Goodbye Jesus

Comic Books Are Evil!

Guest mhager10

Guest mhager10

I am a new memeber here and will briefly explain how I left the christian faith. As a child I was a huge comic book geek. I loved them all but my favorite was Thor, from marvel comics. I remember enjoying the idea that he was an actual deity from a past religion. I liked it so much that I hit the library and got a few books on the Norse myths. I noted with surprise that there was a flood story there too (When Odin and his brothers killed the primordial giant to make the world, his blood covered everything).

In that same library section, I saw books on a variety of myths, so I read them all. I noted that there was a flood in them all, just like the flood of Noah (I know now that most of those myths were actually creative myths more related to the early genesis passage concerning a primal world that was all water). Then I read further and saw many other similarities. I was so excited. I made long lists of each acrhtype I could find and how they manifested in each set of beliefs. I thought I was really on to something at that young age (about 10). Of course, as my reading progressed, I learned that I was often mistaken and rediscovering the wheel, but I still look back on it with pride.

At about age 16 I simply asked myself, if christianity is the one true faith, why does it tell all the same stories as any other faith? The only answer that satisfied me was that christianity served the same human needs that other faiths do and, humans being humans the world over who struggle with the same issues, it made sense that the stories they made up to help them cope would be similar. So, christianity was of no greater value or truth then any other mythology. I was done. I have been open about my atheism since leaving for college at 17. All my friends know and there are no problems and my family knows. It is simply not discussed. I suppose my transition was about as easy a one as possible.

Welcome, mhagher10

Congratulations, you've found an opening to thinking about alternatives to christianity. Through something as simple as comics, no less! You'll find a lot of support here as you continue your exploring. Feel free to share. There are even ex-christians who still recognize Thor, and hopefully our friends like Thuriasz will answer.

In any event, stick around...

welcome! straightforward enough testimony there, although this is the first time I can remember someone mentioning about comic books playing a part in their deconversion.

But you're right in saying that Christianity serves human needs in the same way as other faiths. It's not superior to any other faiths, whatever Christians may think.

anyways, hope you stick around.

Hi - and welcome!

I was a huge consumer of comic books as a kid, too, but I preferred DC to Marvel. I don't remember them having any impact on my religious outlook, but I did learn a lot of scientific facts (most of them at least somewhat true) that amazed my teachers and classmates.

I also remember Thor. I was particularly intrigued by the Loki character. Even to this day, I sometimes think that if there really is a deity who gets involved in human life, it's probably like Loki - a cosmic trickster that is definitely NOT motivated by goodwill toward humanity.

Oh, yeah, while I'm being silly, let me impose a lame joke on you:

Once upon a time, Thor left Valhalla to visit earth where he seduced a beautiful woman. He bedded her for three days and made love to her in a variety of ways but did not reveal his identity to her until the morning of his departure, at which point he announced, "I am mighty Thor." And she replied: "You're Thor? I'm Tho Thor I can hardly pith!"

I'm a lifelong fan of comic books. I simply love that medium more than movies, literature and any other source of entertainment. I'm more of a fan of Image comics above all else though. Image comics break away from superheroes (with the exception of Invincible).

Anyway, that's a cool testimony. Welcome to the boards and I'm glad you thought for yourself about the similarities in mythology. That's something many many Christians ignore.

Guest mhager10

Welcome, mhagher10

Congratulations, you've found an opening to thinking about alternatives to christianity. Through something as simple as comics, no less! You'll find a lot of support here as you continue your exploring. Feel free to share. There are even ex-christians who still recognize Thor, and hopefully our friends like Thuriasz will answer.

In any event, stick around...

Thank you all for your kind words. I prehaps should have added that my deconversion from theism happened some 22 years ago. I have been an open atheist for that amount of time. My de-conversion, to use the popular term here, was a fairly simple one. Sunday worship had sort of slipped out of my family's awareness anyway, so it was simple to never go to church again. My family and I don't discuss it and we get along fine. My friends and even co-workers all know and it is no problem. In fact, I am in IT and my boss will sometimes jokingly tell me that the reason a server was acting oddly was my "heathen hands upon it!"

In many ways, I flatter myself by thinking I am the picture of an easy transition out of theism.

Lifetime X-Men fan here! Welcome to the fold...:)

Welcome! I'm a fan of Spider-Man myself.

So i suppose you are following the Civil War crossover too???

thoughts of dismembering some of marvel's editorial staff

At least iron man is finaly coming out of his closet, to become the super villan he was always trying to be.

There are even ex-christians who still recognize Thor, and hopefully our friends like Thurisaz will answer.

You called? :fdevil:

Hi MHager, greetings from Germany :)

But you're right in saying that Christianity serves human needs in the same way as other faiths. It's not superior to any other faiths, whatever Christians may think.

Indeed. There's no logical way to determine what religion, if any, tells the truth (aside from personal evidence that is per definitionem invalid outside your personal context). This specifically includes my own faith, to be honest. ;)

But then, as long as a religious person doesn't bother others, she's free to believe in whatever she wants... and unless she intrudes on others' freedoms, she may also do as she pleases. Fundies however, with their turn or burn attitude... :banghead:

I also remember Thor. I was particularly intrigued by the Loki character. Even to this day, I sometimes think that if there really is a deity who gets involved in human life, it's probably like Loki - a cosmic trickster that is definitely NOT motivated by goodwill toward humanity.

Aaah, don't we all know that feeling? :crazy: