Goodbye Jesus

Dispensationalism: 2 Kinds

R. S. Martin

This is carried over from Dianne's Introduction, Post 27.

Mongo said:

Re. Dispensationalism

I am referring to the Darby (Schoefield) version of Dispensationalism (19th century) which was essentially developed to "decode" the Book of Revelations and spawned a host of "end times" churches. From the Wikipedia, Mennonite doctrine pre-dates Darbyism and hence would not belong to the family of protestant churches that embrace one of the versions of Darbyism. Perhaps your Mennonite denomination of orgin is one that does.

My suspicion is that you are referring to a similar doctrine shared by Catholics that god ushered in a new "dispensation" of grace when the New Covenant was established. While there are basic similarities, modern Dispensationalism is far more complicated and intricate than the doctrine that explains the New and Old Covenants.

You might be right on this. I didn't know this much about it. The dispensationalism I read about divided biblical history from Adam to the present into seven dispensations. Not sure if I can correctly name them but I think I found something in Wikipedia that I used for my paper.

I looked at it just now and I saw the name Darby. Thus, it's probably Darbyism that I read about. Where can I learn more about the Catholic view? I never heard much about the dispensation of grace. I can't remember ever hearing it in a sermon. But I remember that my mother talked about it to convince me that the different levels of divine morality in the Old and New Testaments were justified.

The dispensationalism I read about divided biblical history from Adam to the present into seven dispensations.

Yes, this is the Dispensationalism that I refer to.

Where can I learn more about the Catholic view?

Catholics don’t speak of it in the same terms. They believe in the Old and New Covenant but I am having trouble finding online sources that make this clear. The sources I found say the same thing but differently.

I never heard much about the dispensation of grace. I can't remember ever hearing it in a sermon.

From Adam to Jesus, dispensationalists divide the OT into 5 dispensations. From Jesus to the establishment of gods kingdom on earth is the sixth one; the dispensation of grace which is the New Covenant. Prior to that, they are bound by the Mosaic Law.

Ruby,

This is one tough topic. I’m not well versed in this doctrinal issue.

At the link below you can find the following comments on Dispensationalism versus Covenant theology and New Covenant theology from a Baptist perspective.

http://www.solagratia.org/Articles/A_Compa...t_Theology.aspx

“There are three main systems of interpreting Scripture that are the most prevalant in the Christian Church today: Dispensationalism, Classical Covenant Theology and New Covenant Theology. The most popular system today [among conservative evangelicals and fundamentalists] is Dispensationalism.

The other two systems appear to antedate Dispensationalism, and [according to the views of the editors] offer a better view of reading redemptive history than Dispensationalism, with it's so-called "literal" hermeneutic.”

“Many Baptists today consider themselves Reformed, in the sense that they view the New Covenant as the promised "time of reformation" that God had predicted in the Scriptures (Heb 9:10), and as the norm for Christian living, rather than the view that OT Law, Ceremonial-Civil-Sacrificial Law being excepted, is somehow still in effect for Christians today. ”

I rephrased this statement for clarity:

Dispensationalism stresses “literal” interpretation of the Bible. Covenant Theology and New Covenant Theology accept both literal and figurative (spiritual) interpretation of the Bible.

Sorry for not getting further along on this one. Maybe there is a former pastor out there who can chime in. Please???

Mongo