Goodbye Jesus

New Here.....many Deists Here? More Atheists? Agnostics? ....

Guest OverRunWithSons

Guest OverRunWithSons

I still go to a Christian Church -simply for the Social aspects I suppose, have many Christian friends -who accept me for rejecting much of what is in the Bible. If they didn't, I'd dump them cause I do not need the hassle and Judgement of their dogma. Of coarse, in Church itself, I try to keep my mouth shut, I realize I have to respect their views on thier Turf. In the last few months, I have realized I have NEVER been a Chritian at all, but a "Deist" at heart. I heard it said once... You Might be a Deist if you like to argue with Christians, but want to defend God to an Atheist. Yes, I believe that is Me. Just desiring to know --take a poll --and maybe this has already been done on here and I do not know where, if so, please give a link. BUt what are MOST of you NOW --after rejecting Christianity? Thank you.

I consider myself an atheist, although depending on who I am talking to sometimes I refer to myself as an agnostic just because it's a little more user-friendly. When I left Christianity I went from Christianity to deist to atheist. I kind of waffled back and forth between deism and atheism for a bit, but in the end I decided there wasn't enough evidence for me to retain belief in a god of any type. I guess I think of it like having a belief in extraterrestrial beings: Could they exist? Sure. Should I maintain a belief that they do? Hmm... well without evidence I don't really see the point. Make sense?

Anyway welcome to ex-c!

Welcome OverRun,

I consider myself an atheist. I'm not a "no amount of evidence could make me believe" atheist, but a "the probablity that gods exist based on the evidence I've seen is so low that I live my life as if there are no gods"™ atheist.

I probably am 100% atheistic when it comes to the christian god as described in the bible. There are just too many contradictions and obvious human fabrications for that character to be real.

I think I'm really leaning in the direction of Deism. Due to experiences I've had(of the supernatural persuasion)I don't want to say there is absolutely nothing...

However, I agree with TexasFreeThinker that the evidence of a personal god is so low that I can't, rationally, believe in it.

I guess I'm still figuring it out myself.

Hi ORWS,

I was raised agnostic and went to Christian, to Pagan, to Theist, to Deist, and now I think I'm somewhere between agnostic and athiest. I lean towards Buddhism in daily practice and lifestyle, though I'm really not sure if I'd call myself a Buddhist.

Agnostic here...simply because "I just don't freakin' know, so get off my back." One of my pet peeves is an atheist who wants to argue with me, just like christians do, and if I don't agree with them, writes me off as an idiot. Probably one of the reasons I don't debate on this forum, because it seems to degenerate into "you're a moron" tit for tat.

Intellectually I'm an atheist. The burden of proof that there is an external deity is on those who believe it, not me. But it seems to me that the deity has been on vacation for a very long time, or is a deaf mute. hehehe

Hey Tex! Long time, no hear! Good to see you back posting, dude. One of the reasons ExC is such a cool place.

And LMReligion, thanks for the agreement on the Haggerty thread. I sorta went off. I guess my new job is getting me a little ranty.

:grin:

er, what's the difference between Theism and Deism? Just for the record I still sympathise with paganism although I am not sure I could really call myself a pagan.

Guest OverRunWithSons

Someone could explain this far better than me, but I think the basic difference between Deism and Theism is.... Deists believe SOMETHING created this world we see with our eyes, as it says in the US constitution, it is "self evident" (my reasoning agrees with this), that is not to say it is the GOD of the Bible at all. We just believe in a Creator -then after that --we can admit we simply do not know or have the answers. Reasoning with our minds & common sense -we hold MORE than any type of "faith". Theists... hold to certain Doctrines-claiming they are the inspired Word of God, like the Bible -believing all of it , or the unbeliever is in error. Deists definetly have a problem with that. If I am wrong about this, please correct me. Love this site!

Total complete atheist, and I hate anyone who even thinks about believing in God...yea, that's right...hate. :)

Guest OverRunWithSons

Total complete atheist, and I hate anyone who even thinks about believing in God...yea, that's right...hate. :)

I so take it, you would hate me, just for believing "something" created all of this? and that is all. What , do you feel if anyone goes THAT far, they are dangerous somehow? I do not understand why you would hate someone who is not judging you in any way, or telling you how to live, or forcing dogma on you. I don't get it. Please explain. I DO understand you hating those who are forcing their God beliefs down your throat. I also resent that. As neither of us can prove either way in reality, I think the Deist and the Atheist are on equal ground really. I do not hate you for not believing, why do you hate me? :scratch:

er, what's the difference between Theism and Deism? Just for the record I still sympathise with paganism although I am not sure I could really call myself a pagan.

Deists believe a god created a world, but ceased interacting with it after it's creation. They believe no prayer or offers necessary, the work's done and paid for, we're on our own.

Theists believe god still interacts with his creation. You can pray and whatever deity you believe in will answer you.

I'm still wrestling with this one. I'm pretty much with Curtdude in that intellectually, I'm an athiest, maybe, but I think there is a "spiritual" (for lack of better term) side of humanity. It may be just an evolved characteristic, but so are love and altruism, and I don't want to get rid of those, so I don't want to lightly toss aside spirituality either. As I mentioned in the thread I just started on Christian beliefs, right now I'm trying to sort out what I believe into the "Christian" pile and the "my own beliefs" pile. I just realized that even when I answered the "Any Gods?" question, it was a remnant of my Christian perspective that caused me to answer "No," i.e. if I don't believe in the Christian god I must not believe in any gods at all.

