Goodbye Jesus

Year 2 As An Atheist

Ramen666

Well I have been an atheist for two years now. I am a freshman in college now and things have changed. It has been amazing time. I have been through ups and downs. I have been angry at Christianity (still am). I have seen something that Christians do not bother to look into. That is what makes me different than them, because I look at all sides of the story.

I can say I am more giving person since I left Christianity ( I don't know how that is) But after Hurricane Katrina I donated a lot of stuff to them. Because they were actually in need not like old Church begged for money. I will not support a church when they already have funds. ( Yes I know were some of their donations were coming from)

I have not gone to church in two years and it has been great having a free Sunday off. I believe there is a need for stem cell research. I do not give a damn what the fundies say we need to make advancements.

Yes Atheism is the minority in the world. I wish their could be a spread. When Christians are around it reminds me of mindless sheep (Bible refernece) and we are the only ones that know this stuff. I know of the past of the church,crusades even the shit in the Bible which so happenly gets cut out of the Chuch services.

I have told my friend (how is a Christian) about the horrible verses. He says that they are out of context and whanot. He says these people deserved it and tried to defend it like any Christian who does not believe it. He said the Quaran teaches hate and I said " And the Bible doesn't?" He gave me the oddest look I have ever seen.

Christmas last year was awkward for me. I was happy I still love Christmas vary much. ( Just exclude the religous aspect) I like the smells and the family and the lights I could care less what it is suppose to be based of. I love egg-nog :grin: ( I will start a thread on this topic closer to Christmas)

The thing is I learned most of my friends are atheist when I became a doconvert and that was really neat thing. Yes some of my friends still will not accept that Christianity is hypocrtical. Because always when my friend mentions church I sarcastically say- " So what group of people are going to hell today and what scam is the Church doing to day to get our money."

I do not care what Christians nuts think? OK yes I do because for some reason it makes my blood boil at these type of people. This is not medievil times anymore we have advanced in times just look outside in your city. Look at automobiles. Look at televison. Not even Jesus got his own show on TV.

The Bible is an isolated story which was meant for the people in the middle east but not the USA. The Bible people think was in English orginally because they are idiots. They do not understand it is a damn translation.

Well this is my story and thoughts and rants for today. My analysis of two years it has been a real good two years especially this year :wicked: I have never been more happier in my life.

Good to hear, Ramen :)

And none to worry about Atheism - it'll get stronger as Xianity gets weaker. I'm sure of it :)

I feel atheism is getting stronger in the United States. I think we are becoming more liberal and the tide is changing. It may be years but the Christian Church seems to be getting rockier and more people are begining to notice. You would be surprised on non religous boards on the internet are atheists. It is surprising and neat the scandals from stealing, from pastors molesting kids.

The time will come when Christianity gets another big hit at it. Then the Great Awakening may happen once again.

I doubt that any Great Awakening will ever happen again. There's simply too much evidence against Xianity and too many alternatives to Jebus. In a time when people either had Xianity or Atheism to choose from, perhaps the Xians could've appealed to those of us who are drawn to religiosity, but nowadays there is simply too much out there for people to examine and pick from.

Now that many people realize that Jebus won't smite them with thunder and bad luck if they don't believe in him, they are picking and choosing from all sorts of religions and religious philosophies. Atheism is one among them which will grow stronger, and Xianity's days are numbered.

Is-lame still has to receive its fatal blow, but it's time will come one day as well.

Because we all know that the world will be so much better and more perfect when everyone is an atheist. :Wendywhatever:

You know, I've really had it with people on this board touting atheism as this sort of ultimate reality and progenitor of perfect society. I think it is a carryover from their Christian days when they needed an Ultimate Reality and a belief in the Perfectness of their beliefs.

Personally, I don't give a shit what anybody believes in, as long as they don't force it on me. But I consider glorifying one's personal beliefs as the Great Ultimate Truth as pushing it on others.

Why does everyone believe that 1) their reasoning is superior to everyone else's, 2) that what makes one happy, surely must be the way for all other beings? My beliefs make me happy but I certainly don't think that they're the tonic for everyone else. A lot of people have great happiness being Christian or Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist or whatever, and so long as they're not preaching about it to me, I recognize that as perfectly legitimate and even wonderful. You can't assume that as soon as everyone goes atheist the entire world will be in a state of bliss and contentment because - surprise, surprise - everyone is not exactly like you. Each person has their own needs, experiences, and desires to live with. Some people would be absolutely miserable as atheists, some would be stupid and closed-minded, and others violent. Just as with Christianity or Islam. As for reasoning, I have my reasoning and it's perfect - for me. I certainly don't consider my ability to reason any greater than anyone else's, especially considering that I live in one body and they live in others and these eyes have seen different things. I don't think that this guy, that guy, or myself has the ability to think any "higher" than anyone else. Everyone has the same potential and some will arrive at some conclusions and some at others.

