Goodbye Jesus

My First You Tube Video

Greydon Square

Hey whats up people i just recently put up an atheist video on you tube i just want to see what you guys think. Link is Below Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk1Uom4dbDo

Link is above Enjoy

Agnosticism - "The fundamentals are not goung to care!"

Spot on!

Good vid.

Right on. I think you bring up some good points.

I've often wondered how the hell women can believe in the Bible for the same reasons you wonder how black people can buy it.

I mean shitsticks, what kind of self-humiliation and self-denigration does it take for someone to go along with a religion that treats them as chattel, as something not quite fully human, as a fucking baby factory - or, more frighteningly, as the ultimate human evil? And justifies witch hunts and mass slaughter of women by Inquisitorial courts as a means of... well shit, of what I dunno, maybe control through terror, how 'bout that.

I can't stomach that either.

Anyway. Keep us posted about your next vids, and good luck.

GS,

That was too freakin' cool!

I'm quite isolated from black culture so from your posts I was expecting something a little less laid back and hmmm... words escape me... um.. "preppy"? Perhaps more like the Infidel Guy. I was suprised but overall impressed.

Anyway, I've read your writing and now seeing your video I have to say you've got talent to go with your smarts.

Keep us posted for sure eh!

Mongo

Great video!

I do find something troubling, however. :eek:

You said you were a Crip. Why on one hand, be so adamant about supporting secular humanism, the spreading of truth, and the advancement of civilization, while also being a member of an organization that (from all sources I've heard) is one of the most violent and notorious in the U.S.? I don't understand.

And what about atheist Bloods? :eek:

To answer your question, YOU answered your question. From the sources youve heard. I have no problem with other gangs anymore because i recognize a new gang. I just wanted to draw a parallel between gang life and religion. which i pointed out. Anyways runnin late for work so maybe if u have some more questions i can answer them when i get back from work

Great video! Thanks for posting it. I like the racial issues you brought up... they seemed to ring true from my limited experience living in the big city and in a low-income minority neighborhood. Our neighbors tried to get us to go to their charismatic church all the time, we just lied and said we were already churches. The largest churches in Indy are African-American charismatic. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think it's sad that some think the only way out and to cope with a disadvantaged background is to get involved in religion and a religious education.

Wow, you are hardcore A-T-H-I-E-S-T...haha.

As a former African American fundie I totally agree with you. However, I liken our communities blind faith in christianity to stockholm syndrome.

Overall, I think it is sickening how intrinsic it is to African American culture...

Our answer to everything is reaction instead proactivity. If you are having a problem? Just pray...that is the stock and trade answer.

If you are manic depressive....Just pray. Don't use medication or see a shrink...

If you're dying of cancer...Just pray and the lawd will heal you...

These are things that I grew up listening too.

Not far from where I grew up(I lived in a middle class neighborhood, that was a few blocks from a ghetto) there was a church on every single street corner; however, there were(and still aren't)any viable grocery stores(just little bodegas scattered around), and no health clinics whatsoever...

The church is, disturbingly, the only answer for so many black Americans and it repulses me. Even celebrity black folks aren't immune...

I used to love Denzel Washington until I saw him on Oprah recently. He was lamenting upon the power of god and how some prophetess told him he would preach to people on a mass level and etc...And I'm like, "What the hell?" Of course Oprah was in total agreement...

I'm not against spirituality if it helps you. But it seems Carte Blanche in order to be black now moreso than ever. Even all of my FORMER friends, who are nothing but thugs, profess faith in Jesus...

You can kill somebody, committ armed robbery, AND be a pimp...But if you goto church, confess your "sins" and say you want to be a pastor all is forgiven...unfuckingbelieveable...

As for me I don't believe in any gods or goddesses...But I'm cool with people that do. Just don't ruin the lives of others because of your religion...

Anyway,

Was that an AK-47 in the background???

To answer your question, YOU answered your question. From the sources youve heard. I have no problem with other gangs anymore because i recognize a new gang. I just wanted to draw a parallel between gang life and religion. which i pointed out. Anyways runnin late for work so maybe if u have some more questions i can answer them when i get back from work

Ok. I still don't understand, like, you draw the parallel between gang life and religion, and despise religion, but still are active in a gang. I do suppose there's trouble for trying to leave the gang (I've heard that for most, it's impossible). But I guess I'm just curious as to why you joined the Crips and why you stay with them. I can see the benefits of having friends in a well-connected gang, just not from actually being in one.

Also, is that a real AK in the background? :wicked:

Looking forward to part 2 of the video.