I'm an atheist. I'm as certain to the existence of God as I am certain to the existence of Zeus. However my beliefs are falsifiable. If God was to reveal himself to me in a way in which I am certain that he exists, then I would believe. However I doubt that would happen.

Atheist. Got started as an apathetic agnostic ("I don't know and I don't care," which is still true for many things in my life), and from there learning and skepticism took their natural course. :wicked:

Also, it'll serve you well to know that Asimov loves getting a reaction out of people. That's part of the reason his nickname is Assy. ;)

:HaHa:

Deists believe in a neutral, "hands-off" Creator. Theists believe in (an) interactive "personal" deit(y/ies).

Edit: Er, yeah.. what Kurari said. :Look:

OverRunWithSons, welcome.

I heard it said once... You Might be a Deist if you like to argue with Christians, but want to defend God to an Atheist.

I've been a deist for many years since I left Christianity. As you can see in my thread in this forum, "Does exchristian=atheism, I can't help confronting atheism. Although I'm an agnostic above all since I don't know that my belief in deism is correct. I also inhabit the Dynamic Deism board (http://dynamicdeism.org/forum/phpBB2/index.php), where I'm sure you, and all non-spammers are welcome. I do believe that atheism is the only reasonable alternative to deism, but that seems to go in one ear and out the other with some here. There are many atheists here that aren't as pugnacious as some you run across like Asimov who hates non-atheists. I didn't actually know he felt that way until this thread.

In any case, welcome.

I still go to a Christian Church -simply for the Social aspects I suppose, have many Christian friends -who accept me for rejecting much of what is in the Bible. If they didn't, I'd dump them cause I do not need the hassle and Judgement of their dogma. Of coarse, in Church itself, I try to keep my mouth shut, I realize I have to respect their views on thier Turf. In the last few months, I have realized I have NEVER been a Chritian at all, but a "Deist" at heart. I heard it said once... You Might be a Deist if you like to argue with Christians, but want to defend God to an Atheist. Yes, I believe that is Me. Just desiring to know --take a poll --and maybe this has already been done on here and I do not know where, if so, please give a link. BUt what are MOST of you NOW --after rejecting Christianity? Thank you.

I'm a Gnostic Christian.. Unlike normal Christians I don't believe in a hell, sin, the resurrection or Satan. The links in my signature will explain more if your curious.

Btw, Welcome to Ex-C!

Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion, Page 18, second paragraph

"Pantheism is sexed up atheism. Deism is watered-down theism."

I am an Atheist. Plain and simple.

Whoever is still walking down the middle of the fence is still looking for the truth. You will either believe in a faith based lie or believe in proven facts. Everyone has to die and faith based religion seems to be the best way to mentally escape the reality of dieing and not see the truth in front of you.

No offence to anyone

Everyone has to die and faith based religion seems to be the best way to mentally escape the reality of dieing and not see the truth in front of you.

Well put.

I'm an Atheist to the bone.

Total complete atheist, and I HATE anyone who even thinks about believing in God...yea, that's right...HATE!!!! :brutal_01::die::vtffani:

OMG you're too funny!

*tee hee*

*giggles!*

Welcome to the forum it's wonderful to have you!!! :woohoo:

Personally I feel comfortable with the label agnostic for my own lack of belief.

Welcome ORWS

Everyone here has their own opinions and most don't hold back at giving theirs. Not all of us have a book to lead us in one direction but I think you will find that most here have good morals and intentions no matter what they are.

I hope to hear from you some more.

For the most part, I too am an Agnostic above all. In the end, I don't know and no one else does, either.

I have studied many religions and religious philosophies. Aside from Agnosticism, I am keen towards Asatru (and all Paganism in general), Buddhism, LaVeyan Satanism, and Atheism. After leaving Xianity, I was a Deist for a time, then went Asatru (with some underlying Agnosticism), now am more heavy on the Agnosticism, and studying Buddhism, LaVeyan Satanism, Atheism, and general Paganism (as each suits me). I suppose you could call me an "Agnostic Pagan/Heathen" if you like. I entertained several personal theories about "personal" gods but haven't any more answers than when I began thinking, so I am pretty Atheistic towards any gods at the present. Gods make good metaphors, and little else.

I try to study philosophy as much as I study various appealing religions, and also study ancient and modern magical theory. As for gods - I'm all the god I need :D

Agnostic Ásatrú mystic with a side order of Vipassana meditation. Just call me the Zen Valkyrie. :HaHa:

Guest AriseNow

If I was asked in a serious argument, I would say I am an Apathetic Agnostic, but for all practical purposes I would be an atheist, although only now am I using the titles "out of the closet".

I was a Catholic in name for most of my childhood but started getting blank stares when I described God in a way a Deist would, so from about 13 or 14 years of age I was really considering the logic of this God concept. Now I'm 22 and through science I've seen the Universe is too intriguing to belittle it by attributing it to gods.

I do not hate you for not believing, why do you hate me? :scratch:

Two reasons: First because, as an atheist, all I have is hate. Second because, I'm totally joking.