Goodbye Jesus

Creepy Christian Carols

atheist activist

Recently I found myself explaining to a close friend the feeling of community that I enjoyed while in youth group in junior high, and came to focus on the singing bit that occurred at the end of every meeting. Us girls would put our arms around each other and sway and sing with emotion, and cry even, being girls of twelve and thirteen. As I began to give some examples of the songs we so cherished, I began laughing, though horrified, as the lyrics came to my lips, ten years later. It sickens me to picture myself and other kids singing these horrific songs taught by their own parents and mentors. Here is one example, and I hope others will follow:

Life was filled with guns and war

And all of us got trampled on the floor

I wish we'd all been ready

The children died, the days grew cold

A piece of bread could buy a bag of gold

There's no time to change your mind

The son has come and you've been left behind

A man and wife asleep in bed

She hears a noise and turns her head, he's gone

Two men walking up a hill

One disappears and one's left standing still

The father spoke, the demons dined

How could you have been so blind?

I hope we'll all be ready

You've been left behind

That is sick :vent:

The whole concept of the "Rapture" is a twisted one. Most Xian just don't realize it, but it is utterly monstrous to uphold that idea. Jebus comes and takes away his biggest fans, and the rest of the world (innocent unbelievers whose only crime was non-belief in Jebus) gets to suffer many tribulations and so forth, all for the glory of their god.

It is revolting how Xian teachings encourage people to revel in the suffering of others :vent:

The father spoke, the demons dined

How could you have been so blind?

I hope we'll all be ready

You've been left behind

I remember that song! Who sang it? Was it Lamb? I remember it freaking me out and hoping I was going to be one of the chosen.

Man it's an evil death cult - Christianity.

Stew

There's a bumpersticker out there: Come the Rapture, we'll have the Earth to ourselves" (Of course this assumes a Rapture)

I remember more than a few times when I'd go come home from school and no one was there, or no one was home when they were supposed to be there, that the rapture happened and I didn't get to go.

I was over at one of the female parental units's fundie friends house (not by choice). The woman's grandaughter (cute, blonde hair, blue eyed 6 year old) sings the aplhabet for us. Not the usual one though.

A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Jesus died for you and me

H, I, J, K,L, M, N, O, P

god will punish sinful deeds

Q, R, S, T, U ,V W, X, Y and Z

god has promised us eternal peace

I had hairs sticking up on the back of my neck when I heard it. I literally felt sick.

The brainwashing the poor kids of Xian households suffer :vent:

I didn't know that ABC rhyme was still around...

Yes, I learned it in Pre K...and I am 25 years old.

This song was in that movie "A Thief in the Night"

I wish they'd get this one on DVD....it's the prequel for the super sad Mark IV series.

Just watching people run around in brightly colored bellbottoms trying to "hide" from helicopters and whatnot.....

Quite comic.

Actually, "Onward Christian Soldiers" is really creepy once you stop and pay attention to the lyrics.