! :lmao: When my friend related this encounter to me all I could do was give her a high five and tell her how awesome she was!

That pastor is afraid of you.

Keep up the good work. :woohoo:

....Anyway. this morning I get an email from him saying that he can't talk about spiritual things anymore with me. WTF

You rocked his world, mick. Good for you. Anytime they have to go to some Authority Figure means they've been muddled. Whoo-hoo! Hopefully he'll think about the "explanation" from his Authority Figure and see through the double-talk.

I don't know, Mick, maybe I'm wrong about this man. It just seems he is awfully easy to persuade. All he had to do to make him question his faith was hear your questions. All he has to do to re-establish his faith is talk with another person. Might it just be that he is not terribly concerned about spiritual things?

I know how good it feels to convince a person that I have valid ideas. However, a person who changes position so easily might not be a true thinker whose opinion really counts. So what if I can persuade a two-year-old? Of course, that is exagerating but you get the idea.

The fact that he responded so negatively calling God a murderer, then after visiting the pastor he has chosen not to talk with you, means only that he needs the space to sort this out alone. He was far too easily ready to chuck his faith out the window, until he thought about everything that would go with it. He's buying time for himself by putting up a wall in front of you on this. He heard it loud and clear. He'll jump soon enough. Give him the space he needs.

You can also show him this site. :wicked:

I don't know, Mick, maybe I'm wrong about this man. It just seems he is awfully easy to persuade.

Right on the money Ruby. My exact reaction this morning when I read it.

I think I stopped replying because who this guy was confused me. I'm still wondering what's up with him.

Nonetheless, give him some time for his pastor to stop asking if he's been chumming with Satan (that would be you), ha ha, and then get in touch with him again and go a bit softer on him next time so he doesn't run off to his dip-shit pastor again.

Maybe you should bring up the topic of thinking for himself.

Mongo

What you did is great - you heightened his awareness and made him think about what he believes. I agree with the general sentiments of other posters here. It is suprising that he was so easily swayed back and forth. On the other hand, surface opinions can shift more rapidly than deep convictions. Hopefully what you shared with him will help to stir the stuff down deep. Contrary to religious teachings, the mind isn't simple and beliefs and opinions are not always as straightforward. Does he really believe? Is he just afraid to admit to himself he doesn't? Does he have an easy faith or is he forcing himself to believe out of fear? Is he reluctantly continuing to embrace Christ or does he really think it's the way to go despite the stuff you showed him? Can't say for sure, but one thing seems obvious - even he can't overlook the fact that he had to go running for backup from some security figure, and he was advised to stay away from you. Deep down he must realize that's the posture of weakness. Real truth can be scrutinized. It need not gaurd itself against arguments.

Hang in there.

Don't it just remind you of Star Trek, where Kirk makes the smoke come out of the robot's ears?

Congratulations, you are officially an agent of Satan. Ain't it grand? :)

thanks for all replies. i'm using my PDA to type this response so please forgive poor typing, grammer, etc.

I did send my friend an email asking him to think for himself. And that the need to avoid questioning makes what you're believing even more suspect. I also told him that the night and day difference in him over one night was alarming. I told him it was like my friend from "last night" got abducted by aliens or something.