Goodbye Jesus

Favorite Christian Songs!

white_raven23

When I deconverted I was so pissed at xianity and all the being separated I had done for so many years that I gave away about 50 xian Cds and videos. I loved xian music and was at quite a few concerts even. The best concert I ever went to was the Newsboys Adoration concert. I had that Cd as well as the Shine one with all their greatest hits. Course they have that Breakfast in Hell song that is highly offensive, but I thought it was funny as a xian.

I used to try to live my faith and the songs that inspired me were like this one:

Shine

dull as dirt

you can´t assert the kind of light

that might persuade

a strict dictator to retire

fire the army

teach the poor origami

the truth is in

the proof is when

you hear your heart start asking,

"What´s my motivation?"

and try as you may, there isn´t a way

to explain the kind of change

that would make an Eskimo renounce fur

that would make a vegetarian barbecue hamster

unless you can trace this about-face

to a certain sign...

Chorus

shine

make ´em wonder what you´ve got

make ´em wish that they were not

on the outside looking bored

shine

let it shine before all men

let´em see good works, and then

let ´em glorify the Lord

out of the shaker and onto the plate

it isn´t Karma

it sure ain´t fate

that would make a Deadhead sell his van

that would make a schizophrenic turn in his crayons

Oprah freaks

and science seeks a rationale

that shall excuse

this strange behavior

when you let it shine

you will inspire

the kind of entire turnaround

that would make a bouncer take ballet

(even bouncers who aren´t happy)

but out of the glare

with nowhere to turn

you ain´t gonna learn it on "What´s My Line?"

Trouble was I really did want to know God better and lost my faith in the process because he doesn't exist. Putting God to the test, trying to be a good Christian is what led me away. Which is why I get so pissed when people say I never was a "True Christian" before.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pandora

• white_raven23

• Ouroboros

• imageownershipproblem

I absolutely agree about Adam Again, I got to see them live at Cornerstone 89 and it was fantastic, even though it was before they had truly hit their stride - theirs are some of the few 'Christian' CD's I will never give up. Interesting trivia about Gene Eugene (Gene Andrusco): on the original TV seires 'Bewitched' Gene played Tabitha's little brother (Adam?) and he also supplied a voice as one of the children on the cartoon 'The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan.'

'...I didn't mean to end it...'

bdp

Guest JP1283

I used to like Creed, but now when I hear a Creed song I cringe. I hate Scott Stapp. Especially now that he's confirmed that he's Born Again.

Guest JP1283

Yeah, I read an interview the other day where he said that he has gone back to God since breaking up with Creed.

As a former worship leader in my church my head is pretty much chock-full of christian songs.

My all-time favourite was this one:

"Amazing love, how can it be

That Thou my God shouldst die for me?"

It still pulls at my heartstrings when I think about it, even though I know it's about a made-up event and refers to a non-existent being.

To take away the sting I think I'll change it to:

That Thou, Narasimhavataram shouldst die for me?"

Another one by Steve Curtis Chapman (I once sang this at my brother-in-law's wedding and said from the front of the church that it was written by "Mark David Chapman"... how embarrassing)

Remember your chains

Remember the prison that one help you

Before the love of God broke through

Remember the place you were without grace

When you see where you are now

Remember your chains

And remember your chains are gone

How ironic that only now do I consider myself truly free from the chains of brainwashing and deceit.

I don't know about shuddering but, "I'll Fly Away" makes me giggle. Back when I was a Christian I used to like the song "The Battle Hymm of the Republic" now I don't anymore.

I don't know about shuddering but, "I'll Fly Away" makes me giggle. Back when I was a Christian I used to like the song "The Battle Hymm of the Republic" now I don't anymore.

I used to like the Battle Hymm remake by Stryper. Now that was a talented band :ugh:

• 3 weeks later...
They sang this one all the time at the UCC church I went to.  The melody stuck in your head for hours.

I used to love Michael W. Smith's version but now I just don't care about it. :shrug:

I used to love Breakfast in Hell by the Newsboys. I was always amused by the fact that I don't eat breakfast anyway.

When the toast is burned

And all the milk has turned

And Captain Crunch is waving farewell

When the big one finds you

May this song remind you

That they don't serve breakfast in hell

Me too.  All of my CD's went to the trashcan, must have been over $100 or so in mine but almost $500-600 when I guilted my husband into throwing his away to.  He was into much more heavier music than I was.  He LOVES the Chili Peppers.  I like em' too.

Between that money now gone and the thousands in tithes, I figure the "church" owes me over $10K or more, plus emotional trauma, of course.

I'm doing pretty good selling off my Xtian CD's on eBay, one went for $122 and overall I'm averaging about $21 per disc.

The other day when I was reading Hans' thread about making the woman cry and YoYo was posting his tactless crap I had a CD by the violet burning playing, and the lyrics went '...cry out to Me, and I will run to thee, when the night falls down on you.' What a crock...

