Goodbye Jesus

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

ricky18

Anyone suffering from this? My obsessions are driving me crazy! What kinda obsessions do you have?

I get obsessed when I hear other people complaining about their obsessions... :Hmm:

Thanks alot, dude. :vent:

Yes...was on drugs for awhile...now I just live with it and do my best to control the unwanted, horrible, negative "plays" I create in my head and I try to only count my money twice before I spend it and I no longer care too much if things aren't spaced exactly the same distance apart or that pictures are a little crooked and then try not to allow that pressing, burning feeling overwhelm me to fix it all.

The drugs screwed me up, so I chose to take little steps to control it myself. Let the picture hang crooked for a day or two and then fix it and put your vegetable cans up with the labels facing backwards..............upside down! :)

So the drugs dont really help? I dont have so much problems with compulsions just battling with my thoughts! why is it that all thoughts are negative?

So the drugs dont really help? I dont have so much problems with compulsions just battling with my thoughts! why is it that all thoughts are negative?

The drugs probably would have helped if he wasn't giving me drugs for other things. I think the combination of drugs wasn't right, or perhaps I got better and they were then too strong. I don't know. I don't remember having too many thoughts at all during that time.

I think (I'm just guessing, so I could be wrong) the reason why they are negative is because our minds are creating a scenario that is bad in order for us to be able to 'fix' it. I think we are always looking for things that we can fix or cure, so our mind gives us something to think about.

I still have those thoughts once in a while and then I ask myself, why the hell am I thinking about something that horrible?? I tell myself, it's not going to happen so I don't need to create a situation that doesn't exist in order to just worry about. I push the thought aside and don't give it anymore attention. Don't come back to it and analyze what you would do if what you are thinking about actually happened. It will only make it worse and prolong the images.

I wish I could help more, but that is what I do now when those thoughts come back. Jump out of your mind and try to look around at what is going on around you. Look at some trees or just anything. The thought will pass.

Anyone suffering from this? My obsessions are driving me crazy! What kinda obsessions do you have?

I'm hesitant to talk about my problems in this public forum but you can Email me via the board or PM me if you want.

Ricky,

I forgot to mention the most important thing...don't blame yourself for having these thoughts. Those images are not something you really want to happen. I think it's just our mind's way of giving us something to solve. The images don't reflect on the kind of person you are. I used to blame myself for thinking such horrible things about the people I loved the most. I thought I was a terrible person! So, don't do that. That will just lead you into depression. Remember, they are only thoughts that just pop into your head unwelcome and they aren't there because you want those things that you are thinking about to happen. Please remember that.

I never used to talk about these types of things when I was younger but now I don't really care too much.

Anyhow, my OCD's have changed over time but they include the usual types of things I guess (counting things, putting things in certain orders or places...whatever). Combined with Tourette's with it's tics and whatnot and life is a general nuisance at times.

Religion led me to believe that perhaps it was the work of the supernatural and now that I know it's not things are actually much better symptom wise. The less I worry about it and the more I work out life in general the better I get. I don't plan on being "cured" but I care less and less about it as time wears on. When I was younger all I wanted was to be rid of all this but now, if it happens it happens but I also wonder if it does what happens to me? It's a part of me now much more than when I was young so where does one end and the other begin? Perhaps it's too late to separate the two without killing us both? So, I plan on simply living as peacefully as possible with it (some days are easier than others as I'm sure you're aware).

As for the drugs. I've tried some. With all the problems we were trying to address it was just a mess though. This was quite a few years ago and I've been told that they've got some better things now. If you do decide to go that route be sure to get a good doctor. One that listens to you and lets you adjust your meds as needed. I didn't have this and being young and inexperienced I had a rough time. Also keep in mind that you're seeking a balance between your problems and your side-effects. You are not going to be "cured." The drugs (for me at least) are really painful to go on and off and I have to be very careful during this phase. I also take a little longer than what the doctors say to adjust to changes in the meds before they take effect. All these things have to be taken into account if you've never done any meds before because people go looking for a "miracle" and trust me, unless you're that one in a million, you won't find it and will be very disappointed. Also, with the wrong doctor, you could be on the drug train a very long time as they switch you from one pill to the next. Tell the doctor you won't do this and make sure they understand unless you like being a lab rat (I was one for nearly 10 years). One last thing about the drugs. If you try a few and it turns out the first one was the best don't be afraid to tell the doctor you're going back to it (if you're determined to stay on a drug...and if they work for you then there's no real reason not to).

Anyhow, I hope that helps a little bit. I know it got a little long at the end but I've been on more drugs than I can remember trying to control my Tourette's/OCD and in the end I just gave up (blood pressure medicine did the best for me but had other issues). As I said, I've just learned to just live with them and by doing so many of them have lost their hold over me. Maybe I just got lucky?

mwc

Fweethawt wrote:

I get obsessed when I hear other people complaining about their obsessions...

