Goodbye Jesus

I Have A Question

Guest Jen

Dhampir - As to Buddhism, I suppose Jun can tell you more than me, but I wonder if it's not the apparent parallels to Jesus that intrigues you about Buddha?

So, parallels with Jesus - not that I can see.

Here are a few: http://www.heartlandsangha.org/parallel-sayings.html

Life after death? I have no idea. Sometimes the thought of a nice dreamless sleep sounds very appealing.

I too think on the time before I was born. I simply can't remember not existing. So death, to me, is the same as the time before I existed.

Thank Heaven! the crisis —

The danger, is past,

And the lingering illness,

Is over at last — ,

And the fever called "Living"

Is conquered at last.

~Edgar Allan Poe

How gladly would I meet,

Mortality, my sentence, and be earth

Insensible! how glad would lay me down,

As in my mother’s lap! There I should rest,

And sleep secure.

~John Milton Paradise Lost

What time has been wasted during man’s destiny in the struggle to decide what man’s next world will be like! The keener the effort to find out, the less he knew about the present one he lived in.

~Sean O’Casey (1884–1964), Irish dramatist.

I don't know for sure if there is an afterlife, though I doubt it on since we have no evidence to suggest that we continue to exist once our brain ceases to function.

In any case I don't worry about it much anymore...it used to bother me a lot but the way I look at it death is just another part of the Tao, it is just the way things are....

why should I spend my time fearing that which I cannot control or understand? Someday I'll die, so I better find a way to live happily now...if I spend my time worrying about the afterlife only to find there isn't one then I will have wasted the small amount of time I had to enjoy existence.

Dhampir - As to Buddhism, I suppose Jun can tell you more than me, but I wonder if it's not the apparent parallels to Jesus that intrigues you about Buddha?

So, parallels with Jesus - not that I can see.

Here are a few: http://www.heartlandsangha.org/parallel-sayings.html

'Climbs up onto soap box'

Naturally, the site pointed out was a Christian-Buddhist site. What's with Christians who are interested in practicing Buddhism? Just practice. Why do they feel the need to try to draw comparisons between their "God" religion and a moral philosophy, an ethical way of life? Why do they feel they need to "Christianize" everything so it conforms to their doom-and-gloom religion?

One can usually find parallels with all the worlds religious founders if one tries hard enough. Naturally themes of morality, justice, and love are common to ALL religions. The differences between Christianity and Buddhism are far more evident however.

The Buddha was passive in his outlook toward humanity. He was engaged in self discovery to change himself. He offered advice to others who wished to find what he had found for themselves, through themselves, by their own abilities. He denied the existance of external supernatural powers that can affect mankind.

"Jesus" did not have to search for wisdom since he claimed to be the wisdom and power of "God." He came from heaven as a servant to man.

The fact that Buddha did not consider the existence of any "God" to be important shows that he can hardly be compared to "Jesus."

The Buddha said that it doesn't matter whether you believe what he tells you or not. Buddha simply pointed out the way to escape suffering and attain enlightenment. Anyone can do this, in their own way and in their own time. He pointed the way to Nirvana, but it was up to each individual to find his own way there. Each has their own path to walk on to discovery through diligent action and self-effort.

"Jesus," however, claimed to be the ONLY way. Christianity teaches that one MUST believe in "Jesus" as an incarnation of "God," before "God" can relieve all of one's sins.

Sure, they may have said a few things that sound similiar but the teachings of the ONLY righteous "God" and the humble Buddha can hardly be similar. :D

Hi Guys,

This just prompted me to post another thread.

I was going to post here, but decided a new thread would be best.

Cheers,

Amelia :)

How do those of you who convert from Christianity to nada deal with the idea of no afterlife, or no existence afterwards? For me, that is what has always scared me...either it's Jesus or nothing. Thoughts?

Hi there Jen. I still struggle with this stuff, even though I have been completely out of Christianity for 8 months. That is what comes from being an over-sensitive, slightly autistic, trusting child. Even though I know the idea of an afterlife is ridiculous, I always wonder if "maybe" they are right. Trauma of different types can affect us at any age from a prior experience.

But, when I think about it, it makes perfect sense that there is no afterlife. I ask Christians what happens to animals like cats and dogs when they die? Do they go to an afterlife? Most of them have told me that animals simply cease to exist after they die. All they have to do is think like that for humans and they would have it right.

Would it be so bad? I mean, did it bother you when before you were alive? Why should it bother you after you die? If you could live forever, wouldn't you get bored? And if you had to live forever in the "christian" heaven, would you really want to if all those fundies will be there to torment you? I think when we realize there is no magic afterlife, we will be more concerned about the life we DO know exists. We can try to do what we can to make the world a little better before our time is up. I think that is the best answer and seems to be the one that works.

That is all, Matt