Goodbye Jesus

The One Thing That Falsifies Christianity For You?

Wertbag

I'm interested to hear what would you say is the single biggest issue or piece of evidence that falsifies Christianity to you?

I realise some of you may find it hard to narrow it down to a single thing, but what do you consider the strongest evidence against?

Personally I find its the lack of contact/communication with God. The Christian belief that He wants to have a relationship with us, has the power to do so and in doing so would convince us and remove all of the mis-understandings and lies, but for some strange reason does not do so, stands out as a major gap. It is also one that I've not really heard any good answer to. Usually the question is met with "you do not have God in your heart", or "only a true believer can hear Gods word", and yet these "true believers" can't agree on the church, bible or even what God wants of us.

If God wanted me to know Him he could do so. I couldn't reject Him if he made it obvious that he was there... He doesn't.

Thoughts?

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

It's the constant contradiction between the Bible version of Jehovah and Christian perception of Jehovah.

Christian perception: Infallible, omniescent, all loving and compassionate deity.

Bible God - Written as anything but the above.

If the christian perception of Jehovah was true, it would totally negate the Bible, Hell, and Jesus. If the Bible version is true, Jehovah's just another big and rather sadistic human in the sky and not really a god at all.

The fact that it is no more valid than any other of the countless religion of the past and present. Christianity claims to be the one true path, the truth, the way, etc., just like EVERY other religion, with no more credible evidence than any other religion backing it up.

The fact that it is no more valid than any other of the countless religion of the past and present. Christianity claims to be the one true path, the truth, the way, etc., just like EVERY other religion, with no more credible evidence than any other religion backing it up.

Divine vengeance. The Bible presents a character Yahweh, who will take vengeance upon us for our brutality to others. But Yahweh himself is an atheist who disbelieves in the existence of a more ultimate or superior person who shall judge him. Yahweh has absolutely no evidence to be an atheist, yet he states with supreme confidence that he can do what he wants with impunity.

The fact that God only talks to certain people (uh huh), but more than that, the unfounded belief in miracles/revelation at all. There's just no reason to believe in all that bs demagoguery.

Hell for innocent little Hindu, Buddhist, and other children/adults for no good reason.

OT attrocities and Sadistic behavior unworhty of me.

I'm interested to hear what would you say is the single biggest issue or piece of evidence that falsifies Christianity to you?

I realise some of you may find it hard to narrow it down to a single thing, but what do you consider the strongest evidence against?

Personally I find its the lack of contact/communication with God. The Christian belief that He wants to have a relationship with us, has the power to do so and in doing so would convince us and remove all of the mis-understandings and lies, but for some strange reason does not do so, stands out as a major gap. It is also one that I've not really heard any good answer to. Usually the question is met with "you do not have God in your heart", or "only a true believer can hear Gods word", and yet these "true believers" can't agree on the church, bible or even what God wants of us.

If God wanted me to know Him he could do so. I couldn't reject Him if he made it obvious that he was there... He doesn't.

Thoughts?

For me it's the whole relationship between Jesus and God. Depending on who you ask, Jesus is either God's son, or he is god himself. So your choices are 1.) god actually has a biological son (yeah, rriiiiight, maybe god also has a dear old auntie and some cousins out there we don't know about?), or 2.) my father is my son is my father is my son is my father is my son is my father is my...., ad infinitum (cuckoo, cuckoo! :crazy:). Either option is so absurd it's beyond belief.....

For me, I think it's the utter illogicality of a god that is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving. A god like that wouldn't have made a world governed by chaos, make humans (his most beloved creatures, right?) so frail and easily injured or killed, let the devil rebel and permit sin to enter into the world - oh, I can go on all night.

An all-loving god would want to prevent evil, an all-knowing god would know how to do it, and an all-powerful god would be able to make it reality - and a god with all three characteristics wouldn't be able to do anything less. To do less would open the door wide for people to suffer needlessly, for "sin" to grow and spread, for the souls of millions of innocents to be tricked into damnation over time, and so on.

But since we live in a world fraught with peril, governed by random chaos as much as by scientific laws, and where the only god (the Abrahamic god) to be ascribed all those qualities is defied by us "puny" little humans, I cannot accept that the Abrahamic god exists. Hence, Xianity cannot possibly be true, on that point alone.

The whole thing is a lie.

If I had to pick one particular thing, it would be the lack of any indication that Xianity is the one true religion, other than that Xians say so.

Hearsay and loud insistence just ain't gonna cut it with me.

The whole thing is a lie.

This about sums it up for me. The total lack of any feeling of contact after a lifetime of useless prayer,worship and anxiety.

The hell doctrine. I cannot imagine anything more unjust or evil than torturing someone for all of eternity simply because they are not a member of a particular religion or because they are not perfect (according to the fundies' version of perfect).