Thanks alot, dude.

--------------

Sorry, but that is an unnecessary post. The guy has a genuine problem. I think would be better if you kept thoughts like that to yourself, even though it may have been a joke, I'm not sure.

--------------

Ricky18 wrote:

--------------

I think I had it more when I was a kid. I remember when I had to check that the light was switched off several times and stuff like that. Also I was obsessed with football and football statistics (for you americans out there, I mean soccer).... But I'm okay now as far as I tell.

I hope you find a way to at least lessen your problems. It's no laughing matter. Take care of yourself.

A mental gymnastic that usually works for me.

I'm like a surfer in an ocean and my thoughts are the waves. I find (after much practice) I can usually pick the waves I want to ride. If I get on a bad wave I just get off it -- when I recognize I'm on it. At first I found it difficult to get off the wave -- pain was the best method. If you have enough pain, you'll get off the wave. Try to be safe about the pain. Wear a strong rubber band around your wrist and snap that sucker when needed. When you need the pain to last longer put a drop of tobasco on your finger and rub your eye, or your privates -- that'll get your mind off things and onto the present.

A mental gymnastic that usually works for me.

I'm like a surfer in an ocean and my thoughts are the waves. I find (after much practice) I can usually pick the waves I want to ride. If I get on a bad wave I just get off it -- when I recognize I'm on it. At first I found it difficult to get off the wave -- pain was the best method. If you have enough pain, you'll get off the wave. Try to be safe about the pain. Wear a strong rubber band around your wrist and snap that sucker when needed. When you need the pain to last longer put a drop of tobasco on your finger and rub your eye, or your privates -- that'll get your mind off things and onto the present.

I agree with Chef here...well mostly. There is now way I would put tobasco on my privates, but it would sure work! I do sometimes pinch the back of my hand though. Like Chef said, you have to first recognize you're on it. It's real easy to get lost in the thoughts for a while before you realize what's going on.

Dang Chef...OUCH! :o:)

I think I may have it maybe a mild case. I don't know but for me , everything has to be perfect condtion everything. I can notice scratches marks nicks in anything. I am serious, it is bothersome at times. Like riding just down the street I look at cars for nixs and flaws in it.

DAMN OCD!!!!!!!!

( I wonder if I can find a career where that is use full somewhere.)

Those who know me on this board know that I, too, am a victim of this mental affliction known as OCD. To date, I have suffered the following symptoms throughout the years:

-Contamination fears: I couldn't eat anything that my fingers touched; I couldn't touch door knobs or (God forbid) take out the garbage. This developed into a handwashing cessation in which my hands became raw and chapped.

-Fear of death in my sleep. I used to lie awake at night hoping that I would wake up the next morning.

-Intrusive thoughts: Around the time Columbine happened, I started getting unwanted thoughts and images in my head about it. I had been told to pray for forgiveness for "sins" like these, so it developed into a ritual...a thought would come, I would pray for forgiveness. I started to ultra-ritualize the prayers and thoughts would come during my rituals, so I would have to stop and obsess over those before going back to the thoughts I had been orginally obsessing over. This went on for years, getting progressively worse, until I found a website about it that gave me techniques on how to combat the bad thoughts (basically, just letting them be there.)

Now, because of unfortunate circumstances in my life for the past 2 years, I again suffer bad thoughts. A lot of them aren't intrusive; they are things that I think up. It's a like a habit that I try to break but I can't. However, many are intrusive and come from nowhere. I also obsess a lot over the past, and analyze and analyze until I have a headache. It's a mental loop that I can't get out of! I suffer a lot of guilt over the things that come into my head, but I'm starting to realize that it's a mental problem and not really something to beat myself up over.

( I wonder if I can find a career where that is use full somewhere.)

I know a lot of software developers with at least OC tendencies, and it seems like it can actually be a beneficial trait for that, at least if it's mild.

And speaking for myself, I have mild OC tendencies--not nearly to the point of OCD, but more along the lines of maybe a quarter to a third of the population. Until I started reading this board I never connected anything like this to the ex-c experience, but now I'm starting to wonder...

I have OCD/social anxiety disorder. My obsessions concern "breaking the divine law," and "divine vengeance." I also have an obsession with women's breasts -- they make me timid although I like them. I'm afraid of embarrassing myself if I am noticed looking at them.

Deconversion from Christianity has helped a great deal toward eliminating my OCD. Also, I am on 40 mg of Lexipro, which also helps. Now, I am a Platonist, which has helped me gain a perspective on life whereby my fears are put into the proper place.

Thanks a lot guys! the stuff that you guys wrote is really a comfort in that its not my fault! The guilt feelings were also getting to me. I am gona get professional help soon! But thamks again guys.

