Goodbye Jesus

Greetings, Fellow Exchristians

PaulQ

Greetings, everybody. I'm new to this site, but not to Christianity or atheism. If you like, I have already written my deconversion story and hosted it own my own web site:

http://digitalquirk.ca/walkaway.html

Good to find a place where rational thought reigns supreme.

Good to find a place where rational thought reigns supreme.

You say that now... ;)

Welcome! :wave:

DigitalQuirk,

I enjoyed your story very much.

Glad your here.

Guest Woodleigh

So we evolved eyes because we needed them and given time we could evolve an eye at the back of our heads if enough people wanted it... and we do indeed need it sometimes !

But then.... could we not also evolve an afterlife.... if enough people wanted it?

Maybe we already did and will only find out when we get there.... I hope its modern and not stuck in the stone age... if we stop wanting the afterlife it may not evolve into an interesting place... it might remain in a primitive state...

Let me tell you something... what I just said fits right in with your theory... maybe what we want or feel we need may be possible if we evolve it ourselves.

Having said that I can see that we may evolve ourselves a longer life instead of a hereafter and maybe even immortality itself eventually.

Woody :o)

So we evolved eyes because we needed them and given time we could evolve an eye at the back of our heads if enough people wanted it... and we do indeed need it sometimes !

But then.... could we not also evolve an afterlife.... if enough people wanted it?

Maybe we already did and will only find out when we get there.... I hope its modern and not stuck in the stone age... if we stop wanting the afterlife it may not evolve into an interesting place... it might remain in a primitive state...

Let me tell you something... what I just said fits right in with your theory... maybe what we want or feel we need may be possible if we evolve it ourselves.

Having said that I can see that we may evolve ourselves a longer life instead of a hereafter and maybe even immortality itself eventually.

Woody :o)

Wanting or desiring something has never played a role in the genetic mutations that have taken place, at least not until very recently with modern medical science. Rather, the genetic mutations happen at random, and we consciously determine whether or not they are desirable by choosing to reproduce with that person with those traits. Many people have had the desire to fly like a bird for many thousands of years; that desire was not sufficient for our species to develop lightweight bones and sprout feathers. However, such a genetic mutation is much more likely to happen than that of an afterlife which would really serve no useful purpose other than to feed our egos.

It is entirely possible that at some point, someone somewhere was born with an eye in the back of their head. It would be possible then that this mutation caused other problems which prevented that person from passing on their genetic code in the gene pool, thus killing off that genetic mutation. After all, eyes do require much more maintenance and protection than do other sensory organs. Most likely, the ability to turn our heads to look over our shoulder was sufficient. Perhaps the need to be aware of what is behind us is what led us to develop stereoscopic hearing, and the ability to turn our heads, and those that were not able to hear what was behind them or turn their heads got killed off by animals that sneak up and attack from behind. That would leave only those with better hearing ability and flexible necks to pass on their genetic code.

The genetic traits we all carry today is a result of hundreds of thousands, even millions, of years of refinement. I see evidence of this today; my own son has the traits of both myself and my wife. I have also seen many people die, and have yet to see proof of this afterlife. Then again, seeing my son makes me realize that there really is no need for an afterlife; we live on through our children. I'm going to focus on making the world a better place for him rather than worry about some fictional afterlife.

Welcome, DQ!

While I'm sure your deconversion wasn't easy, I'm glad it came to you relatively painlessly.

(At least, that's the impression I got when I read your story.) Religions stopped making

sense to me a long time ago, so I'm with you there.

Anyway, welcome to the board! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting,

Glad your story wasn't someone dieing and stuff for you to come out of teh faith..it was as one poster said relitivly painless..You more less woke up and reliezed it was all a big fish story

If the bad things I had done in life warranted an eternity burning in the fires of hell, then so be it; better to spend an eternity in hell with honour than to spend it in heaven as a coward.

I raise a glass of mead to you, DQ. This is exactly why I can not and will not accept the "free" gift of salvation.

And welcome to Ex-C! :wave: