Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Want To Believe?

Amelia

I was reading Sylvia Browne's Novus Spiritus site and then followed a link to "God the Female". She seems to think the only viable answer is a male/female pair in *everything* in the universe which simply is not so. Some types of life forms found on earth, scientists have found are neither male nor female. Some people are born both male and female. Not a "mistake" or a "freak of nature" but just another occurance in nature. Some people never marry or pair up with a partner either way. Nothing wrong with that. They are not "incomplete". They, like some of the life forms the scientists found, don't need another to be happy. Then there's those who are born unable to reproduce. They just weren't meant to, naturally, while others were.

Again, the rather limiting idea of what God is. Regretably, I didn't find time to dig into what she thought the afterlife is like, etc. Maybe another time if I think of it.

I'm at a cross roads right now when it comes to Sylvia herself but if you read her books all your questions are addressed and answered.

What I want to believe in the most is that I will continue on forever and that I will be able to choose my visage at will. Sylvia's after life gives me exactly what I've always wanted and what I've always dreamed was real/possible.

To put it plainly... I want to live forever and be the most beautiful woman in the world.

It's all relative... :grin:

I want to believe that there is an undying, invisible man (or woman) in the sky.

I want to believe there is a god or goddess who hears me and will help me and protect me from evil.

I want so very much to believe those fairy tales about magical people who do wonderous things.

I desperately want to believe that there is a source of justice in the universe,

but its all just fantasy,

I want to belief there will be a period of purification for me ~ where I can right the wrongs and heal the hurts I have caused in life - even if it involves some suffering. I haven't done anything to go to jail for, just have hurt some peoples feelings and not always stopped to help when I could. I'd like to make that right. (And before someone suggests it, I have tried to do that in life too. I have also taken a closer look at my actions after my de-conversion. It's funny how leaving Christianity made me a more moral person. :scratch: )

After a period of purification, I would like to have my curiosity satisfied - I'd like to get the answers and spend an eon or two in postgraduate studies in a whole *bunch* of disciplines.

• 4 weeks later...
I want to believe that there is an undying, invisible man (or woman) in the sky.

I want to believe there is a god or goddess who hears me and will help me and protect me from evil.

I want so very much to believe those fairy tales about magical people who do wonderous things.

I desperately want to believe that there is a source of justice in the universe,

but its all just fantasy,

Exactly. There are lots of things I 'want' to believe, my brain just can't entertain the notions seriously. Like I want to believe that one day humanity will outgrow religion, and unify to focus on things that will benifit the entire species...but it's more likely I win the lottery several times consecutively.

There are many things I'd like to be true, but just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true.

Of many things I wish were true, the afterlife is one thing I would not desire. To me, that would take away from the value of this life I'm living now. To live forever is also another thing I would not desire. After a certain amount of time, I'm certain I'd had done everything and got to know everything and would then become bored; the only thing not having experienced would be death. I mean, think about it...humanity will only last as long as our sun; when it goes supernova, then what? Sit around and stare out into deep space for an eternity? I admit, I enjoy doing such things while lying on the dock of a quiet lake up in Northern Ontario for about an hour at a time, but even then I tire of it and wish to pursue something else.

What I would wish, then, is a doubling of my life expectancy, as well as retaining my current health and athletic ability throughout the remainder of my life up until the point I expire.

I will ignore the concept of belief vs. reality and assume that the question really meant: if you could make something to be true by your belief, what would it be?

I'd want there to be an afterlife, but not an eternal one. I'd want it to last just long enough to let me complete my knowledge of how the Universe works. Heaven is for me a library full of science and philosophy books, connected to a laboratory capable of testing any question that is testable, and inhabited by fellow truth-seekers. Once I have a complete, or at least as close to that ideal as is possible, vision of reality, I'd be more than content to die. Knowledge for it's own sake, I guess.

I'm pretty sure that my fantasy is not the case, though.