Christmas Music

Megara

I hate christmas period...

Me too. I did even when I was religious. It reminds me of my abusive father, who makes a point of screaming at my mom every X-Mas eve, and who "cancelled" Christmas when I was only eight years old. :( The hateful music sometimes takes me back to these occasions in my mind. So I avoid it whenver possible.

Personally, I like some renditions of some songs. In general it's just okay, just "meh" to me. But some is friggin annoying, especially certain horrible renditions...

But oh man I've loooved "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" and "O Holy Night" for almost my whole life! The songs, that is, not necessarily most actual renditions of them -- last year I heard a rendition (butchering) of the latter song by N'Sync or some band like that, and OH GAAWWUUD IT WAS PAINFUL!

Oh man, I love "O Come, O Come Emmanuel"! But I can't seem to find a really good non-pop vocal version. Anyone got an mp3 of it with a Gregorian choir or something? :HappyCry:

Oh, and I keep hearing Jessica Simpson's rendition of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" over the loudspeakers at work. Her constipated-sounding nasally voice makes me want to cut my ears of a la Vincent Van Gogh. :ugh:

That being said, I'm ok with most Christmas-themed pop songs (and yes, that includes the George Michael song you despise, Sage).

I have to be honest and say I love all the cheesy Christmas music, even all the baby Jesus stuff.

Oh, and I keep hearing Jessica Simpson's rendition of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" over the loudspeakers at work. Her constipated-sounding nasally voice makes me want to cut my ears of a la Vincent Van Gogh. :ugh:

Yeow, reminds me of the year I got stuck listening to Celine Dion's christmas albumn every single day for an entire month and there was nothing I could do about it because allll the women I worked with thought she was the greatest singer who ever lived. When I tried to introduce OTHER Christmas music or asked if we could change it, they all looked at me like I was the anti-christ. I had a severe eyeball twitch by the end of the day having to listen to it and a bad attitude, and eventually I started making up my own disgusting lyrics to sing along with it until they all started complaining about me and finally the supervisor shut it off. :HaHa:

Celine Dion should be shot for trying to sing Felice Navidad in that sickening, oozy, treacally voice of hers. She sounded like she drank way too much eggnog and ruined one of my favorite Christmas songs from when I was a kid. :ugh:

• 3 weeks later...

I thought i really couldn't cope. UNTIL i went along last Saturday to listen to my 13 year old's (non-church) choir sing carols.

not the scmaltzy kind but hte serious stuff - yes "Carol of the Bells" was there. "The First Noel" was set to the music of the Pachelbel Canon. They also did some choruses from Handels Messiah including the Hallelujah Chorus and Benjamin Britten's "Ceremony of Carols".

Guess what? I enjoyed myself! So did my husband, even though neither of us expected it.

As for Jingle Bells etc???? Not on your nelly!!

I like "Little Drummer Boy." I think it's kinda twisted.

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum

A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum

Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum

To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,

When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum

I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum

I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum

That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,