Goodbye Jesus

Crush Christianity

Jun

I remember once reading an article on japan-guide.com that said that more young Japanese claimed to feel a connection to Christianity than Buddhism or Shinto. Obviously at first this alarmed me, but then I realized that the numbers of actual Christians in Japan are small and probably shrinking.

That would have been the case 15 years ago. Less than 1% of the population is Christian - and we must remember that includes all the foreigners that live in Japan too.

My sister-in-law went to a Christian school (although she is not Christian and neither were most of her school mates) She told me that they went to church once a year (Xmas) and that they never learnt about Christianity at all! Why have a Christian school in Japan if there is no real hope of gaining many converts? Money.

Of course the Japanese should consider themselves lucky for the intelligence to avoid the current religious hell that is South Korea, and that China is in danger of falling into because of evangelical Christianity.

The Grace Chinese Christian Church is gaining a strong hold in Sydney :(

What is the religious leaning of most Japanese? I've heard that most of them disclaim any interest in religious matters, but I've also heard the claim that "religion" to them is nothing less than an organized sangha (somewhat like religion in the Western sense), and they do tend to be superstitious (regarding such things as the placing of chopsticks upright in food, for example).

Religion is not taught in school. All Japanese practice Shinto and Buddhist observances - even if they don't claim to practice either. All Japanese observe hatsumode - the first visit to a shrine or temple in the new year - more out of habit and conformity. Marriages are performed at Shinto shrines by Shinto priests, funerals are performed at Buddhist temples.

90% of marriages today are Christian marriages. The Christian priest however is not an ordained priest in any Christian sect. If you are ever considering heading to Japan for an extended stay, consider this job. You need to be well presented, preferably an American, Canadian, Australian or New Zealander. You need to be able to act like a real Christian priest. They will dress you like a priest and write out the mass for you in romaji so all you need to do is read it out and act like a priest. It actually is BIG money. There are LOTS of aggencies employing foreigners as fake Christian priests.

As for placing your chopsticks upright in your food, that's just bad manners and has nothing to do with superstition. But you are right, the Japanese do have lots more superstitious beliefs than most other nationalities.

Some say that Japanese religion is ingrained enough and simple enough as to be practiced by the people without having it impose on every aspect of their lives like Western religion, perhaps so much so they don't even realize it.

That's it. Buddhism especially is a way to live one's life - it is not a religion. Shinto is there, but in the background and almost nobody actually believes in it any more, it's just there as a tradition.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jun

• Grandpa Harley

• Lycorth

• ShackledNoMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Grace Chinese Christian Church is gaining a strong hold in Sydney

In the US it's not unusual for Christian missionaries to pose as "Asian immigrant associations" (much in the same way anti-abortion groups pose as "pregnancy consultants"), and to tell the newcomers that they cannot get American citizenship without a confirmed conversion to Christianity and membership in a legitimate church (which, conveniently, is always their own).

Right now I have two Asian families living across the street from me. One seems to be rather rude and rough, and they go to church every Sunday. (I know this because when you live in a small town, and you're enlightened enough to be too disgusted by the local churches and chain businesses to have anything to do with them, you spend a lot of time staring out your window at the neighbors.) I don't know their particular nationality. The other are Chinese, very, very friendly and nice and don't seem to be Christian, at least not religiously so. They do some Christmas decorations, but always have a Chinese charm hanging in their window, which is a good sign, since most American churches decry anything that's not of a white American Christian origin to be "satanic". As we live in Joyce Meyers land, though, and I already know she's placing pressure on the local Hispanic Catholics to join her herd, I worry for their sanity.

In the US it's not unusual for Christian missionaries to pose as "Asian immigrant associations" (much in the same way anti-abortion groups pose as "pregnancy consultants"), and to tell the newcomers that they cannot get American citizenship without a confirmed conversion to Christianity and membership in a legitimate church (which, conveniently, is always their own).

