Goodbye Jesus

What If It's True?

webmdave

• Admin

whatiftrue-778151.jpg

A church banner from US-1 outside of Princeton, NJ

Sent in by a friend of ExChristian.Net

This church banner asks the question "What if it's true?" The apparent intent is to solicit church attendance from those who aren't sure whether or not they believe in the Christian mythology, just in case Christianity is actually true.

A recent Harris poll (Oct '06) found that of the 73% of Americans who believe in God, 16% aren't convinced there is a God.

Does it make sense to go through the motions of practicing a religion, simply because you aren't sure if it's true or not? Do Christians believe that simply practicing the rituals will keep them out of hell? Wouldn't their all-knowing God realize they were just pretending to believe?

What do you think?

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2006/11...f-its-true.html

....Does it make sense to go through the motions of practicing a religion, simply because you aren't sure if it's true or not? Do Christians believe that simply practicing the rituals will keep them out of hell? Wouldn't their all-knowing God realize they were just pretending to believe?

What do you think?

I think it's just a rephrasing of Pascal's Wager. The best answer to that is; what if you have the wrong god? That would probably be worse than worshiping no god at all.

What I think is that they don't have much to offer that they have to resort to frightening people. To me it screams "We're losers", because why would they be interested in people who joined out of coercion? They appear more interested in numbers than quality.

If I lived at a house next door to them, I would put a banner in my front yard that said, "What if they're wrong? You wasted your life, plus gave them your 10% of your money for NOTHING!!" And another sign next to it "Think Critically".

:grin:

What if the earth is really flat?

What if OJ didn't do it?

What if this is all a dream?

Whatever.

What I think is that they don't have much to offer that they have to resort to frightening people. To me it screams "We're losers", because why would they be interested in people who joined out of coercion? They appear more interested in numbers than quality.

Isn't that funny? They never think of quality. Not even when their "leaders" get nailed for extortion or sexual "immorality". All they care about is that everyone has the right title.

"What are you?"

"Christian."

"Ah....Merry Christmas, have a nice day."

*Person goes around the corner, kidnaps a six year old girl and makes sure her family will never forget this christmas*

"What are you?"

"I'm an Atheist."

*The asker proceeds to berate the other person, declaring them bound for hell etc etc. The atheist proceeds to flip them off, and go about their business....which happened to be heading for the soup kitchen for volunteer work*

If I lived at a house next door to them, I would put a banner in my front yard that said, "What if they're wrong? You wasted your life, plus gave them your 10% of your money for NOTHING!!" And another sign next to it "Think Critically".

:grin:

And the sick thing is, if you have a Home Owners Assoc. they will try to fine your ass like this woman.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/27/peace.wreath.ap/index.html

Does it make sense to go through the motions of practicing a religion, simply because you aren't sure if it's true or not? Do Christians believe that simply practicing the rituals will keep them out of hell? Wouldn't their all-knowing God realize they were just pretending to believe?

What do you think?

I'd think an all-knowing god would be able to...except he's not that all knowing. He couldn't find Adam and Eve in his own garden, for instance, or apperantly, make a race of beings that didn't suck in His own eyes thus necessitating Hell in the first place.

I've had bosses who managed things like Jehovah did (thankfully with less actual blood and gore, but there were a few reports that didn't make it and were sacrificed to the shredder in the boss's name). It's impossible to know what is the "best" way not to get fired or bring down their wrath on you, and no matter what you do, they are never happy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing.

If I do end up in front of St. Peter, I'll be the first to say "Well, I'll be damned!"

Ugh, if I had known that was there, I'd have torn it down before I moved. I hate the sight of such trash littering the streets of my adopted hometown :vent:

Yup, lacking in real evidence for their god-man or any good reasons to offer anyone to convert, they resort to fear-mongering. Some Xians don't realize that people don't believe in fairy-tales anymore :Wendywhatever:

Yeah, looks like Pascal's Wager all over again.

But if Xianity were true...

...Yahweh is a sick motherfucker and I'd rather spend eternity in Hell, burning with my loved ones, friends, relatives, and a lot of great people from history (like Gandhi and Ben Franklin) than spend it in Heaven worshipping a twisted, sociopathic sadist like him.

So that's what if it's true.

What if the earth is really flat?

What if OJ didn't do it?

What if this is all a dream?

Whatever.

What if the 3rd Reich won World War 2?

What if Elvis was really still alive and had faked his own death?

What if Space Aliens have really been in contact with Earth and the Us Goverment are...(thats enough of that! - ed)

Yeah, looks like Pascal's Wager all over again.

But if Xianity were true...

...Yahweh is a sick motherfucker and I'd rather spend eternity in Hell, burning with my loved ones, friends, relatives, and a lot of great people from history (like Gandhi and Ben Franklin) than spend it in Heaven worshipping a twisted, sociopathic sadist like him.

So that's what if it's true.

i'm with you. the christian god seems like a nut job, and any other god that threatens hell is on the same funny farm.

i'd like to rip down their sign one night, and put up "what if islam is true?"

ROFLMAO! I read that like THEY would even be shocked to find out "it's true". I'm still chuckling. Fact of the matter is, if it IS true most of THEM are going to be in deep shit along with all of us cause, you know damned well most of them don't truly believe it either... if they did, they would surely live differently.

When I was a preacher I was often more than a little concerned that the congregation could get so involved in a fiery message about evangelizing the world and then leave the service, go get a hot meal and head home to watch the football game - it was pretty damned obvious they couldn't care less about the poor lost souls on the highway to hell!

Fucking hypocrites!

I would agree that it's yet another rephrasing of Pascal's Wager.

And I would also answer that question: If it were true, there's no way I would worship a tyrannical being who would torture people for all of eternity for any reason. Why should anyone have to grovel to a bully like that? Why not stand up against him? I would never worship a bully.

photo-278.jpg

I think it's just a rephrasing of Pascal's Wager. The best answer to that is; what if you have the wrong god? That would probably be worse than worshiping no god at all.

For once, I absolutely agree with you.

For once, I absolutely agree with you.
See.... great minds do think alike. :grin:

What do you think?

They are the first to tell you that works do not save you. Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. " Duh, they make sense???? Goes against their manual! Some really believe if you can just get the sinner through the door of the church that everything will be cool.

I hate the narrow-mindedness that goes into the saying "What if it's true." I mean, we've got other religions. What kind of a shove-in-face nonsense is this? What if it's true that they're all crazy? What if it's true that the sky is purple?

I had some Christian guy ask the same thing to me. I said, "I wouldn't believe in an asshole God that sends people to Hell for just one sin they've committed in their lives."

What if it is true that really The Boogy man is God? Then what? So people are going to live their entire lives , pay 10% of their income because of a WHAT IF????

This church banner asks the question "What if it's true?" The apparent intent is to solicit church attendance from those who aren't sure whether or not they believe in the Christian mythology, just in case Christianity is actually true.
Hmm, perhaps I will join every religion, just in case. Will you be saved if you join "just in case"? Do you really believe if you join "just in case"? It doesn't seem so to me. It seems pretty wishy-washy, or lukewarm if you will, and we all know God spits out those that are lukewarm (where is that verse?). According to that verse it is better to be cold, i.e. not believe, than believe "just in case."