Goodbye Jesus

Christians That Laugh A Lot

riverbank

No I'm not talking about laughing 'in the spirit'. I'm talking about those Christians who are full of the 'joy of the Lord' and laugh regularly during conversations. I came across one a month or two ago. Don't these people get on your nerves a bit? Why the need to laugh so much? To me it's just silly.

Anyway, mini-rant over for now.

Thanks

Yeah...I've run across those types. I've always seen it as sort of superficial...role-playing...contrived...like they were doing what they thought they were supposed to instead of being genuine. You're right...silly.

I don't think it's a uniquely Christian phenomenon - hardly. I hate people who are constantly laughing and joking.

I hate my job, and one part of it is sorting out the pile of worthless $5.50 movies in a giant box descriptively named the "dump bin". It has only two layers of DVDs in it, but dumb shits think that the entire three-foot-deep box is full to the bottom of them. So when I'm stacking them and putting them back into place after fat rednecks have sent a tornado through them, some asshole invariably comes along and says, "Well, I'm glad I don't have that job! N'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!"

Yeah, I'll bet you are. Get lost.

I just hate those people that have to insert a lame joke into every sentence. "Got any mp3 players? Do you have any pink ones [coming from a guy]? Hahahahahaha!" (They always laugh at their own jokes, probably knowing that nobody else is going to.) "$49.88? Do you have change for a million? Hahahahahahaha! Can I write you a check? Can you write me a check? Hahahahahaha! C'mon, give me a smile, sourpuss! Hahahahahaha! Can't you just crack me a grin? Come on! Hahahahahaha!"

Needless to say my face at work has turned into a stony expressionless statue, and I have to admit I take special delight in denying smiles to those who laughingly beg for them. "C'mon! Don't you smile at all? Aren't you having fun? Hahahahahaha!"

Wow........I love my job. I also like to push peoples buttons that hate everything(in real life) :wicked:

I think my avatar is laughing.

After going from shit job to shit job to shit job I'm really getting hopeless. There's nothing to make you hate the entire human race more than working at Sprawl-Mart and putting up with the public every fucking day.

I don't think it's a uniquely Christian phenomenon - hardly. I hate people who are constantly laughing and joking.

I hate my job, and one part of it is sorting out the pile of worthless $5.50 movies in a giant box descriptively named the "dump bin". It has only two layers of DVDs in it, but dumb shits think that the entire three-foot-deep box is full to the bottom of them. So when I'm stacking them and putting them back into place after fat rednecks have sent a tornado through them, some asshole invariably comes along and says, "Well, I'm glad I don't have that job! N'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!"

Yeah, I'll bet you are. Get lost.

I just hate those people that have to insert a lame joke into every sentence. "Got any mp3 players? Do you have any pink ones [coming from a guy]? Hahahahahaha!" (They always laugh at their own jokes, probably knowing that nobody else is going to.) "$49.88? Do you have change for a million? Hahahahahahaha! Can I write you a check? Can you write me a check? Hahahahahaha! C'mon, give me a smile, sourpuss! Hahahahahaha! Can't you just crack me a grin? Come on! Hahahahahaha!"

Needless to say my face at work has turned into a stony expressionless statue, and I have to admit I take special delight in denying smiles to those who laughingly beg for them. "C'mon! Don't you smile at all? Aren't you having fun? Hahahahahaha!"

Oh, I know. I hate jackasses like that too. They're those superificial idiots that can't be serious for even a minute. What's worse is when they do "act" serious, they act like they understand and you can tell there's a hint of sarcasm and arrogance in there somewhere as if they're thinking to themselves other lame jokes. I came across a racist asshole two months back who thought it was funny to joke asian. If it was outdoors, I would've popped him one in the face. Anyway, I know a Christian that's somewhat superficial, but yeah, the overly optimistic and unreal attitude where they constantly smile and laugh like crazy zealots is really lame. They're probably thinking, "Oh, we're saved. We're going to Heaven. Life is joyful. Let's all smile." Too bad not everyone thinks the same. Come across someone that's having one lousy day, they're bound to trigger off the alarm.

Oh, I know. I hate jackasses like that too. They're those superificial idiots that can't be serious for even a minute. What's worse is when they do "act" serious, they act like they understand and you can tell there's a hint of sarcasm and arrogance in there somewhere as if they're thinking to themselves other lame jokes. I came across a racist asshole two months back who thought it was funny to joke asian. If it was outdoors, I would've popped him one in the face.

Sweet Jeebus, yes, that's what I'm talking about. I seriously have to wonder if there's some kind of deep-seated mental disorder that makes people like that. They also have generally such a high opinion of the joy of being around them and their sense of "fun" that when they find out somebody hates being around them it makes absolutely no sense to them. And yes, even when they pretend to concentrate on something important the only thing they can actually run their brains on is making up more jokes.

I hate people like the one Nabooru described. I also hate people who don't know they're not funny and try to make jokes all the time. I used to not have a sense of humor, and I paid attention to what made funny jokes funny, and at least 1 in every 5 of my jokes is funny now, so I think there's really no excuse for it, save polite people laughing in spite of it.