That would be illegal in Oz, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is also going on here.

That is some awesome writing.

I'd love to read the entire translation!

Send me word when you'll be finished Jun, I'd be very interested in reading the rest of it.

I will announce here when I'm finished. Those who have asked will recieve a copy. :D

• 5 months later...

I am probably 3/4 finished translating Ha Kirishitan. I thought I might post some more little excerpts for those who showed they were interested.

English translation by Rev. Junpei Genshin, copyright by Rev. Junpei Genshin.

It is evident to me that the Kirishitan religion is a devilish plot by these bateren to take hold of Nihon, to make Nihon into a Kirishitan stronghold subject to the political control of Portugal, as the Spaniards have done to the Philippines.

The Kirishitans insist that Deus is all-loving, just and good. But the Kirishitans don't demonstrate the same all-loving, just and goodness that they claim their Deus teaches them. What hypocricy. What advantage can there be in following such a religion?

Not a one of the Kirishitans can tell of the appearance of this Deus, of what he looks like, of how he is armed or clothed. Yet they still insist that their Deus is real! What foolishness! How can an intelligent man claim something to be true without having first seen it or experienced it or having had others more knowledgeable verify it? We have only the words of these barbarians. They cannot offer any proof, and yet expect [us] to believe? There is simply no perceptual proof. I liken this to a man who falls in love with a woman whom he has not seen.

How is it that these Kirishitans cannot understand death, impermanence, non-self when they have the words of their very creator in a text? Does not their creator tell them of these things? Does he hold back the very knowledge of life to his followers?

How is it that this Deus created the world as the Kirishitans have said? If Deus created the world, did he do so out of nothing or did he create something out of something? Something can not be created out of nothing.

It is evident that the Kirishitan religion is rooted in fear and ignorance. If man is created by Deus, then he must belong to Deus and not to himself, but reality shows that man belongs only to nature. Only man is responsible for his own life, man is here because of his own action and the cause of nature alone. Man is neither punished nor rewarded by anyone but himself according to his own good and bad actions.

Kirishitans claim there is no "salvation" without Deus. Thus a man may have achieved much virtue and lived a righteous life, yet he is still condemned to eternal hell just because he does not believe in Deus.

When you finish, there might be professors in English-speaking countries interested in it. I suspect this is a part of the story that a lot of students don't get to see because of lack of translations. If I were a history Professor, I'd be happy to show them this regardless of my religion, just so that my students could get a better idea of the Japanese reaction to Christianity.

If you are ever considering heading to Japan for an extended stay, consider this job. You need to be well presented, preferably an American, Canadian, Australian or New Zealander. You need to be able to act like a real Christian priest. They will dress you like a priest and write out the mass for you in romaji so all you need to do is read it out and act like a priest. It actually is BIG money. There are LOTS of aggencies employing foreigners as fake Christian priests.

WTF!! How old do you need to be for that?? Is 21 years old too young?

Awesome work as ever, Jun :)

It probably goes without saying, but I'd like a copy...

It probably goes without saying, but I'd like a copy...

Me too.

I suspect this is a part of the story that a lot of students don't get to see because of lack of translations. If I were a history Professor, I'd be happy to show them this regardless of my religion, just so that my students could get a better idea of the Japanese reaction to Christianity.

There are hundreds of works available in English that reveal the Japanese reaction to Christianity - the Shimabara Rebellion and so forth - the problem is not a lack of translations or literature; it's lack of interest in anything that is against Christianity.

How old do you need to be for that?? Is 21 years old too young?

Mmmm. Perhaps, but you never know. If you present yourself well and are convincing.

I will make a copy available to all here in PDF form when I'm finished.

I will make a copy available to all here in PDF form when I'm finished.

That would be so great of you Jun, thanks.

That is a wonderful text. I have very much enjoyed reading it. He is a wise man. And your translation is very readable. Thank you.

