Goodbye Jesus

Language

Johnmilton

Let me make this crystal clear. I am not addressing the goddamned trolling christer turds who float around here like flotsom and jetsam in a full portapotty. I don't give a damn what you think and would like to see you all jettisoned. I am asking other ex-christians how they feel about the matter.

I'm against censorship in all forms and am very happy there are no language barriers here. However, I do try to not come off as George Carlin, although my posts have proven otherwise. This is because I have a lot of anger, as I've noticed most of us do, and reliving some memories brings it all back. Righteous anger.

I'm just curious if some of the more colorful language-ridden posts are offensive?

I was thinking this could be an interesting discussion as a lot of us are ex-fundamentlists or grew up in a fundy household where there were probably big rules against "swearing."

Believe it or not, I do try to keep my posts at the PG-13 level... :)

I only get offended when my mom does it. Mostly because she was big on the "No swearing!" bit while me and my brother were growing up, and now she lax on it. That and she's so unused to using it, that when she tries to swear like a sailor and she can't do it right and it sounds really stupid. Soooo embarrassing to listen to. So my brother and I are always telling her to watch her mouth. XD

Otherwise I don't even notice swearing and bad language, unless it's used excessively.

Stuff like, "Those fuckin' fuckity fuckin' christians and their fuckin' fucked up bullshit bible, and their fuckin' self rightous fuckin' attitudes!"

Makes you sound like a smurf with verbal diarreah.

And stuff like, "xtins suxxors SO bad! UR STOOPID! HA HA HA HA!"

Unless you are posting through cell phones, you have no excuse not to type "your" out properly.

When it's like that, it just indicates you are not worth reading.

It don't bother me as long as I get what your saying. Swearing don't bother me either cause I do it anyway. I don't like things like this tho "LMFAOROTFL" cause if I don't know what that is I got to ask what it is, and Your just going to have to tell me anyway so, what's the point? Before anyone asks "LMFAOROTFL" is Laughing My Fucking Ass Off Rolling On The Floor Laughing. Winch is silly cause if your rolling on the floor then you are not typing.

Profanity, when used as part of articulate speech or writing, is entirely appropriate and can serve a useful purpose.

When profanity is abused it also serves a useful purpose; it lets me know which posts are written by someone who is unable to intelligently express themselves and are therefore not worth reading.

In neither case do I find profanity itself offensive; how could it be? Words themselves are not offensive, but the underlying beliefs, thoughts and assumptions. Come to think of it, the things that I find the most offensive are fundamentalist religious beliefs, which are perfectly capable of being horrifyingly offensive with no profanity needed to express how vile they are.

I'd be lost without my Carlin list.

'Nuff said. :mellow:

Fuckers. :HaHa:

I'm more annoyed by people who can't seem to express themselves clearly bacause they're feeling so passionate that they type too fast and make lots of typos. Sometimes it takes two or three readings to get the point of some of those! I guess what I'm saying is that I wish more folks would use the "preview" function.

And also those who won't bother to use spellcheck. I generally have MS Word open on the computer and compose there so I CAN spellcheck, then copy & paste. It really doesn't take that much more time...

Not so many of guilty of either of those here, thank goodness!

But obscenities? Nah. It's just self-expression. This is one of the few forums I come to that doesn't block that kind of thing.

I don't cuss on the board unless I'm drinking and even then I use symbols in place of a few letters (F#@k, S%!t).

Of course the next day I feel stupid and wish I could edit it.

When I was in Bible College the person that got the highest marks in English was a Dutch exchange student.

I'm not sure that adds anything to the discussion, except to say that Americans are not often students of their own language.

IMHO ( :lmao: ) I don't find "bad words" to be bad language as long as they are part of good writing. Poor writing can change "chocolate" into bad language, if you take my meaning.

By the by, Google tool bar for Firefox has a very good spell checker, but sometimes I forget to use it.

I'm more offended by people who don't even make an attempt to spell words correctly and who don't attempt to use proper punctuation than people who use four-letter words.

I personally don't use bad language much, but if used in the right context it can be very effective for impact. IMO, when people use it too much they start to sound insecure, emotionally immature and/or uneducated.

Jeez, I hate cunts who fucken' swear.

Profanities don't bother me at all. I can tolerate double-negatives pretty easily and use them on occasion; even though they're grammatically incorrect, I've never heard a double negative that obscured what the person was trying to say.

"l337" or other such internet speak irks the shit out of me, though. It just seems so geeky and idiotic. I don't care if you curse all the time or use double-negatives, but spell the words correctly :ugh:

Language changes over time, and all languages evolve. People should just deal with it.

I don't really like alot of swearing. I guess you can attribute that to my evangelical upbringing. However, I occassionally become irate and pepper my messages with profanities...but not in excess. Sometimes, profanity is the perfect punctuation for my feelings, at that particular time.

Plus, this forum allows you to cuss. In other forums I don't swear at all.

