Goodbye Jesus

Favorite Christian Songs!

white_raven23

Even when I was a Christian I hated Christian music. Of course I tried to force myself to like it...

I got into Gospel music for a minute. But I hated it because every lyric was a damn catchphrase...

"I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me!" and all that jazz.

I remember when Kirk Franklin came out with a gospel rap song and I was too through. I listen to it in hindsight and it is so ridiculously stupid that you have to be programmed to like it.

And I hated Christian rock most of all...The band members were such morons. I went to a Christian rock concert with a friend, and the attendees were such dweebs! They were all testifying about how they were groupies for Jesus and etc al...

I am so glad I am totally into secular music.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pandora

• white_raven23

• Ouroboros

• imageownershipproblem

I'm really trying to stay out of this post because I don't want any ridiculous songs stuck in my head, so I don't know if this has even been posted, but anything by that mofo Carman is just plain hideous...

Oh wait, the title is favorite Christian songs... In that case... *ducks out of thread*

Yup! Wisdom, Power , and Love! Fear me or I'll kick your ass, I created everything...you just live on it, accept me or burn!

Lot's of lowest-rung on the ladder type Power there.

Wisdom?....Err.....

And Love! Selfish petulant all or nothing! Yup! That's sure love alright!

Can't you feel the love? It burns deep inside... deep in the pits of Hell where gawd will send you if don't kiss his ass! :nono:

...but anything by that mofo Carman is just plain hideous...

I still remember going to the roller rink with my youth group in the early '90s on Christian night or whatever and hearing this one song by Carman.

"Tell me who, Who, WHO, WHO, WHO

Tell me who's in the HOUSE!

J.C.!!

J.C.!!

J.C.!!

Jesus Christ is in the house todaaaaayyy!!"

That song is embarrasing for me to even type now....

Guest Iconoclastithon

i used to listen to lots of christian metal (sounds odd doesn't it?) Extol was a great band, as was Crimson Thorn.. i love "Undeceived" and "Time Stands Still" by Extol.

Me too.

Crimson Thorn, Slechtvalk,Extol, Sorrowstorm, Frost Like Ashes, Betrayal, Ultimatum,Tourniquet, Seventh Angel, Deliverance, Believer, Kekal, Armageddon Holocaust, Horde, Encryptor, Paramaecium, Corpse, Crimson Moonlight, Antestor, Vomitorial Corpulence{think early "Carcass" meets "Mortician" for Christ},Mortification,Living Sacrifice,Inversion, Goredeath,Metanoia,Sacrament,

I was especially into Christian death and black metal-you name the band= I had it.

I especially liked the anti-satan and christian gore songs

As I myself was into writing such lyrics{think "Marduk" for Christ, or my fave were the songs I wrote intentionally and quite well I might add that were essentially "Cannibal Corpse" for Christ}I was also{am also} a vocalist. I still write a bit, and can do vox for any metal genre.

Now when i think of this stuff it makes me cringe. They were so cool and extreme for Christianity, some were actually damn good musically and even creative and brutal lyrically, but the message disgusts me now, and becaus eit was "death/black/thrash" it was alot of hellfire and brimstone crap and fear of demons crap{or "conquering of demons"}-because of it's nature.

grrr!!! Jesus Grind Satans head, his head is dead"-Mortification, Hahahahahaaaa!!!

In Reason:

Icono

Even when I was a Christian I hated Christian music. Of course I tried to force myself to like it...

I got into Gospel music for a minute. But I hated it because every lyric was a damn catchphrase...

I'm with you, LMR. God, what awful music - it was all propaganda set to guitars. I tried to force myself to like it, but I couldn't. It was horrible, just horrible. After the Ramones, how could you settle for some candyass band like Stryper? :repuke:

And the simplistic hymns - I hated them. So stupid... :ugh:

I switched to classical music for most of my duration as an inbred believer. It was better than Amy Grant.

Christ, I feel so dirty now... :( Forgive me, Joey Ramone!

One of the earliest Christian Rock songs I can remember was from the late 60's - a group from our local bible college took the Beatle's "Revolution" and reworked as "So you say you want a Revelation?"

I thought I would gag then, and I'm even more appalled now.

Two favorites...

Lead On, O Kinky Turtle

Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear

"Hail Jesus! You're my Lord!

