Goodbye Jesus

Got Thru A Crisis Without Prayer

StewartP

Wednesday was my daughter's birthday. She's called Briony. Turned 7. Tuesday night she had four friends over for a sleepover (because here in France there is no school for under 13s on Wednesdays).

That night she started a bad cough and seemed under the weather. She slept with my wife (I was on night shift) When I got up about 11:00 am the Wednesday my wife told me that Briony was really unwell and she had cancelled the birthday party. Briony was still coughing and lying listless on the couch. The soonest appointment with the doctor was for 17:45. A friend who came over to pick up her daughter (one of the sleepovers) said that with Briony struggling to breath (you could see she was using her ribs and chest, not her diaphragm) we should consider getting her to hospital.

So off we went to hospital. The doctors at the pediatric emergency put her on oxygen and ventolin. An x-ray revealed a shadow on the lung that looked like an infection - pneumonia perhaps. Intravenous antibiotic and an overnight stay in hospital.

She spent all day Thursday and Thursday night on oxygen and only today, at about 11:00am was she breathing well enough to come off the gas. By this evening, she was nearly her old self and scheduled to come home tomorrow.

When the first hooked her up to the oxygen, and the line inter her arm, I made a conscious decision to not pray. "There is no God, Stew, it's just Briony and you and Fiona, together with the doctors and staff and 21stC medicine." And that proved enough. Great doctors, excellent nurses, antibiotics and time.

God can fuck off!

regards

Stew

(edited to add:) Now there is just the small problem of the hospital bill. And we'll figure that one out without God too. He can still fuck right off!

Poor munchkin.

Hope she feels well enough for a postponed BD party!

Yay! Your daughter was healed by science and doctors!

Let's be thankful to the right people for a change eh? Wahoo!

In reply to an email about there being no hell, a fundy replied "Nothing Bless You". Sigh. Sad eh? People bless me.

That is what is so wrong about religion. People have blessed you Stew! Not god! People!

If people had not been thinking of your daughter 100 years ago, you could be burying her today.

Yea nurses! Yea doctors! Yea scientests!

Give them praise and thanks folks!

Hip hip hurrah!

Hip hip hurrah!

Hip hip hurrah!

Mongo

Fantastic!

And give that sweet girl some extra hugs from all of us!

glad to hear things turned out alright, Stew. but you DO know this was the work of satan, trying to convince you that you don't need god.

there's a little fundy in all of us. :P

Thank you, Stew, for your thoughts in sharing your precious daughter's recovery with us. That was a wonderful thing to read. What an uplift!...

I give credit to science and doctors. Afterall, they don't deserve to spend decades in medical school and get second hand credit...

Ironically, I have not prayed in awhile either...and I have had several bad things happen...

Granted, I still say things like, "Lord have mercy" or "goddamn" and etc...but those are reflex reactions.