Because we all know that the world will be so much better and more perfect when everyone is an atheist.

You know, I've really had it with people on this board touting atheism as this sort of ultimate reality and progenitor of perfect society. I think it is a carryover from their Christian days when they needed an Ultimate Reality and a belief in the Perfectness of their beliefs.

Personally, I don't give a shit what anybody believes in, as long as they don't force it on me. But I consider glorifying one's personal beliefs as the Great Ultimate Truth as pushing it on others.

Why does everyone believe that 1) their reasoning is superior to everyone else's, 2) that what makes one happy, surely must be the way for all other beings? My beliefs make me happy but I certainly don't think that they're the tonic for everyone else. A lot of people have great happiness being Christian or Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist or whatever, and so long as they're not preaching about it to me, I recognize that as perfectly legitimate and even wonderful. You can't assume that as soon as everyone goes atheist the entire world will be in a state of bliss and contentment because - surprise, surprise - everyone is not exactly like you. Each person has their own needs, experiences, and desires to live with. Some people would be absolutely miserable as atheists, some would be stupid and closed-minded, and others violent. Just as with Christianity or Islam. As for reasoning, I have my reasoning and it's perfect - for me. I certainly don't consider my ability to reason any greater than anyone else's, especially considering that I live in one body and they live in others and these eyes have seen different things. I don't think that this guy, that guy, or myself has the ability to think any "higher" than anyone else. Everyone has the same potential and some will arrive at some conclusions and some at others.

Then why bother coming here then. This is a disscussion board and this is what we do believe and Christianity still has a heavy influence in todays society. Thats why no stem cell research is being done which can cure people. Christianity teaching hate towards people ( Nazis did the same thing) Christianity is tool of control and you except to do nothing. You except to say nothing.

Anti-Semitism was created because of the Bible and the New Testament. With religion have such a heavy influece say nothing. The Crusades happend and no one talks about it. KEEP IT SILENT? WHAT THE HELL?

Then that begs the question WHY SAY ANYTHING KEEP SILENT? I am not a Christian anymore and I am not following by any rules. I can say piss off if you don't like what you hear I am free to speak my mind. The last thing I need from another atheist is for me to follow the rules of atheism because there is none. . I am sorry I don't play that game anymore. I have my own rules.

Well this place is also called EXCHRISTIAN.COM do expect to be happy and nonsense. Do expect us just let the same crap happening over and over. People like the kids at Jesus camp and do nothing. You of all people should know why people say these things you have been a member longer than me. Read the testimonies buddy people are angry. Yes we should speak up and give a shit about it that is what bugs me. When nobody does nothing against it.

Keep all views hidden you sound like one of the Christians keep silent and be darkness. I never knew much about atheism I was never told why. But seeing real people and having real stories makes me think a bit. We are not being told the truth.

SO DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO BE LIED TO? PEOPLE TO BELIEVE A 2000 YEAR OLD BOOK? To make the decisons of tommorow. ( Stem Cell Research)

My last thing I say YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT PEOPLE SAY LEAVE THE BOARDS THEN.

Ramen, I have to agree 100%.

Do I agree that an atheist society would be a blissful utopia? Doubt it. It would bring with it its own set of problems...

However, It can't be worse than an America that is desperately trying to become a totalitarian theocracy...

I believe that if you want to be religious then you should have the right to do so. Just don't impede on scientific studies that could change humanity for the better simply because of what a nearly 3,000 year old book, written by goat herders in the desert, has to say.

Adhere to your own moral standards. Don't intrude on government, civil rights of humans and animals, and science.

I too am in my second year of freedom from religion and religiosity.

If all religionists were like Sage Nabooru, we'd probably be fine. But most are not.

Most religionists demand that you think like them. That you worship the same god in the same way that they do.

If you don't, then you're guilty of thoughtcrimes for which the penalty is worse than life in prison. The penalty is eternity in prison.

You'd still have a certain amount of monstrous acts and murders, even if atheism was the prevailing thought of humankind. You'd probably even still have few wackos who would strap bombs to themselves in order to prove some kind of point.

But at least they wouldn't be deluded into thinking that the creator of the universe was looking down and smiling in approval of the act.

If all religionists were like Sage Nabooru, we'd probably be fine. But most are not.

