Goodbye Jesus

Christians Talking About Thanksgiving

WakingUp

I recently read my friend's response to the question, "What are you thankful for?"

"For God's love and mercy and grace and faithfulness. I am just full of thanks for Him and His expression of love in Christ and that He is faithful even when I'm not."

I used to say things like that and felt comforted by those words. It's hitting me this Thanksgiving, and probably will at Christmas too, that I can't say those words anymore because I don't know if they are true. I wish they were true. Even in the midst of deconverting from fundamentalist Christianity, I want to believe there is something...be it universal love or energy or a supreme being that is faithful. Since this is my first Thanksgiving and Christmas, I find myself floundering a bit.

Anyone else struggling in this way? Any advice on how to get through the holidays in good spirits?

Thanks,

WakingUp

I want to believe there is something...be it universal love or energy or a supreme being that is faithful.
If you really want to experience the "love" of said being/energy, strip yourself naked and throw yourself into the middle of a jungle or forest for a few months/years. You'll find that His "love" abounds... :mellow:

:HaHa:

Since this is my first Thanksgiving and Christmas, I find myself floundering a bit.

Anyone else struggling in this way? Any advice on how to get through the holidays in good spirits?

Thanks,

WakingUp

Nothing to flounder about... Most all of us felt what you're feeling now, too. If you want something to be thankful for, go look in the mirror and watch yourself breath. :Hmm:

And christmas time, at it's foundational core, is just a holiday that surrounds the celebration of the return of the Sun. (I think) The Winter days start getting longer, and Spring (new life) is right around the corner. What's there not to be happy about? :shrug:

You'll get through this. And each year afterwards will get easier. I promise. :woohoo:

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. For those of us who "truley" felt godly presence, it's almost kind of like a grieving ritual we go through. We think about it and those warm feelings aren't there anymore.

But we've still got the grace of humanity, which has done more than a mythical (or uninterested) god ever has for us. Try to look for the good things in your life and appreciate what you've got. Like being with your loved ones, remembering how great it is to be able to sit down to a big meal, and look for stories of mankind helping each other out or doing the same for yourself by giving to canned food or clothing drives for the homeless. It helps bring the warm feelings back, and those ones are very real.

It's easy to dwell on all the bad and ignore the good, but once you start forcing yourself to dwell on the good, you start seeing it a lot more.

I try to feel the planet around me, the humanity brush up beside me.

The breeze lifts off the ocean, comes across the city as mist. Moves the eucapyptus trees in foggy motion, waiting for the fog horn to sound across the bay.

Embracing a loved back from a voyage. Feeling the reality of his presence.

Surrounding myself w/ friends over candlelight - laughing at their sarcasm and mildly tipsy bad jokes.

Knowing that all that is real, not imaginary, and is here with me right now.