Can't wait for the PDF. Going striaght into my personal religious stash. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more.

English translation by Rev. Junpei Genshin, copyright by Rev. Junpei Genshin.

In the Kirishitan teaching there is no method of teaching the mind, of awakening self introspection and thought. It is simply expected that all should follow without question like baby ducks following the parent. What good can come of that? Are they men or ducklings?

The Kirishitans have no power to control their sufferings. They cling to their dogmatic views and their teachings of Deus. Clinging to rituals and rites and believing them to be a means of mental purification is folly. As the Buddha said, it is not sufficient to simply trust in the teachings of others without first putting them to the test. Only through testing and seeing for ourselves can we know about mental grief, sorrow, the impermanency of all conditioned things, and the soulless nature of the body. As to the Kirishitan teaching about humans, they consider the mind and the body as two separate things. Are they not joined in unison in the Kirishitans? Are these people somehow physically different from us? I think that is not the case. Yet they insist that the mind is somehow different from the body, not a whole part.

The Kirishitans are taught not to doubt, not to question, their Deus. That is indeed an unwise thing. If man's ability to reason, to doubt, is removed then how does one decide for ones self? How does one live fully aware of his place in the universe? Through written words from another? How foolish!

There are these Kirishitan bateren who claim they are speaking for their Deus. How does one know that they repeat the words of Deus unabridged? Does Deus speak in words to these men? And what for only to those in robes? Why not to all men? I see in these men acts of covetousness, of ill will towards others. Is this the way of the men who speak for Deus?

A man of the Dharma does away with covetousness, he purifies his mind of lusts. He casts away ill will. He dwells free from drowsiness and dullness, with clear comprehension. Full of peace, he cleanses the mind of worry.

The Kirishitans are ever blaming their evil deeds on others, not taking responsibility for their own deeds. They are quick to blame and slow to apologise. They show no respect for etiquette and bathe rarely. How can such an unclean, uncouth race be the men of a god? No one can others purify, purity and impurity depend upon oneself.

They hold that there too is another god such as powerful as Deus but of opposing teachings. An evil god is he and he is to blame for their (the Kirishitans) evil doings! By oneself are evil deeds done, not by outside forces. Only a man of ill-mind* could blame his own evil deeds upon another. All conditions proceed from the mind of man, the mind is their source. If man speaks with an impure mind, ill effects will follow.

Shõsan appears to be writing this at different times, probably in between other duties. Sometimes it is a bit mixed up and the sentences don't flow. It is getting increasingly harder to determine his meaning, and he gets a bit erratic. His text is often only in hiragana - and without the kanji to tell me which words he has chosen I'm left with the overall context to determine his meaning. He sometimes substitutes kanji for other simpler ones that are phonetically similar but leave me with a number of choices as to what he is saying. Anyhow, more to come.

*Shosan used the term haraguroi, I have translated this as "ill-mind." Haraguroi means to have a black hara. The hara is the seat of emotions, thoughts, intentions or character.

Any plans to illustrate this?

No. Why? Perhaps Nick5 would be so kind to illustrate a cover page for the PDF?

Here's a pic of a statue of Suzuki Shõsan.

post-2047-1181100944_thumb.jpg

Often during questioning they will assert that we simply cannot understand their Deus and that he is above human understanding.

haha, some things never change.

i did not know this was a common opinion of buddhists. one more reason buddhism isn't on my shit list.

Simply because it felt it should...

Simply because it felt it should...

Gramps, can you make a suggestion for illustrations? I can't think of anything appropriate.

Not sure... I sometimes don't actually think it thru... it just felt like it...

Not sure... I sometimes don't actually think it thru... it just felt like it...

Oh.

Hey, I never said I was reasonable, or a source of good ideas... it was a suggestion :D

Hey, I never said I was reasonable, or a source of good ideas... it was a suggestion :D

No, I think you are quite reasonable............at times. :grin: It was an interesting suggestion.