I will obey Your word

Because I want to see

Your kingdom come

Not my will by Yours be done"

This song used to really rile us up for Sunday Morning praise and worship, but now the lyric makes me think of two quotes from the late Dr. Timothy Leary:

"Monotheism is the primitive religion which centers human consciousness on Hive Authority. There is One God and His Name is ------- (substitute Hive-Label). If there is only One God then there is no choice, no option, no selection of reality. There is only Submission or Heresy. The word Islam means 'submission'. The basic posture of Christianity is kneeling. Thy will be done."

and

"Each religion has got their own way of making you feel like a victim. The Christians say 'you are a sinner', and you better just zip up your trousers and give the money to the pope and we'll give you a room up in the hotel in the sky."

Guest Loner in the Batcave

Mine is "Beautiful name" by ZOEGirl-ironic, how I now do a lot of that.

Now, I cringe like I'm getting a tetanus shot! :Doh:

Mine is "Beautiful name" by ZOEGirl-ironic, how I now do a lot of that.

Now, I cringe like I'm getting a tetanus shot! :Doh:

It's the "I will run, I will hide" part that is symbolic

My favorite and it doesn't make me shudder. I still sing it even cause I like the tune. Maybe I should make new lyrics some day. I always especially liked the last verse.

I'll Fly Away

Oh, I like that one, too -- because it makes my brother's dog, a goofy 100+ lb yellow lab, dance and bark and wiggle with crazy delight whenever I sing it. (Of course, I get the same reaction to "Happy Birthday to You.")

Howsomever, the christian classic that I remember best is one that we were forced to sing in an evangelical methodist sunday school (or ss, as I like to abbreviate it):

"I'm going to heaven,

don't want to be late,

I'm going to heaven,

and I can't wait.

Cant' wait."

I always thought, that at that point, someone should have taken out an automatic weapon and dispatched all the little angels-to-be to their heavenly reward, no waiting necessary. But then, I guess I have a sick sense of humor :lmao:

Ahhh!!

"Kumbaya my Lord. "

WTF does Kumbayah actually mean? Does it mean you totally rock, or your the man? I sung that song so many times - I still don't get it.

oh... wait a minute. I've just answered my own question. Better make that a rhetorical question. It means Come by here....how lame arse is that!!

http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/kumbayah.htm

In fact so does the website.

Praise the _ _ _ _ _ (still waiting on logical proof for insertion)!!!

Now years of toture are over - that song really did suck big time.

:woohoo:

Them folks at "songsforteaching.com" ain't too swift. Yes, "kumbayah" means "come by here." It is an approximation of the Afrikaans (i.e., South African Dutch) pronounciation, as interpreted by the South African missionary who wrote it. It is not, and never was, an "African American" song as that website claims.

I saw a commercial last night for an album that was a collection of xian songs and it took me back more than 20 years. There were the Amy Grant songs, "Thy Word" and "El Shaddai (Age to Age)" and a song by MercyMe, I think, that had the phrase - "I can only imagine what that day will be like" - and the next thing I knew, I remembered back to when I tried to imagine that day. Whew!

One of the songs I loathe now, only because we sang it in every weekly chapel service at the xian school I went to, "Pass It On".

She comes home from church

She takes off her pants

That's what I like

About Amy Grant!

Young Fresh Fellows - Amy Grant

Well, I'm kind of fond still of "That Old Time Religion"

But mainly with the lyrics from "That Real Old Time Religion"

Oh we'll worship Aphrodite,

She will greet us in her nightie,

Though she seems a little flighty,

She's good enough for me.

Gimme that old time religion... :grin:

Speaking of Amy Grant. She attend the same college I did (I had met her, but didn't hang out or anything) before she transferred to Vanderbilt to be closer to recording studios, etc. We had a student talent show back when she was just making a name for herself. A friend of mine took the stage wearing tight leather pants and rockin' to a song called "Black Widow." This girl had a rather exotic look, and all the guys lusted after her. Sweet Amy took the stage next, and was nearly booed off of it.

25 years later I still see my friend who sang the Black Widow song on a regular basis, and we had a good laugh about that.

"THIS IS THE FEE-EEE-EEE-EEEAST OF VICTORY FOR OUR GOD! HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HA-AAALLELU-UUUJAH!"

It was just so happy and majestic sounding. Now I just kind of find it simple and stupid.

Oh, the possibilities! :sing:

I was the worship song leader for my youth group, before I deconverted, so I know basically every song that there ever was.

&Now for a few of my favourites: :jesus:

One of the first Christian songs that I ever heard, was Jesus is Still All Right, by DC Talk. I still kind of like the beat, it's really dancey, and it sort of reminds me of Disco.

Also, the remix with Toby Mac [oh, how I loved that guy] is pretty hilarious.

I think I had his whole rap memorized, at one point.

We also used to always, ALWAYS sing this one song in youth group that was incredibly high pitched and ridiculous to sing, as most of them are. I think it was called Cry of My Heart.

