was bundled off to the Nuns for brainwashing. That was achieved with the aid

of the cane. Two years later I was sent to a Roman Catholic College run by

the dreaded Jesuit Fathers. They come third to the Christian Brothers and

the Marist Brothers as sadists. Sunday Mass of course was the "cross" I had

to endure. I lasted 30 years until I could stand no more. In the meantime

any faith I had in Roman Catholicisn was dashed by the Second Vatican

Council when the Tridentine Mass was banned and replaced by the heretical

Novis Ordo Missae accompanied by guitars and whacky hillbilly "hymns". I am

an organist though never a church organist.

In the meantime I took a keen interest in Astronomy and Astrophysics thus

realizing that Genesis was all crap as is all the bible. In the last few

years with the aid of the Internet, I have seeked out the truth about

religion and it's origins and found that Judeo/Christianity is based on two

religions in the Middle East: Egyptology and the myths of Sumer. The bible

badly rehashes many of the Egyptian myths. I am now proud to be an Atheist

and very content as one.

Welcome Eccles from a fellow ex-Catholic. While I grew up entirely in Vatican II, I still managed to get some rudiments of Latin poured into me. (Not all bad, it really helps in deciphering and pronouncing scientific names and some medical terms)

You are absolutely correct that the Christian myths are retold versions of Mithraic, Egyptian, and other old Pagan faiths. There is very little that is original, it just caught on better.

I might add that I screamed when the baptismal water was poured onto me, much to my mother's chagrin. I guess I was too nicely tempered to bite but I certainly can understand you doing so. My son is a little spitfire and would be just as inclined to do so. :-)

Welcome Eccles,

I went to a Marist Bros high school, so I can relate to their sadistic bent.

A favourite punishment was to make misbehaving kids grasp a book while they wacked them with the tawse. If they dropped the book, they got another whack and so on until they held onto the book.

If you spoke in class you got pulled out of class by your ears. They would make the whole class kneel in the playground, rain hail or shine, if the class misbehaved; pour encourager les autres.

They also liked to pull your pants down in front of the whole class and bend you over a bench to give you a good whack on the arse. I think they got their jollies out of seeing teenage boys with their pants around their ankles getting spanked.

One particular Brother used to always come into the toilets and watch us pee - he said to make sure no-one was "mucking around" in there.

At least three of the Brothers that taught at the school I went to, I later found out when I left, had been moved to other schools overseas for "sexual misconduct." Rather than have them face the law, religious groups always manage to send offenders some place else.

JUNPEI,

You refer to brothers and priests being moved. That is why there are so few priests in Australia now. The D.O.P.s (dirty old priests) are now in sanctuary from the law in the Vatican. Note all the priests there wandering around in their soup plate hats with nothing to do.

ECCLES. C.C.A. (card darrying Atheist)

Welcome. Always good to meet another survivor of the catholic camp.

catholic church refugee...thats a good description.

Welcome from another Catholic Church Refugee :)

Was born and raised Catholic, went Fundygelical, went back Catholic, then kicked it to the curb. Now exploring various Pagan religions and freethinking paths, and finding more fulfillment in staying true to myself than I ever did in letting Big Momma Church™ do my thinking for me.

Hope you enjoy your stay :)

I am a bedraggled refugee from the "

My story is similar to you. Religious training from fucked up, neurotic nuns who are now all dead and not replaced. Countless prayers, confessions, trying to rid myself os sin and vowing to "sin no more". The resut? A guilt ridden, neurotic ocd plagued individual.

I finally had the courage to say fuck it all! I still need to go to church out of social pressure. I receive! Fuck a mortal sin! And leave church and say fuck it! Fuckinchrist! I wasn't struck dead !

My life as a "born again atheist" is so much fuller,more energetic and creative without the bands of religion and gods to make me feel inferior.

The idea of hell still bugs me at times,but the end result is who the fuck cares.Be well.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bedraggled refugee from the "

My story is similar to you. Religious training from fucked up, neurotic nuns who are now all dead and not replaced. Countless prayers, confessions, trying to rid myself os sin and vowing to "sin no more". The resut? A guilt ridden, neurotic ocd plagued individual.

I finally had the courage to say fuck it all! I still need to go to church out of social pressure. I receive! Fuck a mortal sin! And leave church and say fuck it! Fuckinchrist! I wasn't struck dead !

My life as a "born again atheist" is so much fuller,more energetic and creative without the bands of religion and gods to make me feel inferior.

The idea of hell still bugs me at times,but the end result is who the fuck cares.Be well.

Hi, Garrison,

I'm sorry you and Eccles went through such Hell. I wasn't Catholic, but my brain tortured me worse than any nun could. (See my story, 'J'Accuse God'). I'm going through the "fear of Hell" thing too. But my feeling is, who wants to spend eternity with a God monstrous and sadistic enough to put people in an eternal blast furnace anyway? Yeah, now THERE'S someone I want to emulate.

PV

Hey Eccles:

I too made my escape from the Catholic Church. Never had the abuse you mentioned, but it sure played with my head. I still have bouts of insomnia.

The fear of hell idea has been kicked around these forums, you may want to do a search. For myself, no one has brought back a glowing coal or an ounce of soot from the place. No cloven hoofprints of "Satan" either. To me it's a doctrine of coercion designed to grab the parishoner by the ankles and shake all the money out of his pockets.

I went so far as to request a formal excommunication from the church. The only thing I have to do is write a letter asking for my baptismal record to be expunged.

Welcome to the forums. Glad you survived. We're here if you need us.

I am a bedraggled refugee from the "Holy" Roman Catholic Church, now a Card

Carrying Atheist. Like Prof. Dawkins said about poor little kids like me, I

was born a "Wee Catholic" and as a baby baptized into it against my will. I

showed my displeasure by biting the priests's thumb regardless of the fact

that, as I had no teeth, I could not draw blood. At the tender age of six I

was bundled off to the Nuns for brainwashing. That was achieved with the aid

of the cane. Two years later I was sent to a Roman Catholic College run by

the dreaded Jesuit Fathers. They come third to the Christian Brothers and

the Marist Brothers as sadists. Sunday Mass of course was the "cross" I had

to endure. I lasted 30 years until I could stand no more. In the meantime

any faith I had in Roman Catholicisn was dashed by the Second Vatican

Council when the Tridentine Mass was banned and replaced by the heretical

Novis Ordo Missae accompanied by guitars and whacky hillbilly "hymns". I am

an organist though never a church organist.

In the meantime I took a keen interest in Astronomy and Astrophysics thus

realizing that Genesis was all crap as is all the bible. In the last few

years with the aid of the Internet, I have seeked out the truth about

religion and it's origins and found that Judeo/Christianity is based on two

religions in the Middle East: Egyptology and the myths of Sumer. The bible

badly rehashes many of the Egyptian myths. I am now proud to be an Atheist

and very content as one.

Glad to hear of your escape! :) How many years have you been out of Catholicism now?