It was reading....really reading...the bible--esp the OT. It was so obviously written by bronze-age men with bronze-age sensibilities (if you can call it that).

The problem of evil for sure and Ezekiel 18 which shows that Yahweh already had a plan of salvation that was do it yourself.

I didn't read the whole thread so if I am repeating something I apologise. It's been a super bad day, but I felt like responing to this.

One thing? I am not sure there is only one, but the biggest thing is "God's perfect law". The way I was taught Christianity was that God gave us, through Moses, the law, and the law was perfect. Although the fall, with Adam and Eve, made Jesus' sacrifice needful, the law was given to us so we would know we could never follow it.

There is so much wrong with this it could make me sick. More then just what I wrote above.. perfect law?? PERFECT????? Perfect my butt. Have you ever read it?? Well I know many of you have... let's see, woman gets raped, who's the victum??? Not her, nooooooo in fact in some cases she could be as guilty as the rapist. No no no, the victum is her father, or her husband depending, because even in God's perfect law, women were still property. Yes, I have heard numerous explanations for this, but they all fall flat. There are more glaring injustices in "God's perfect law" I am not going to list them all here, plus I don't feel like going and getting a bible right now. This though is the main reason. The law is not perfect, except maybe perfectly monsterous, and if that was some God's law, well, then the best thing I could possibly be is an infidel.

For me, it came down to God him/itself and his failure to live up to his own standards, when they didn't contradict each other, of course.

For example: one moment we're told that God is "all powerfull". The next, we're told that "Oh, God couldn't do it because you lacked faith."

Huh?

An all powerful God doesn't need me to have faith in him to achieve his goals. If he is dependent on my "sinful, imperfect" faith, then he's not all powerful. In fact, he is weaker than I am. Anything claiming to be stronger than I am yet is weaker than I am is firstly, a liar, and secondly, not worth a pinch of shit, let alone any sort of "worship".

And if he isn't all powerful, like the christians and indeed himself say, what else isn't he?

I grew up in a Pentecostal where feeling God was paramount. Despite pursuing God -- and waiting for him to find me -- for 19 years, I never felt a single thing. I find nothing to prove God.

The One Thing That Falsifies Christianity For You?

God.

The fact that the Bible was put together some 200+ odd years after Jesus is supposed to have existed, and that it was put together by a somewhat arbitrary selection process. I also had difficulty with all this "relationship with God/Jesus" business...

Thoughts?

My biggest issue with main stream Christianity is Hell. Would you put your kids in the barbecue if they misbehaved?

Neither would I, so if doing something like that is unthinkable for a lowly human you'd expect a God to be above such things.

Personal experiences that I went through plus realising that the bible is not all true.

That's the kicker. If god's that big, he can reveal himself to everyone, everywhere, unmistakably, and he wouldn't need a blood offering of himself to himself to satisfy himself.

Guest Freethinka

There are lots of them, but I suppose the big one that I think of nearly everyday ( I'm nurse ) is why would an all-powerful, all-knowing God let such human suffering happen. Why do children die of cancer? Why do ppl die in Tsunamis and hurricanes? A Christian friend of mine ( a regular guy, not a bible thumper ) said in response to this question, that God doesn't have time for everyone! I REALLY had to supress my laughter!

The Plan of Salvation doesn't hang together.

By virtue of dying on a cross Jesus somehow "opened heaven's gates" so we could get to heaven.

Me: But HOW?

Christian: Well, you need faith. If you had all the answers it wouldn't be faith.

Me: There is so much left that I don't know even if I get this one question answered that there is still LOTS of room for faith. Just answer me this ONE question.

Never got an answer.

I've posted it on discussion boards.

I've bugged profs.

I've read the Bible.

I've pretended to believe and lived like I believed.

I went through all the motions of being a good Christian and followed in blind obedience like a good trusting little girl.

I bugged uneducated spiritually wise ministers.

I bugged pastors with MDivs.

I bugged professional theologians with PhDs who were lifelong Christians.

No answer.

Conclusion: There is no answer.

Christianity is supposed to be such a simple religion that even children and slaves can understand it. I should not have to seek so long and hard simply to make the central tenet hold together. Jesus said: Seek and ye shall find.

If the object of my search is a needle in a haystack, yes, there is an outside chance of finding it. If the object of my search is an answer to a simple little question at the heart of Christian doctrine there isn't a chance in eternity that I'll find it. It's not like I was asking a hard question. Just trying to clear up a discrepency. They promised I would understand when I got older. I got forty. I got fifty. I am older now. I still don't understand. What I am now being told is that it is not necessary to understand. Well HELLO!!!!

Real promises don't work like that.