Here, here :)

There is some Atheism in me, yes, but I am not completely Atheist. I can be considered a "religionist" since at the very least I worship certain concepts and ideas and as well believe in and practice some forms of magic. Then there's Asatru, to which I've been keen for a long time, as well as all other ancestral Heathen religions - and the list goes on.

Religion per se is not the problem and never has been - it's certain individual religions and people's extremist take on them which is at fault. Those who believe that everyone else must believe as they do and do what they can to force it on others are at fault. Human society existed for thousands of years believing in many religions, and it's historical fact that only a few of them were ever really problematic. The bulk of evidence suggests that most religions are relatively harmless.

Equating "religion" with the definition an Abrahamist would have you use is the worst thing you can do in regards to coming to a proper understanding of what "religion" really is.

Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and Red China all prove that it's extremist ideas which are the problem, not religions. Get into the mentality that you have to force everyone else to think like you do, and your beliefs instantly become problematic.

Get into the mentality that you have to force everyone else to think like you do, and your beliefs instantly become problematic.

And that is WHAT EXACTLY Christianity is doing isn't it. What;s the whole point "spread da word."

How about the Crusades and actually KILLING PEOPLE OF ANOTHER RELIGION. That had to do with all religions. At the time they were doing what "God" wanted them to do. They believed what they did was good fighting evil.

Lets look where Christians are influencing todays soceity:

Focus on the Family is good place to start. They want to influence EVERYONE and tell people what is right or wrong. They want to the model Christian for you. Follow by THEIR RULES. Follow by THEIR BOOKS.They do want to force their beliefs on you.

Stem Cell Research : Why is it not done? How come a cure for cancer is not possibly found?

Christians are trying to stop it. Which right now they have succeded. Until something happens.

Ban for Gay Marriages- Christians created that treating peple like dirt ( Because of their belief is being forced on people)

Harry Potter- My favorite books however we all know they have controversy, of course. A lady tries to ban the books from the whole county because in her Christian teachings" they are evil in a county in Georgia. "

it's certain individual religions and people's extremist take on them which is at fault. Those who believe that everyone else must believe as they do and do what they can to force it on others are at fault.

So its the fault of pastors and people like Dr. Dobson. Fred Phelps and those kind of people? That is also like Pat Robinson also.......

Here is a question?

When was the last time a Hindu tried to force their religion on you?

...Buddist?

....Islam (to you not the country)

Even Judasim ?

Christianity seems to be the only FORCING religion on you. Yes they do use force upon it and try to do anything. They affect you more than you know even if you are not one of them. Because they influence society greatly.

Just thought I'd throw one more idea out there. Even though Religion and God usually go hand in hand they are not mutually exclusive things.

You can have God without religion, like the Deists, You can also have Religion without God.

I personally consider myself Athiest AND Taoist, because being Taoist doesn't require a belief in god...neither does Budhism or Confucinism

While I don't like christianity in particular, and I don't think there is a god, I don't think the main failing of christianity is its belief in God, I think its main failing is dogmatism. Can a belief in god lead to dogmatism? In the christian religion it seems too, but you don't have to be a christian to be dogmatic,

There are dogmatic Muslimsm, Buddhists, Shintoists, even Taoists.... I've read some things by some Taoists philosphers that smakcked of dogmatism and crazy nonsense ideas... and no matter how much I ever got into the religion I would never just take any Taoist priest or philosopher tell me what to think.

what strikes me as the main problem is people who don't think for themselves or figure out what is true for themselves. Of course people who force beliefs on others are a problem too, but that is a natural element of dogmatic beliefs in my opinion...and though christians are by far the most obvious source of this kind of dogmatism in the U.S. it is by far not the only source of it. Communist counties, for instance, mimic religious theocracies in all the important ways.

Communist counties, for instance, mimic religious theocracies in all the important ways.

That's what I'm saying. Communist countries have killed millions in the name of atheism. The fact is no ideology can be successfully entirely forced upon the entire world, even as its salvation, because no single ideology can be the entire world's salvation. Except perhaps for tolerance.

I do believe that it is possible to unite the entire globe in a single frame of mind; however, it will simply be the understanding that each life has value, not a complete unification of all thought, custom, and culture.

As long as you have the mindset that God can only exist in the Abrahamic mindset, I believe you're just as "dangerous" as you were as a Christian because you're still seeing everything from a warped worldview. I also believe the same if you believe that your own personal beliefs are the only way to save all of mankind (from what?). Most religions do not believe in a religious obligation to oppress science and learning. Just as "God" and "religion" are not neccessarily always together, "faith" and "science" are not neccessarily always seperate.