I'm hesitant to talk about my problems in this public forum but you can Email me via the board or PM me if you want.

Compulsive masturbation? :wicked:

I've had OCD since grade school. My main compulsions are hand washing, door checking, light checking. I can't leave my dorm or car without checking the door 2 or 3 times, and I have a bottle of hand sanitizer I keep on my desk whenever I get that "dirty" feeling. My obsessions are usually related to my compulsions. I fear my dorm being broken into and everything stolen, mar car broken into. I also have this fear of my dorm bursting into flames from an electrical fire. :eek:

I've tried Lexapro and Luvox and neither works very well for me, so I just deal with it. I usually just say "Fuck it" to myself out loud and grit my teeth.

I also have a tic disorder. It's like Tourette's Syndrome, but not as severe. I hide it from everyone in my dorm. I've slipped a time or two and said "Wanker!" (it's one of my tics) in front of a few people and they gave me a weird look. It was embarassing. :(

Compulsive masturbation? :wicked:

I've had OCD since grade school. My main compulsions are hand washing, door checking, light checking. I can't leave my dorm or car without checking the door 2 or 3 times, and I have a bottle of hand sanitizer I keep on my desk whenever I get that "dirty" feeling. My obsessions are usually related to my compulsions. I fear my dorm being broken into and everything stolen, mar car broken into. I also have this fear of my dorm bursting into flames from an electrical fire. :eek:

I've tried Lexapro and Luvox and neither works very well for me, so I just deal with it. I usually just say "Fuck it" to myself out loud and grit my teeth.

I also have a tic disorder. It's like Tourette's Syndrome, but not as severe. I hide it from everyone in my dorm. I've slipped a time or two and said "Wanker!" (it's one of my tics) in front of a few people and they gave me a weird look. It was embarassing. :(

When you say "wanker," is it because it is a relief of anxiety to say out loud something that you are trying not to say? I mean, do you obsess with anxiety about avoiding saying it, and then feel some sort of relief once you've said it? Is it a kind of fear of embarrassment thing, or is it just something you blurt out unprovoked by fear of social judgment? I've always wondered about that.

In college, I thought that I had Tourettes because I would have this fear come over me that I would say something inappropriate. But I see now that it was a function of social anxiety rather than a neurological disorder. After I learned how to curse without embarrassment, the feeling went away. Perhaps you should practice screaming out "WANKER!" and see if the negative consequences that you fear occur. I imagine that it might be very cathartic for you just to do the thing you feared in order to get over the fear.

When you say "wanker," is it because it is a relief of anxiety to say out loud something that you are trying not to say? I mean, do you obsess with anxiety about avoiding saying it, and then feel some sort of relief once you've said it? Is it a kind of fear of embarrassment thing, or is it just something you blurt out unprovoked by fear of social judgment? I've always wondered about that.

In college, I thought that I had Tourettes because I would have this fear come over me that I would say something inappropriate. But I see now that it was a function of social anxiety rather than a neurological disorder. After I learned how to curse without embarrassment, the feeling went away. Perhaps you should practice screaming out "WANKER!" and see if the negative consequences that you fear occur. I imagine that it might be very cathartic for you just to do the thing you feared in order to get over the fear.

Haha. Nah, it's not psychological like that. I really do have a neurological disorder. I have alot of facial twitches and make strange sounds (like whistling and beat-boxing), and sometimes I just laugh maniacally, like an evil villain. :lmao:

Haha. Nah, it's not psychological like that. I really do have a neurological disorder. I have alot of facial twitches and make strange sounds (like whistling and beat-boxing), and sometimes I just laugh maniacally, like an evil villain. :lmao:

Oh man, I went through this 25 odd years ago (totally forgot about it until I read this...now I'll just obsess about it ;) ). Was I happy when that one went away. What is it about that laugh that's so addictive? Fortunately, I guess I've simply outgrown the more vocal of my problems (although I tend to repeat words, or sounds, over and over but "strange" noises are rare these days I think or maybe I just don't care enough to notice anymore? :shrug: ).

mwc

• 1 month later...

I've recently been afflicted with ocd. I think it kind of started in college living in the dorms a few years ago, but it wasn't that bad. But over the last few months due to a family member getting sick, it's been driving me crazy. It's making me so depressed and it takes me three times as long to do anything due to handwashing and repeatedly having to wash clothes and other stuff. I feel like I'm trapped in my house because and get stressed out when leaving my room due to a fear of getting contaminated. I really need to get help with this soon. It's affecting my school work too since I'm too busy concentrating on ocd stuff to concentrate on work. It also keeps me up really late at night trying to clean stuff and I've been getting constantly late when going places. I was already dealing with depression and it was getting better until this. Now I just want to pull my hair out and sedate myself or something. I wouldn't do that though, it's just how I feel.