Goodbye Jesus

Random Church Things

AStandAloneComplex

So there is this old church building that's across the street from me. It was abandoned for like 15 years until about 2 years ago when another church decided to move in. Needless to say this pissed me off. So now on some nights I can hear the choir practicing. ugh. Then, like a week ago, they put a glowing sign in front of the church. :Doh: Now when I look out the window at night I see this stupid sign. ugh. So annoying. Stupid church invading my territory. :(

So one day I was on the train coming home and outside the window I saw a HUGE fire. It was in the middle of an open space/field so there was no danger of other buildings catching fire. There were no fire fighters there yet, so I assumed it had started pretty recently. At first I thought it was a huge bon fire. Then I realized that it was actually a church. It was a huge pile of fire shaped like a church. It was quite a sight to see. And I was glad that the church burned down, lol. :HaHa: No one got hurt or anything in the fire, so it was ok that I celebrated it's destruction.

My turn to share a random church story...

The church I went to as a child was very fundamentalist. They had a long list of prohibitions: no long hair for men, no jewelry for anyone, women couldn't wear pants, no makeup, no dancing...you get the idea. The congregation was shrinking, or else they just couldn't raise enough money to keep the old church building going, so the decision was made to move. I was highly amused when I heard that the church building sold and was to be converted into a dance studio. I bet the old saints were rolling in their graves! The church still exists; they had bought some land with a house and polebarn. The polebarn was converted into the church building, and the congregation now is even smaller (maybe 20-25 on a good Sunday) and the age of the average member is probably 75. It will be interesting to see if the church will even survive beyond another 10 years. :sing:Another one bites the dust, hey, hey... :sing:

Hi crew. I don't really have a church story per se but something pretty similar.

My first job was in high school (was home schooled the last couple years and ended up working most of the time) and I was a shipping clerk for a zany southern baptist company. My dad worked there too upstairs and knew the guy they hired for their "scientific research." This guy was a real piece of work. Hardcore reconstructionist christer... no birth control, a mess of kids trained to grow up as christian soldiers, and his wife and daughter had to have their heads covered at all time from the crap in the new testament from wonderful Paul. Anyway, this guy and his family were invited over to our place for dinner... they had the gall to come into OUR home and evangelize and try to shame us, make us feel bad, and we had to fucking pray at the dinner table, something we never do and something that today sends me into a semi-psychotic rage when it's brought up.

To top this all of, his kids broke a few of our old toys we had found for them and after dinner this asshole actually BACKED UP into our mailbox and knocked it off... then just drove away. Never offered to pay for fixing it or mentioned it at all at work.

Nice. Fucking. Christian. Family.

Turns out this insane family was a member of a radical church like the one mentioned in the above post that's clearly dying. They met in some rented hall in a stripmall every sunday... and on easter sunday when i went (ugh, very bad memory, block it out, block it out, ok, better, moving on...) they only had no more than twenty people, including said crazy christer family. Congregation was obviously on its way out... good riddance.