Also thought the other day about the song 'How Can You Say No,' part of which says 'Jesus is here with His arms open wide/You could see Him with your heart if you'd stop looking with your eyes...' Beautiful, just willingly blind yourself to logic and reason, and your senses, and things will be fine. :Wendywhatever:

bdp

after being introducted to a band called rasputina...a "goth rock" band...with lots of haunting cello music...I started looking everywhere for strings that weren't "classical" I discovered the "string quartet tribute" series of CDs.

I went to their concert in San Diego recently. Well more like I got dragged cuz I'm the Mommy and I can drive. They totally won me over when they were all, okay time for some classical music, and played Barracuda by Heart. Plus, this was a very small venue, and after the show the band was very sweet to the kids, taking pictures and signing things, and hey I'm all for corsets, and antique underwear ANYDAY!

• 8 months later...
Guest uu_sage

All the songs from my childhood in the Conservative Baptist Church of America (CBA) and the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) were simply terrible and couldn't stomatch them even when I was a believer. Now as a Unitarian Universalist, I find there are still a lot of songs that are beautiful and just couldn't resist:

*I'll Fly Away

*There is more love out there

*Study War No More (Down by the riverside)

*Will the Circle be Unbroken?

*We'll Build a Land

*Follow the Drinking Gourd

*This Little light of Mine

*We're Gonna Sit at the Welcome Table

*Tis a Gift to Be Simple

*Enter, Rejoice and Come In

*We'll Build a Land

*For All that is our life

*Bring Many Names

*We Shall Overcome

*Spirit of Life/Fuente de Amor

How 'bout this timely classic? :woohoo:

He Screamed Like a Bitch When They Drove the Nails -_-

Not exactly a popular tune, but it definitely gets the believer's attention on those early Sunday mornings! ^_^

My friend and I were lauging wicked hard about one just last night.

It's the one that goes.

"his fire goes before him, and burns up all his enemies, and the hills melt like wax in the presence of the lord" "Let the earth rejoice, let the earth rejoice" -About What?

We were crapping our pants laughing, it's such an upbeat song you know? The sheep are all phyced doing some foolish little dance clapping while signging it (didn't that always make you laugh? the little hip moves and dance steps while signing upbeat songs about the complete and utter destruction of the planet earth and most of it inhabitants?)

One that makes me roll my eyes is from Sunday School.

"He's still workin' on me

to make me what I ought to be

It took Him just a week

to make the moon and the stars

the sun and the earth

and Jupiter and Mars

How loving and patient He must be

For He's still workin' on me."

Urgh.

Also I am mildly irritated by youth worship songs.

Can't think of any lyrics right now.

One that makes me roll my eyes is from Sunday School.

"He's still workin' on me

to make me what I ought to be

It took Him just a week

to make the moon and the stars

the sun and the earth

and Jupiter and Mars

How loving and patient He must be

For He's still workin' on me."

Urgh.

Also I am mildly irritated by youth worship songs.

Can't think of any lyrics right now.

Yeah Great.

One week to make all the shit we still can't figure out.........but me? I'm still unfinished and all fucked up. But hey...it's okay, he's loving and patient....damn I'm lucky.

:twitch:

What a wonderful affirmation of the self-esteem of the singer!

NOT!

Oh my, I actually still really like the Newsboys ): haha, is that bad? I think they're catchy and fun. I just don't pay much attention to the 'meaning' of the lyrics when I sing along. (and I STILL have the entirety of "Take me to your leader" memorized .. Newsboys concerts were SO fun)

One of my favorite things about being Christian was the music (not worship though, the 'pop rock' bands). This is sad. Never having studied the bible very much, I always saw Jesus as this cool guy who wanted to be everyones friend and wanted to throw a big awesome party for us all for eternity. Unfortunately that wasn't the truth of the matter. (Although as far as I'm concerned now if God is real he IS a cool guy)

Five Iron Frenzy is still one of my favorite bands. I love the songs "World Without End" and "Dandelions", but one of the great things about music, like art, is that it's subjective, and it means different things to different people. "The god of everything that is" belongs to everyone. I don't see a lot of Christian music in a strictly religious context anymore. To me it's about something much bigger and better now. I feel that way about Jars of Clay and Switchfoot songs, too.

In the soundless awe and wonder,

words fall short to hope again.

How beautiful,

how vast Your love is,

new forever,

world without an end.

The very spark that burns the stars,

drew near to me today,

the God of everything that is,

whispered in my ear that His love is boundless.

How anyone could ever believe these songs are about a God who sends the majority of his children to hell is beyond me. I never really could.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

The lamest of the lame has to be...

"Our God is an awesome God

He reigns from heaven above

With wisdom power and love

Our God is an awesome God"

Imagine a chorus of lillywhite evangelicals singing this all rosy cheeked and ferret eyed and you will know the meaning of blechhhh!

That Thou my God shouldst die for me?"

Ahh yes. That old hymn brings back memories of KYC/Kycstart conventions. All the tears I wasted...

My church singing experience started with Graham Kendrick songs like:

"Rejoice rejoice christ is in you...."

