Goodbye Jesus

Do Holidays Have To Be Religious?

willybilly30

Why can't Christmas be making the house look all wintery, pretty and giving each other presents?

Why can't thanksgiving just be a big meal with the family,if you want to thank someone thank the people who made the meal, and send an email to the food companys telling them how you like their product.

We don't stick a god, and some myth into our birthday party do we?

So, why do our holidays need it?

If the family just got together ate a big dinner, and gave each other presents, and Didn't once pray, sing carols or mention jesus, Would it really matter?

I could do without jesus, santa, the easter bunny, and what ever else is on holidays.

It's a little too late to mention easter :lmao: ,but I bet kids would like the easter egg games, and chocolate bunny without jesus.

Do you think they really care lol It's all eggs, and chocolate! Cadburry! creme eggs! reese eggs!

It's all fun, candy, and games to them I bet.

Fun and games is all holidays should be in my opinion.

Why can't Christmas be making the house look all wintery, pretty and giving each other presents?

That's exactly what it is for us. No mention of jesus or christianity or anything related to those. christmas is a time to have fun together and give/receive presents.

I agree Willy. I just have to refrain to saying "what makes you so special?" when the rest of the family gives thanks to God at Thanksgiving for all the food they are about to receive. I wonder how many little kids will die from hunger while they pray those 5 seconds???

Anyway...I do like to get together with the fam on the holidays.

It's always been about the trees and the snow. It's always been about the fertility of the rabbit. It's always been about lunar cycles. That's why the Chruch decided to sell Jesus on top of it. They tried to fight it but couldn't, so they pasted Christianity on top of it to make it look like it was their idea. But people aren't fooled, they're still all heathens, but the Church can accept it if it's got a cross on it, and that keeps them quite!

Keep the Christians quite this Christmas. Put a Crucifix in your holy evergreen as you celbrate the birth of the baby Tamuz!! :wicked:

Most of the holidays originated as Pagan holidays anyway. I say, do whatever you want to.

As has been said, the holidays were originally Pagan in origin, and weren't solely about the local gods. They were as much about family, fun, and food - all the stuff Xians like to make us think they instituted Xmas as.

Bear in mind this Pagan origin and celebrate the holidays as you see fit, for that's how we always did it, with the exception of that brief historical aberration known as Xianity :)

I remeber when I started studying paganism, and Being in a coven, That the holidays are exactly like the christian ones exept diffrent gods and rituals. Christians are always stealing peoples ideas, and sticking jesus in it. I miss the pagan gatherings on the holidays they were more beutiful, and friendly than the christian ones ever are.

I agree Willy. I just have to refrain to saying "what makes you so special?" when the rest of the family gives thanks to God at Thanksgiving for all the food they are about to receive. I wonder how many little kids will die from hunger while they pray those 5 seconds???

Anyway...I do like to get together with the fam on the holidays.

I hate the Thanksgiving prayer it makes no sense to me. Farmers and factories work making our food,and they get no credit.

If God made the food why don't it just magically appear, and There's people dieing in hunger magical sky daddy could be making food for.

I could put up with this nonsense if my family didn't pray for the lost during it.

I'm lost and don't wanna be found :lmao: It's all bullshit anyway.

Fun and games is all holidays should be in my opinion.

Over here, this is what holidays are! :crazy:

Well, in varying degrees I admit, depending on what holiday you look at. And almost all German parents use the Yuletide xmas church service to get their kids out of the house (accompanied by the one parent while the other places the presents under the tree)... giving rise to the sometimes-used mockery about "U-boat christians" (after their confirmation in the bullshit they crash-dive almost permanently, surfacing only at xmas et al until they reach very old age and realize that they will soon have a personal appointment with a black-robed scythe-wielding skeleton :fdevil: )

I could put up with this nonsense if my family didn't pray for the lost during it.

I'm lost and don't wanna be found :lmao: It's all bullshit anyway.

Oh that's gross. If anything I find most annoying about Christians is this arrogrant presumption on their part that others don't have any valid answers for themselves, because they aren't what they happen to have grown up with!

Everyone has their "truth", but only the small-minded think theirs is the light for all everywhere - the one size fits all fallacy, "I'll pray for you..." bulshit. I have gotten less and less tolerant of that smug attitude the older I get. Do I say, "I'll be hoping you that you see the light of Existentialism and be 'saved' from your misguided beliefs, walking around as you are in your darkness?" Imagine me saying that to them!?!? Yet this is exactly what they are saying when they "pray for the 'lost'".

A prayer like that kind of ruins the meal, doesn't it? :repuke:

Why can't thanksgiving just be a big meal with the family,if you want to thank someone thank the people who made the meal, and send an email to the food companys telling them how you like their product.

This is what holidays were always about while I was growing up. My family was agnostic, so religon never factored into anything. The holidays were about throwing a party for ourselves. Eat a lot of food, get a lot of booty, and glory in the fact we didn't have to go to school or work.

That's still what it's about for me. I'm gonna go have a great time and thank my friend's parents for having me over and feeding me turkey on Thursday. :yum: