Anyone Else Have Siblings Raising Their Kids Christian?

AKR

my sister is still uber-religious and has 3 kids that are going through the same thing we went through as kids. two hard core christians for parents, church every week, and a private christian school. i hate seeing these kids being subjected to this, but there's nothing i can do. if i were to talk to any of them right now, they'd probably see me as the devil, and my sister and brother in law would beat me to death with a sack of bibles.

it's just frustrating, because i KNOW these kids are going to be f*cked up, never even having a chance to decide things for themselves.

now, my bro is getting married, and they are both hard core christians as well. the torch is passed on.

my sister is still uber-religious and has 3 kids that are going through the same thing we went through as kids. two hard core christians for parents, church every week, and a private christian school. i hate seeing these kids being subjected to this, but there's nothing i can do. if i were to talk to any of them right now, they'd probably see me as the devil, and my sister and brother in law would beat me to death with a sack of bibles.

it's just frustrating, because i KNOW these kids are going to be f*cked up, never even having a chance to decide things for themselves.

now, my bro is getting married, and they are both hard core christians as well. the torch is passed on.

My sister and brother in law are quite religious, as are their kids.

The one thing you can do is give them presents that appear innocuous but are a bit subversive. Good books on dinosaurs, cosmology, anything with a good science content may put the kid on the right track.

And if you're challenged, it's easy to claim ignorance and be disappointed.

I have aunts and uncles raising their kids Christian, and I know my cousin is going to raise his kids Catholic.

I feel sorry for the cousin's kids, but that's because my cousin loves the ol' bottle and is a rather abusive drunk. Whenever I see his fiancee I have to hold back telling her to run for her life......maybe this Thanksgiving I'll just do it.

Honestly, as long as it's not uber-fundy, I really don't care how people raise their kids. As long as the parent is not a living double of Osama bin Laden, Mel Gibson, Madelyn Murray O'Hair, or some other character with a history of oppressing their kid's minds and freedom.

My sister doesn't have kids.. but my best friend does have two children who I am the godmother/auntie to... and is raising them in religion.... they are wee still two and half and six months so she is totally brainwashing religion into them and it is kind of hard to see since I started deconverting. She wants to home school them too when they are older because she doesn't trust the school system and other people with her kids...not even christian school for her kids.

The other night, her daughter requested that I sing "Jesus loves me" to her... um that was a little weird doing I kind of squeeked out the words and kissed her good night and wished her sweet dreams.

But yes it is totally frustrating standing by and watching this take place, and hearing her tell her daughter that God and Jesus never sleep they are always in heaven if we need them...and God put the moon in the sky...and ya daa yadda blah blah...

Now I do have two cousins, on the other side of the family, that one particular aunt is raising is rather disturbing Christian gusto. They only recently started attending public school, because while my aunt couldn't afford to send them to a private Christian school, she wanted them to have a "Christian education" and so home-schooled them herself. I'm talking, creationism, plagues, the whole nine yards. However the education wasn't turning out well (shocker!!), so she reluctantly started sending them to public school. I honestly do wonder if her kids were flabbergasted to learn about evolution and biology and what-not. Pretty much everything, really; she taught them all religion, but really for no apparent religious reason - perhaps just laziness or ignorance on her part - just didn't bother teaching them too much of anything else.

The sad part about all this is that one of my cousins, is almost definitely gay. It's a case of, if he announces his marriage to a woman to the family, we'd be absolutely stunned. I feel really sorry for that kid, obviously.

Now I do have two cousins, on the other side of the family, that one particular aunt is raising is rather disturbing Christian gusto. They only recently started attending public school, because while my aunt couldn't afford to send them to a private Christian school, she wanted them to have a "Christian education" and so home-schooled them herself. I'm talking, creationism, plagues, the whole nine yards. However the education wasn't turning out well (shocker!!), so she reluctantly started sending them to public school. I honestly do wonder if her kids were flabbergasted to learn about evolution and biology and what-not. Pretty much everything, really; she taught them all religion, but really for no apparent religious reason - perhaps just laziness or ignorance on her part - just didn't bother teaching them too much of anything else.

The sad part about all this is that one of my cousins, is almost definitely gay. It's a case of, if he announces his marriage to a woman to the family, we'd be absolutely stunned. I feel really sorry for that kid, obviously.

i really wish they had higher standards for homeschooling. this one guy i know was homeschooled and he can hardly read. they basically just put him to work, rather than actually educating him (they're christian, too).

i was homeschool until 4th grade, and then stuck in a private christian school. i didn't learn the basics of evolution until i was about 20. it was one of those things that we all laughed at growing up, but never actually knew a damn thing about. i don't understand why people are allowed to do shit like this to kids. you wanna teach a kid about religion? fine, but teach him/her about ALL religions and leave it up to them.

My brother can be a nightmare. He's uber rich, uber attaractive, and uber fundy (Lutheran Missouri Synod). Even when I was fundy he was more strict with his 3 boys. Cutting off most TV shows, locking down the computer, censoring books, sending them to private schools. They are now all almost adults, ranging in age from 20, to 17. The oldest is legally blind and will be fully blind within the next 5 years. Jesus ain't gonna heal him. The middle son is gay, and the youngest at 17 has been in re-hab, for extasy and cocaine 3 times. I'd feel smug about it, but here recently we were talking and he got the saddest look in his eye, and said... "Your family is so close." Yeah I just feel bad, and really lucky I resisted the temptation, and pressure to micro manage my kids.

Both of my sisters are. My oldest sister, who has three youngins, says she is going to home school, although the main reason seems to be public schools suck. Aside from that, she seems to be raising her kids like we were raised- conservative without most of the hatred (love the sinner, hate the sin type thing). My other sister will probably be on the same line as well, without the homeschooling. At least I hope she doesn't try to home school. It really isn't that bad, and with me as their uncle they might have a chance :pureevil:

The one thing you can do is give them presents that appear innocuous but are a bit subversive. Good books on dinosaurs, cosmology, anything with a good science content may put the kid on the right track.

And if you're challenged, it's easy to claim ignorance and be disappointed.

Hmm, that's a good idea. My nephew is into bugs like I was, and I'll bet he will go through a dinosaur phase as well, and it would practically be expected that I would give him those kinds of books.