The Future

mick

I just read a fairly troubling article. It talked about the intense rise of fundamentalism over the past 40 years. It talked about how a future return of "Dark Ages" type of world is possible.

It horrorfies me to think of that possibilty. Christianity and the Bible are clearly insane to me now. In light of a possible triumph and a return to a Dark Age, it seems that we must not remain silent.

Am I just being rediculous? Will science and reason win out? That is what must happen. I have no doubt that if Chritianity ever achieved total power again it would not be long before hereitcs were burned alive again. Just think of how dogmatic fundamentalists are with NO power!

It is very common for people who are getting older and aging to become more religious. The Babyboomers are aging. The phenominon of a babyboom took place all over the world after WW2. Look at the age of the Babyboomers now, the oldest ones are 60 now. I can say that for the next 20 years or so, you will see a rise in religious and fundamental activity. Once the babyboomers die off, there will be swing back of the pendulum. Also, most Christians are not the Fundy types, they may be irritating evangelicals but they are not the hard core fundy types.

But many of us are babyboomers (I am one) and we left conservative religion behind. I know you might be refering to super-strict fundamentalism, but evangelicalism is just fundy lite, and they work with fundies on a lot of projects. So I include them in the group.

Here in Canada we dont have fundies dictating law and policy.... YET

But they are a growing concern. Most are mental patients, and obviously so.

But there are a few in politics, and they are all ultra right wing maniacs.

...Most Christians are not poor and ignorant as the Muslims are and the minute they feel they may lose any of their current comfortable lifestyle, they will not act so "christian." Just my 2 cents....

BurnedOut,

Boy did you hit the nail on the head there. Xtianity is certainly "belly" friendly religion as in the sins of the belly.

The very obsession with material things and excess is alive and well in fundamentalist circles. They love money dearly and there is a logical reason. Evangelists who preach poverty don't collect much money nor to churches that preach poverty.

Ultimately, greed and excess that xtians love (but in a xtian way) will always be their first loyalty.

Xtianity is a religion searching for a moral compus. That may very well be why Jesus was invented.

Mongo