"This (clap, clap) this is the day, that the lord has maaaaaaaaaaaaaaade..."

Oohhh how exciting. And, of course, his classic: "Amazing love oh what sacrifice..."

But then those hyper-emotional Hillsongs began to infiltrate our church's song list. But the only one I can remember was the crowd favourite, "Shout to the Lord."

In terms of personal music collections, my favourite Xn album has to be Jesus Freak by DC Talk. I still listen to it once every year or so. Musically, I think it's up their with any other pop/rock album, but I now find the lyrics to be both depressing and oppressive.

Keith Green was also a favourite. Anyone who claims to be a christian should listen carefully to his lyrics and learn something useful for a change.

Guest Tiffany

Ozzy Ozborne: I used to be a huge Ozzy fan. I went to his New Year's Eve show and bought a bunch of Ozzy crosses and shirts, great show.

Now I can't stand any of his music. Even the few songs that don't talk about his God still have Jesus taint on them. Take "Devils Daughter" ... if you listen really close you can almost make out the subliminal messages telling you to go kill some fags and to burn your science books.

:banghead: WHY OZZY WHY!?!?

Imagine a chorus of lillywhite evangelicals singing this all rosy cheeked and ferret eyed and you will know the meaning of blechhhh!

I liked the song when I was a christian... until I went to a pentacostal church one sunday and had to endure a bunch of weirdo singing it over and OVER for 15 friggin minutes waving arms and wailing, some throwing themselves to the ground and others acting like they were flying. :twitch: It really creeped me out *shivers*

I liked the song when I was a christian... until I went to a pentacostal church one sunday and had to endure a bunch of weirdo singing it over and OVER for 15 friggin minutes waving arms and wailing, some throwing themselves to the ground and others acting like they were flying. :twitch: It really creeped me out *shivers*

I love the rest of the lyrics to that song.

Oh, when He rolls up His sleeves

He ain't just puttin' on the Ritz,

Our God is an awesome God.

There's thunder in His footsteps

And lightning in His fists. (Yes....a loving description...God preppin' to beat the shit out of someone)

And the Lord, He wasn't jokin'

When He kicked 'em out of Eden,

It wasn't for no reason that He shed His blood, (yup! Sacrificial punishment to appease himself for shit he started....great reason)

His return is very close

And so you better be believin' that our

God is an awesome God.

Our God is an awesome God,

He reigns from Heaven above,

With wisdom, pow'r and love,

And when the sky was starless

In the void of the night,

He spoke into the darkness and created the light.

Our God is an awesome God. (Yay! Creation! Woohoo!)

The judgment and wrath He poured out on Sodom, (Yay! Destruction! Woohoo!)

The mercy and grace He gave us at the cross, (Yay! Accept it or Else! Woohoo!)

I hope that we have not too quickly forgotten that our

God is an awesome God. (Cuz' he'll damn your ass if you do)

Yup! Wisdom, Power , and Love! Fear me or I'll kick your ass, I created everything...you just live on it, accept me or burn!

Lot's of lowest-rung on the ladder type Power there.

Wisdom?....Err.....

And Love! Selfish petulant all or nothing! Yup! That's sure love alright!

Yeah, Warcry for the Northerners in the War of Yankee Agression is just creepy indeed...

"If God be for us, who can be against us?

sheeze...

n

Makes me wanna unfurl a confederate flag, sing Dixie at the top of my lungs and go kick a Yankee's ass!

some days any way.....

Keith Green was also a favourite. Anyone who claims to be a christian should listen carefully to his lyrics and learn something useful for a change.

Keith was hard-core. I had all of his music and most of his song books. I subscribed to his newsletter. I visited his 'compound' in east Texas, and when I heard of a plane crash one day near Lindale I knew he was dead. I visited his grave site when the flowers were still there, including one from Mike Warnke. I visited again years later only to interrupt his widow, as it happened to be the anniversary of his death.

This is the first song I ever heard from him, and it still brings back fond memories:

To obey is better than sacrifice,

I don't need your money, I want your life.

And I hear you say that I'm coming back soon,

But you act like I'll never return.

Well you speak of grace and my love so sweet,

How you thrive on milk, but reject my meat,

And I can't help weeping of how it will be,

If you keep on ignoring my words.

Well you pray to prosper and succeed,

But your flesh is something I just can't feed.

To obey is better than sacrifice.

I want more than Sunday and Wednesday nights,

Cause if you can't come to me every day,

Then don't bother coming at all.

Lah, lah,lah….

To obey is better than sacrifice.

I want hearts of fire, not your prayers of ice.

And I'm coming quickly, to give back to you,

According to what you have done,

According to what you have done,

According to what you have done.

after being introducted to a band called rasputina...a "goth rock" band...with lots of haunting cello music...I started looking everywhere for strings that weren't "classical" I discovered the "string quartet tribute" series of CDs.

HEY! I was a parent dragged to concert when they played in SanDiego. Mean version of baracuda on cello.