You made some excellent points, especially about unification among atheists.

And also about religion (i.e. fundy christianity) in the white house...

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mat...ments.html#bush

And that's from bush's daddy, not even from contemporary george bush himself, as hard as that is to believe.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your 2-tour Iraq experience because I agree with you on it being christianity vs. islam. Especially as fundamentalist psycho christians are getting huge power plays over there in various "transitional" civilian spheres of influence simply because they're blind bush supporters or juiced into the bush machine.

Anyway, thank you for sharing the video and taking a stand.

Excellent video, tons of great points made. Keep it up!

Ecellent video, I just watched it a couple times. I have to admit that you've challenged my assumptions. Not my assumptions about religion but rather my assumptions about people in gangs. You are well spoken and clearly well studied and are excellent at public speaking. I guess I'd always just assumed that illiterate people with no other options turned to gangs. I rather enjoy having my assumptions challeneged like that because there really is little reason for me to think that.

I'm not going to probe (too much) but I do have a little curiosity because of how gangs are represented to people unfamiliar with them. You clearly remain connected and in touch with the gang but also have a job and time to persue your own interests and desires. Is that typical? Because the impression most people get is that gang life is 24/7. You also mentioned being in Iraq twice. I assume that's because you're in the military -- reserves maybe. Did that create conflict, in either direction, with the two organizations? I have to assume the military doesn't know but disappearing for months at a time has to raise questions with your friends at home.

And, I am also curious about the weapon in the corner (I'll assume it is real).

I know my questions reveal my ignorance and I hope they don't offend you. And I know that this isn't why you posted that excellent video so all this is off topic. :shrug:

I do agree with your comments about the seemingly bizarre connection between fundamentalism and african american culture. The bible was a huge driving force for those trying to keep slavery legal... hell the southern Baptist church exists because it split from the other Baptists over that very issue. And yet you find large populations of black people attending southern Baptists churches (some still segregated to this day into white and black churches). It's insane.

Ok now that i have some time....i want to take a moment to really answer the gang questions that people are asking me, not that i mind, but i think people misunderstood something. I was born into gang life. If you were raised in the late 80s early and mid 90's in Los Angeles county...chances were you had some affiliation with some gang. simply base on where you lived. when you get "put on" or "courted in" there is no "out" you can claim that your out, but the people who where once your enemies wont care that you've seen the light. your still an enemy. Someone asked on the Bboards "what about Atheist bloods?"

ill tell you this...i will accept ANYONE who embraces reason. essentially bloods and crips are nothing more than urban factions based on location and environmental evolution. I know alot of bloods who i am cool with. we are not killing each other anymore contrary to what the media or the web may tell you. i dont have to bang on a blood and he doesnt have to bang on me simply due to the fact that we are both evolved affiliates. my atheist card trumps my crip card based on the fact that its universal. crippin is not.

on a final note, yes the AK in the background is real. I put it there for the fundies. because i know they have equal if not greater firepower themselves. i do believe that there is a possibility of things getting that bad for us. not now but seriously possible in the future.

Greydon Square

Thanks for explaining gang life a little more. I'm happy to see that the media is mistaken (or deliberately misleading) and rival gangs are able to get along. I'm sorry if I kind of hijacked this thread asking about gangs. It's not something I've been exposed to, and you pretty much shattered the stereotype that has been portayed by the media of gang members.

Anyway, you kick ass, Greydon. Looking forward to video 2. :)

Two things.

It's funny I watched this video today and read this thread, as earlier I was watching South Park and it was the episode where Jimmy and Timmy join The Crips thinking it was an association for crippled people from birth like themselves. Funny how the planets align sometimes. I extend to you marshmallows and ginger-ale (though if you haven't seen that episode it won't make much sense.)

I'm white but soooo glad you pointed out the hipocracy of the hoardes of black christians out there. Ever since I "came to the light" that aspect of christianity has ALWAYS irritated me. I know my fair share of fundies but damn if some of the most hardcore fundies aren't black people, and that fact just kills me! It's almost like Jews wanting to be Nazis or something.

Great video man. As a fellow black atheist I do support you showing your face. One thing about the video though. You said that we atheist need to band together. I just don't think it will be easy to get atheist to congregate. Sounds too churchy.....But I do think atheist should at least stand up and let themselves be known.

very interesting - reminds me of the amount of africans and afro-caribs I know here in the UK who are Born Agains...

Yea i agree, its almost like black klu klux klansmen, its amazing,

dont forget to post messages on the video site!

Part 2 is going to be about Satan, and the contridiction presentation of the devil