Goodbye Jesus

Why do Atheists care about Religion?

webmdave

• Admin

Description for this video by the author:

Atheists are often asked, "If you don't believe in God, why do you care about religion?" This is one atheist's answer to that very question.

Note... I was recently informed that the quote attributed to former President George Bush, Sr. is in question. He allegedly made the comment when he was Vice-President and campaigning for the Presidency. The statement was heard by one journalist without other verification. I have been informed that the details given by the journalist may have changed over time. I am dedicated to the truth and would not wish to pass on falsehoods.

Along these same lines, I was recently informed by someone that Maryland's statue was changed a long time ago. Atheists are no longer forbidden to hold public office there. However, a different individual told me that the statute is still in effect and that there are other passages in Maryland's laws that adversely affect atheists. Until I have concrete information regarding these things, please take them with a degree of skepticism.

Thank you.

The main music in the video is "Funky Like Humans" by Odd One Out. Song used with permission. The intro music was created by Imrational.

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2006/11...t-religion.html

Atheists should not have to care about religion.

We should be able to safely ignore them,

Leave them to their silly superstitions,

Etc etc.

but religion makes this impossible,

Especialy fundamentalist religion.

And especialy christian fundamentalism.

The fundies (christian) are dangerous.

They threaten the safety of every non christian around them.

Our safety depends on placing limmits on the christian ability to harm us.

:thanks: Excellent!! Thanks for posting this Bruce!

Why do alcoholics care about booze?

:)

Good vid. Who is Imrational?

Guest Lady Heather

For some of us religion is a part of our past, our childhood, our pain. We study this stuff to get beyond it for ourselves, and to help others to get out of it. To try and change the world--

Also, you can't talk about something you don't know about.

knowledge about religion makes for a better argument during discourse.

Because you don't have to look far to see how it effects public policy, which is something everyone should care about. If it was kept in the private sector I wouldn't give a shit.

It affects me, because it is ignorance that cannot be ignored. It's everywhere. Also, there's great prejudice that comes with religion (once again, especially Christianity). If you don't believe in "God," you're frowned upon in a lot of cases. It's not that I "care" about religion, it's that it's an issue that continues to torture me inevitably, which makes me keep alert of such a heinous thing.

It isn't so much all religions as it is christianity.

I have never heard of a Rabbi molesting children nor have I had anyone of the Jewish faith trying to foster their beliefs on me although I wouldn't be surprised that it has happened. However, those of the Christian faith tend to be much more out there trying to make the rest of us adhere to their choice of beliefs. When you add in the hypocrisy it makes it much harder for me to tolerate.

I follow the Golden Rule. It is the central tenet of my life, and the source from which my morality flows. I do not need gods nor invisible fairytale enforcers to set me aright; the Golden Rule says it all. And I think it works both ways. I think there comes a point when we have to examine the philosophy of what another person believes when they demand respect from us, and do not treat us in kind. I've vented on my views concerning the concept of "respect" among many Christians, and that is why I care about religion. I care about religion because it defines reality for many people, and the definition of that reality may not include treating me as a human being.

That reality is, of course, defined uniquely by each and every single individual stealing from the fundamentalist framework of christianity. A great irony, that, that Christians are allowed to interpret a rigid set of beliefs to their own way and then call their interpretation the One true . anyway, that interpretation might only mean that the Christian In Question (CIQ) only wants to deny me my most basic human rights, such as the right to the pursuit of happiness and the right to being left alone. For others, it could mean that I am a target, human credit for the toll at the gates of Heaven.

Quite frankly, I enjoy my basic human rights AND my life. I care about religion because religion sets a standard for reality that, in many cases, has no room for my existence.

Fuck . . . that.

Put the simplest way I can think of:

Atheists care about religion because religions care about atheists.

Put the simplest way I can think of:

Atheists care about religion because religions care about atheists.

Well said, Woody.

I didn't used to think it any big deal that I was an atheist. I didn't advertise it, didn't talk about it, didn't think it was anyone's business but my own. I had long-abandoned prayer and bible study. Over the past 20 years, however, I've become concerned over the efforts of the "christian right" to hijack government, flout the separation of church and state, impose "christian" principles on the rule of law, rewrite history to state America was founded as a "christian" nation by "christian framers", shoehorning pseudoscience like ID into public schools...

I came to see this wave of fundamentalist-evangelical activism to be dangerous to this country, and like H.L. Mencken said, such superstition should not be tolerated but exposed for the malevolence it is, and portrayed as nothing short of ridiculous. To do that, you've got to know your enemy.

Is it true what that guy said in the video that there are states where an atheist cannot hold government office of appeal in a court of law? That seems outrageous. I don't know what Canada says on those things. I wouldn't even know where to find the constitution or whatever it's called.

I am not ready to call myself an atheist, but I do agree with what people have said so far. If religion would leave us alone then we wouldn't worry so much about it. Or if religion would stop trying to tell us what to do, we wouldn't bother with it. But it is true that religion especially xtianity just won't give up. And are constantly quoting or misquoting bible verses, justifying why bad things happen to people...Oy oy.... :nono:

Wow wouldn't that be religious discrimination if an atheist could not hold office? :eek:

RubySera, I may be wrong but I think that here in Canada religion and god is less mentioned in government and laws... I could be mistaken however. I do think that religion is viled here more in with the queen and the commonwealth. I am getting really curious though now, and I think I might have to do some goggling and reserearch. Maybe there are some other Canadians here who have more knowledge on the subject. :Hmm:

It might vary on the provincal and federal levels as well. I know that political climate defenitly varies from provience to provience and coast to coast too. I am in a westcoast girl in BC where, we are definiltly more left winged than say the east where they seem to be more conservative.