What about christians who will laugh at a point you are making as you're making it? Like they actually know what you're going to say, or have a counter ready that they can just scoff at you, and write you off. Don't you just love it when they find out they can't answer you?

What about christians who will laugh at a point you are making as you're making it? Like they actually know what you're going to say, or have a counter ready that they can just scoff at you, and write you off. Don't you just love it when they find out they can't answer you?

My grandmother does something like that. Anytime I voice an opinion, protest or support she does not agree with, she laughs. I think it's partially because she's too stupid to do anything else (seriously......she bought cat food once thinking it was tuna fish), but it's also because she can't deal with what I say.

Ok these people may or may not be Christians, but there's this grocery store by my house. It's a national chain, and for some reason the manager there (who's a freak of nature he talks and laughs so much) has turned all the employees there into laughing babbling stepfordbots. I honestly think he fires people if they are not smiling and laughing every minute of every second they are on shift. Like their behavior just isn't natural, is what I mean. Even if you walk by an employee obviously ignoring them and sending strong vibes that you don't want to be bothered, they'll go out of their way to step in front of you with a big smile and practically yell "EXCUSE ME SIR, DO YOU NEED ANY HELP FINDING ANYTHING?". ( I think they think anyone over 20 must be losing their hearing or they should be treated like a senior citizen) <murder> <kill kill kill> <must destroy> is the only thoughts going through my head when this happens. Anyway yesterday I went to the deli and this lady behind the counter was the worst i've ever experienced. I was as cold and as quiet as a person could possibly be (I think there were machete's coming out of my eyes every time she looked at me) yet she kept going on and on talking to me making stupid jokes and laughing at herself. How obvious can I make it that I just want her hurry her fat ass up and give me my shit so I can leave? Anyway I think i've gotten to the point where I don't want to shop there anymore because the employees are actually aggressive in their "niceness" and it's too much. I have to drive about 4 miles further to get to another store but I think I finally reached my breaking point :vent:

And as you can guess, my opinion of people (Christians or not) who laugh and smile too much is they are freaks.

I like joy very much. Is it wrong? I don't pretend to be joking, I just am, when you see the way I joke, I don't go over the top, I like to be satirical and sharp. I love to smile, anything wrong with that? Real smiles makes the world go around. I just don't do it 24/7.

That said, it's okay to be sad, angry, mad, etc, as long as it is not over the top. It's human nature and makes life interesting.

"over the top" is it, exactly. Laughing in and of itself is okay, even though there'll always be people who disagree with you about what's funny.

But laughing in a totally weird context... bizarre. Simply bizarre. Enter the clichee about the eternally laughing/grinning madman... --> :crazy: <--

Okay, at first I thought I was a real oger of a person but I see I;m not the only one...

I work with this woman that is devoutly Christian. She believes I'm a christian too(she said she can tell by looking at me that I am filled with the holy spirit...I do drink spirits occasionally, but they aren't holy)...

Anyway, she is really obnoxious. She has the permanently plastered smile on her face and she talks like her name ought to be Marva Redenbacher or June Reed. She effects her voice to make it so sickeningly saccharine that I often wonder if I'll develop type two diabetes just being in her presence...

She always laughs after everything she says about how she is filled with the joy of the lord...

I really appreciate nice people, and I do like to laugh and joke. But sometimes I just wish she would shut the fuck up.

As I type this she is sitting right next to me, and she creeps me out...

end rant.

I know a couple of people like this. The ones I know do it because they are nervous. It is a nervous condition like a tick. The more tense they feel the worse they get.

Oh, you mean this guy? tobolowsky_groundhog.jpg

Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ned Ryerson, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?

You know the reason I think those people who overly smile, joke, laugh, cry, sing, whistle, etc., etc...are suffering from fear. That inner insecurity we find especially with the so called devout christians. Beleive me if they REALLY beleived in heaven and hell you could not get them to leave church. There would be pleas for others to end their own lives so they could get to heaven. Children of parents would be thrown to their deaths to get them out of this existence. So no they don't really believe and their fears are showing up in their crude behaviour. It's very sad.

When I'm at work, especially when I have to ring people up (we're understaffed at my job, hence why as a lead photo tech I also do register and some stocking), I try to be pleasant. I can usually tell which people are friendly and which people just want to make their transaction and get the hell out of Dodge. I won't say much if you're giving out the "leave me the fuck alone" vibes, I'll just smile, hand you your change and tell you to have a good day.

Apparently I give off a "nice/helpful/authoritative" vibe too, because I always get a lot of questions from people wondering where things are. Customers in confusion always zero in on me even if there's half a dozen other associates on the floor and I'm not wearing my "lead tech" badge... but they're sweet and docile about it, usually. I've only gotten the Comedy Central rejects every once in a blue moon, and it's usually after happy hour at the pubs.

Usually, I just chat and joke around with the regulars, when they feel like talking. But nothing over the top. People who try too hard to be funny are usually the worst comedians.