I'm glad you can swear here, sometimes it is appropriate, especially when you get idiot christians on here or when you're letting out the anger that christianity has caused you.

No biggie...I use so-called profanity very sparingly, but that's just my style.

No biggie...I use so-called profanity very sparingly, but that's just my style.

I agree. Well-chosen profanity has a much bigger impact than swear words that are constantly slathered on.

Know what I hate? When I listen to rap songs on tv that are good, and the lyrics--the ones that aren't explicitly censored are well put together. Then I'll hear the unedited version, with the swearing, which generally isn't all bad, but a lot of the words in the edited version are actually Nigger, even in places where it made more sense to have the edited word. It's like they're being forced to be creative and use a broader range of words.

Guest Freethinka

I personally don't find profanity offensive in certain circumstances. There is a time and place for everything. This site I feel is appropriate for such strong language because many of us are dealing with strong emotions- so it is often nessesary to truly express our feelings with profanity. This site also allows such language. Some sites don't- and if a site doesn't allow it because it might offend others then so be it. I don't get upset with sites like that because if I don't like the rules, I don't have to use that site. Now, what does offend me is hateful talk about ppl's race, looks, sexual orientation, etc. I used to go to a particular site for a television show ( that shall remain nameless so I can aviod ridicule ) and there is member there that always makes racial remarks, and remarks about ppl's weight, etc. It really irritated me and so I don't go there anymore. I guess what I am saying is that there is a time and place for everything, and this is a good place to really say how you feel! :vent:

Not only do I have no problem with profanity, I have no problem with being offended (though it's rare).

Last I checked, the Bill of Rights protected free speech.

Never having to be offended is NOT one of our Rights. You get offended, relocate yourself and GET OVER IT.

I don't normally mind profanity unless it's overused. However, those who overuse it tend to have other problems that are equally 'offensive' to me. Things like improper spelling, atrocious grammar, atrocious capitalization/punctuation skills... In my opinion, if someone doesn't respect themselves enough to pay attention to such things, then they don't deserve my respect in reading their stuff. And horrible skills when I'm looking at fanfiction earns an automatic back-page.

I really don't understand the idea of "swear words", and yet I do.

I don't get how certain words are off-limits, how for no particular reason they are considered far more worse than a word with the same meaning and purpose ("shit" as related to "poop").

And yet I realize the importance of having words that are sacrosanct, so heavy-weighted and taboo as to render their ability to express the deepest disgust indescribable. Which makes the over-abundance of swear words today depressing - twenty years ago, if you said "fuck", people knew you meant business. Now it just means you're drunk, stoned, a community college student, or all three.

What's strange is that using swear words is considered a sin in Christian dogma, yet I don't recall any particular Bible verses or commandments banning their use, even in a roundabout or offhand way.

Eye no watt u meen, u kan right sentenses conpletely rong butt steel reedable.

Couldn't care about swearing, but people who spell incorrectly (especially simple words) and use poor grammar are very annoying. Both makes it harder to read and automatically makes you think the person is poorly educated (whether or not its correct thats certainly the impression given).

The classic example is: Their, There, They're. Getting it mixed up shows either laziness or lack of understanding.

Might not matter on a cage fighting website where people aren't expected to be rocket scientists, but as soon as you start debating religion you really want to appear educated and well written.

Couldn't care about swearing, but people who spell incorrectly (especially simple words) and use poor grammar are very annoying. Both makes it harder to read and automatically makes you think the person is poorly educated (whether or not its correct thats certainly the impression given).

The classic example is: Their, There, They're. Getting it mixed up shows either laziness or lack of understanding.

Might not matter on a cage fighting website where people aren't expected to be rocket scientists, but as soon as you start debating religion you really want to appear educated and well written.

I certainly agree.

The two most common examples I've noticed on this board are: "too" being used instead of "to" and vice versa, and "your" instead of "you're" and vice versa. Can be annoying. I'm not too pedantic otherwise.

Eye no watt u meen, u kan right sentenses conpletely rong butt steel reedable.

Hear Hear! (Or is it Here Here?)

I agree fully. I just don't understand for the most part how it is that people don't know how to properly use those words. I mean, I occasionally have trouble with the difference between its and it's, but that and the proper spelling of the word conceive are about the only ones. I know that lack of time, or rushing is little excuse, because I type upwards of 60 wpm, yet I can still correct myself as I type. I'm doing it right now in fact. Ah, well, it may just be nitpicking, but it still pisses me off.

Profanities don't bother me at all. I can tolerate double-negatives pretty easily and use them on occasion; even though they're grammatically incorrect, I've never heard a double negative that obscured what the person was trying to say.

"l337" or other such internet speak irks the shit out of me, though. It just seems so geeky and idiotic. I don't care if you curse all the time or use double-negatives, but spell the words correctly :ugh:

Language changes over time, and all languages evolve. People should just deal with it.

What is 1337?