Goodbye Jesus

Hell Is Real!

Llwellyn

All over this forum, I hear ex-Christians try to reassure themselves that Hell does not exist, and that the whole story is a fairytale. This is a fruitless exercise because Hell is most certainly real. The Bible teaches that there is a powerful person, Yahweh, who requites destructive retribution (“wrath”) upon those who do wrong. (2 Thess. 1:6-9.) This is what Christian theology means by the word "Hell" -- the experience of having Yahweh operate vengeance upon other persons. :thanks:

Let's face it, there are persons of great power in this world who operate upon other people destructively in retaliation for wrongs. There are fathers who, when their children mouth off to them, take vengeance on their children. There are husbands who brutalize their wives for infidelities. Many, if not most, of these persons of power shall not ever be stopped and shall never come to see their conduct as wrong. :eek:

Whether "Hell" involves the wrath of Yahweh or the wrath of an equally powerful person is, in many ways, inconsequential. It makes no practical difference whether the operator of wrath is Yahweh or is "Bubba" next door with his belt drawn. You may find yourself in Hell tomorrow when you wake up to a new day under a new boss, or you may find yourself in Hell after your death when you wake up to a new world with Yahweh more directly expressing himself. Either way, it amounts to the same thing in practicality. :HappyCry:

I believe Hell exists, because I have evidence that this world does not have only one Yahweh, but is full of Yahwehs! Hell exists? I will be punished with Hell? I well believe it! I won't be at all surprised if I find myself in Hell tomorrow morning or following my death. In fact, I will no doubt be the object of omnipotent vengeance sooner or later. ***Yawn***

But what difference does it make? Christians seem to think that the existence of Hell ought to make some difference in the beliefs that we hold and the choices that we make. Christians suppose that, if we just believed in Hell, we would worship Yahweh of Hell as God and agree with him that vengeance is justice.

What shall I do when I find myself in Hell? -- I will not lose sight of Justice. I will not give up hope. I will continue to hope that all pains, indeed, and all sorrows, all demons, yea, and all evils themselves, can help me grow and learn. (Plato, Gorgias, 472-81.) All Yahwehs, all Bibles, and all hells can contribute toward my experience of moral growth and joy. As for Yahwehs, I will hope for -- and work toward -- the goal that: although they never thought they would, they will eventually say sorry and make restitution with repentant grief.

You may find yourself in Hell tomorrow when you wake up to a new day under a new boss, or you may find yourself in Hell after your death when you wake up to a new world with Yahweh more directly expressing himself. Either way, it amounts to the same thing in practicality.

No it doesn't. My shit boss is right before my eyes.

I believe Hell exists, because I have evidence that this world does not have only one Yahweh, but is full of Yahwehs!

Could you present this evidence for us?

But what difference does it make? Christians seem to think that the existence of Hell ought to make some difference in the beliefs that we hold and the choices that we make.

You give me concrete evidence of an afterlif, with ot without hell and I'll rethink my life. That's what difference it makes.

We're in Hell right now - most folks call it the "holiday season" :P

Thankfully, it's over in about a month and a half :bounce:

Um...WTF? Please tell me that this is a spoof post. And yes, I agree that the holiday season is pretty close to being hell on earth. At least it's only two months of torture and not all year 'round.

Um...WTF? Please tell me that this is a spoof post. And yes, I agree that the holiday season is pretty close to being hell on earth. At least it's only two months of torture and not all year 'round.

Did somebody commendeer her ID?

Did somebody commendeer her ID?

I'm assuming this is a spoof post unless I find out otherwise.

I think the OP means that "Hell" can be ANY bad situation...Not some mythical fiery place of eternal torment (which christians rejoice in)...

Like little AIDS orphans in Africa. Now that is hell...:(

Hey Llwellyn,

I think I get what your point is: Life Is Hell. Skip the metaphor of a deity metting out revenge. There's plenty of that right here before our eyes.

Or am I missing your meaning? I wouldn't be surprised...I can be rather obtuse at times. (Most annoying.)

.....All Yahwehs, all Bibles, and all hells can contribute toward my experience of moral growth and joy. As for Yahwehs, I will hope for -- and work toward -- the goal that: although they never thought they would, they will eventually say sorry and make restitution with repentant grief.

Actually, it's the opposite. Belief in such silly things actually retards ones growth morally or otherwise.