It is the cry of my heart

to follow you

it is the cry of my heart

to get close to you

it is the cry of my heart to follow

all of the days of my life,

oh, oh, whoah oh!

We had hand motions that went with Heart of Worship.

The teens performed that song for the elderly people, and they loved it.

We also performed Shine, originally by the Newsboys, with rainbow ribbons and everything.

-cringe-

Let's see, what else...

Holy, Holy, Holy

Lord, I Lift Your Name on High

Our God is an Awesome God

Sanctuary

Here I Am to Worship

Shout to the Lord

Above All

& most hymns are songs that I've never enjoyed.

I still enjoy some songs, though, even if I don't believe their messages.

Trading My Sorrows

Grace Like Rain

Prince of Peace

Come Home Running

Who Am I?

I Can Only Imagine

Forever

I can't listen to the songs that I still like, just because my whole self screams, NO NO NO GET AWAY!!! :eek:

heh, but if I happen to hear them in passing, it's not bad.

Jesus, Take the Wheel still makes me cry, just because it's such an emotionally overpowering song, and I'm sure many others would.

Other songs have always and will always make me laugh.

I recently gave all of my Christian CDs away, so I don't have a collection to look off of.

In closing, I'd like to post my all time favourite Cringe-Worthy Christian song, ever.

Ooh Ahh,

The Grits

its times like these that make me say

lord if you see me please come my way

leavin bread crumbs for when i stray

rely on sacrifice and the price you paid

feel me like a fingertip

sometimes i fall i slip

my heartfelt desire be more like you

trying not to quench your fire by the things that i do

on an island by my lonesome stranded

low key and stayin� candid

reflect on all the things i try my hand at

search for the equations to persuasions im used to

finding comfort in the zones of closet bones i get loose to

a mountainous fontaine

spinnin and monsoonin�

grinnin� its high octane

explosive how i came

rollin down hills cause lifes a hastle

encircled by my folly like a moat surround a castle

stay afloat catch a second wind

thin is the air i breathe

teary eyed nose runnin�

wipe the snot on my sleeve

im callin� on my savior

to be all that i need

please forgive me

my behavior had me lost at light speed

the fear of never falling in love

and the tears after losing the feelings

of what you thought love was

like the dirt still up under the rug

bad characteristics

covered in christs blood

the joy of new birth

and the pain of growing up

the bliss between giving my all

and giving up

the highs and lows

paths and roads i chose

in the cold i froze

trying to ease my woes

in this world of sin

clothes to thin to fend

so to God i send

words of help to win

in grumblings so deep

letters could never express

so the sound of ooh aah

beneath my breath projects

TO-BEEY MAH-AC!

My life be like ooh aah ooh

Come young diti

Here comes that boy from the capital city

Last up on the Grits new diti

But eight bars of the truth will do, eh

I beleive there's a bride thats stunning

And, I believe in the kingdom coming

I believe if you seek the truth,

You don't need to look far cuz it's gonna find you

(chorus)x2

My life be like x4

I hope you got a good laugh out of that, because I sure did. :HappyCry:

Oh and, I really loved El Shaddai. Probably my all time favourite Christian song.

Kirk Franklin and God’s Property’s song Stomp. I used to loooooove that song. :HaHa:

"I Can Only Imagine" makes me want to puke.

When I was younger, I used to enjoy singing "Dare to Run" with grandma, now I wonder why I ever liked that song...

I will say, though, that I would give anything to be able to sing "He is Exalted" with her again. I don't agree with the message but, god, she played the piano so beautifully that I could put it aside for those few minutes, just because I know it made her happy...

I was going to go to church, but I got high

Left the minister in the lurch, cause I got high

Now I'm gonna burn in Hell, and I know why

Because I got high

Because I got high

Because I got high

Can't say I have a favourite Christian song, but I have a favourite memory about one.

We've probably all heard the song...

Who built the ark?

Noah! Noah!

Who built the ark?

Noah built the ark.

Well my sister always thought they were singing...and she would sing...

Who built the ark?

No one, no one!

Who built the ark?

No one built the ark.

It used to make her mad, because she couldn't understand why there were singing about it. Now in retrospect, her lyrical interpretation is much more fitting.

:HaHa:

Here's one of mine....

"I've got my feet shod,

With the proclamation of peace.

I've got my sword of spirit,

got my shield of faith.

I've got my breastplate of righteousness,

my helmet of salvation.

I put on my armor,

and I'm ready for the battle."

Yikes...hadn't seen this one before. So what comes next, the Jockstrap of Chastity?

Saying 'favorite Christian Songs' is the same as saying ' favorite torture devices'