Goodbye Jesus

New U.s. Dollar Coins Hide 'in God We Trust'

Guest sherman

Guest sherman

WASHINGTON – "In God We Trust," the official national motto since 1956 and a familiar sight on U.S. coins and currency, will be hard to find on the new presidential dollar coins scheduled for release to the public Feb. 15, 2007.

The new gold-colored dollar pieces, featuring images of U.S. presidents, will move the inscription from the face of the coin to the thin edge, along with the year and the previous national motto, "E Pluribus Unum," Latin for "Out of Many, One."

The official reason for the design change? To allow space for larger portraits of the presidents on the face and the Statue of Liberty on the reverse, according to the Mint.

The new coins will be the same size as the 1979 Susan B. Anthony and the 2000-2002 Sacajawea.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53115

You'd think that the gov't would've learned their lesson about dollar coins the first time- or the second. I think the only purpose they serve is to allow those postage stamp machines to make change easily.

Normally I wouldn't trust a word published by WorldNet Daily... but a bit of research shows that "In God We Trust" and "E Pluribus Unum" will indeed be moved to the edge of the coin.

Link from the US Mint site here: http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm

Meh......"In God We Trust" doesn't bother me much, nor does it bother most of my atheist friends. I think at this point it's become that sort of stock meaningless phrase like "God save the King".

Because it's meaningless, I don't care whether it's on currency or not. I think it's cool we're putting the phrases on the rim of the coin, rather than the boring usual American practice of having ordinary solid round coins with a plain or ribbed edge.

As a coin collector, I absolutely adore dollar coins. Sure, they're mostly useless to anybody but me, but I don't care. What would really be cool is if American coins took up the Asian practice of putting holes in the middle of their coins for the purpose of making them easy to string. I could keep all my change conveniently on my wrist band rather than hunt through a change purse for the specific amount I need.

Meh......"In God We Trust" doesn't bother me much, nor does it bother most of my atheist friends. I think at this point it's become that sort of stock meaningless phrase like "God save the King".

Because it's meaningless, I don't care whether it's on currency or not. I think it's cool we're putting the phrases on the rim of the coin, rather than the boring usual American practice of having ordinary solid round coins with a plain or ribbed edge.

As a coin collector, I absolutely adore dollar coins. Sure, they're mostly useless to anybody but me, but I don't care. What would really be cool is if American coins took up the Asian practice of putting holes in the middle of their coins for the purpose of making them easy to string. I could keep all my change conveniently on my wrist band rather than hunt through a change purse for the specific amount I need.

wot?

Guest Durthorin

wot?

Dollar coins will never catch on until they can beat he problem of how you stick them in a strippers garter..

Dollar coins will never catch on until they can beat he problem of how you stick them in a strippers garter..

:lmao:

But there are other places one can stick them... :Duivel7:

I think the major obstacle to the adoption of dollar coins is that vending machines won't take them. They take quarters, dimes, nickels, and even dollar bills, but no dollar coin.

I think that if I could buy a soda or candy bar using only one coin (the dollar coin in this case), I would carry around a few of them at all times. I think most people would.

They take quarters, dimes, nickels, and even dollar bills, but no dollar coin.

Well......that's what they're designed to do, yes.......

The Japanese have a saying - Why do Americans lie all the time? Because "in God they trust." Sounds better in Japanese though.