Goodbye Jesus

Just Watched Trading Spouses

brad_religion

I was flipping around the channels last night and came to Fox. It was "Trading Spouses" and it was about 40 minutes into the show. The plot was a christian wife and agnostic wife would trade places. I suppose this is due to the response to Wifeswap's christian/atheist exchange. Anyway, you would think the christian wife would be more loving and sincere and wouldn't complain as much as the agnostic one. That is the picture they love to show.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The husband of the christian wife looked like he was miserable, but tried to make the best situation out of it for his 3 daughters. Anyway, the agnostic wife was really positive and just was a generally pleasant person. But, she did something that was a "no-no" in their house. Either she or someone else brought wine into the house for a bbq party. The agnostic wife encouraged people to relax and drink wine. No big deal. Then the mother of the christian wife comes over (she is also a christian). She goes ballistic and complains about wine being there. I'm guessing they were fundies.

Anyway, the christian wife was annoying as hell. She said the son of the other woman didn't open up to her (probably because she was trying to push her beliefs on him). The dad (who is also agnostic) wanted to make the christian wife feel welcome, so he offered to do a devotional with his son with her. You would think that would show they are good people who just want to be polite to everyone.

Then, the women met at the end of the show. The christian wife told the agnostic wife that her son didn't open up to her (which is really no big deal). The christian wife said she thought it was wrong they didn't raise their child with a religion. Of course, she never explained why.

The agnostic wife told the christian wife that her family was wonderful, but she needed to support her husband more. Her husband normally didn't get active (probably from being afraid of pissing of the christian wife). The agnostic told her that her husband really opened up and even cooked for the bbq party (which he never did usually). She said he was a free spirit who needs to be encouraged. You would think that is a positive thing to say.

Anyway, while the christian's husband and daughters were waiting for her to come back home, they were cooking a nice meal and he got her flowers. They really tried to show how much they cared for her and missed her. What does this "christian" do when she comes home? She doesn't bother giving them a lot of affection ( you know, hugging and kissing a lot). Then she says "Oh, I'm not hungry". Talk about a slap in the face. Then, she found out they had wine in the house and instead of saying "well, as long as we don't have it again", she went on a tirade for like 4 minutes about how bad her husband was for letting them have any alcohol in the home. I have never seen anyone complain that much in my life. Then the christian wife said she was going to bed. I could tell the husband was trapped. I felt sorry for him. You would think the christian woman would be the least complaining person.

When the agnostic woman went home, she hugged her son and husband a lot more than the christian wife. They really showed affection for each other.

At the very end, each family read what the wife of the other family wrote in regards to how they would spend the $50,000 they both received. The agnostic family was being pushed into believing in God by the christian wife. If that wasn't bad enough, she put in their letter that she wanted $1000 to go to any church of their choice. I cannot think of a more rude thing to do to someone you know would be offended by that. Anyway, they didn't get angry or anything, they were happy for the things they did have.

The christian wife was not so receiving. She had a problem with almost each thing on the list of how they would spend the money. One of the things the agnostic wife did was get the christian wife's daughters interested in art. You know, painting and all that stuff. The daughters really enjoyed it and the agnostic wrote how she wanted a few thousand dollars to go to art classes for the girls. You would think that would be a good thing, to encourage creativity, right? The christian wife ungratefully said she thought it was stupid and it was a waste of time.

Ultimately, what this show proved to me is the mentality of a fundie is detrimental to not only themselves, but to loved ones around them. The agnostic wife showed much more love, more personality, more positive attitude, and she didn't push her beliefs or lack of beliefs on the other family.

This was the second part of a two week show, and the first week was even worse. The mother of the fundy was a relently xtian, ( the apple most surely did not fall far from the tree) and she held a Bible Study at the house, and that poor Agnostic gal had to endure some very rude comments from her.

The agnostic Dad was a pretty cool guy, and he really tried to get their son to open up to the fundy.... he told him and her that they've always raised him to be open to others. He even cried, it was quite touching really, but the boy really didn't want to have anything to do with it. The fundy lady took him to a shop, cause she was into scrap booking....( that's kinda art for christ sakes) and that helped the boy relate to her a bit. It was after that time together that he agreed to the devotional. Again very sweet of both he and his father.

Anyway, while the christian's husband and daughters were waiting for her to come back home, they were cooking a nice meal and he got her flowers. They really tried to show how much they cared for her and missed her. What does this "christian" do when she comes home? She doesn't bother giving them a lot of affection ( you know, hugging and kissing a lot). Then she says "Oh, I'm not hungry". Talk about a slap in the face. Then, she found out they had wine in the house and instead of saying "well, as long as we don't have it again", she went on a tirade for like 4 minutes about how bad her husband was for letting them have any alcohol in the home. I have never seen anyone complain that much in my life. Then the christian wife said she was going to bed. I could tell the husband was trapped. I felt sorry for him. You would think the christian woman would be the least complaining person.

When the agnostic woman went home, she hugged her son and husband a lot more than the christian wife. They really showed affection for each other.

The fundy mother rant over the wine was priceless to watch, but you quickly lost the humor when you saw the look on Tim's ( the father) and the girls faces. It was heartbreaking. They all made dinner, he and his girls, something he never did, it looked real good and they had flowers and everything. Like brad stated she said she wasn't hungry, not even thanking them for at least making such a wonderful gesture.

I felt bad for the fundies family... I really did. The agnostics were by far the more moral and genuine folk.

Thanks brad for the post and recap, it was enjoyable to watch and nice to see that someone posted it.

Sounds like a movie made up esp. to prove how bad religion is. I'd like to take it as evidence that religion IS bad but I can't get past the idea that movies are made to sell.

Sounds like a movie made up esp. to prove how bad religion is. I'd like to take it as evidence that religion IS bad but I can't get past the idea that movies are made to sell.

It wasn't a movie, it was a reality show. Now granted they pitted a deeply religious woman with an agnostic family, but it wasn't a scripted movie. It was as real as I've seen when going to a family reunion.

I do know what you mean though about movies made up to show a particular bias.

I caught about half of that show last week and made it a point to watch again last night. While it is possible that the show was edited to make the non-christians look better, I kind of doubt it. My own experience is that I am far more tolerant now, as an atheist, than I ever was as a believer.

I know for certain that I would have been outraged to have any alcohol in my home when I was a believer and would have made it clearly known!

Now, as an atheist, I am far more secure in my beliefs and life-choices because they ARE MINE and not something force-fed to me from the bible. Obviously it is extremely difficult to remain "loving" and "accepting" when attempting to defend the ridiculous contradictions and claims of the bible.

The non-christian family was not threatened by the christian's beliefs whereas the christians were highly threatened. Although, those little girls obviously saw that their "christian" mom was way off base with her reactions.

All in all, a very interesting look into real lives.

I dont have a TV,

You may be better for it.

I saw the previews for it. However, Heroes was on. What a great recap though! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I watched that show and came to the same conclusion.

If that wasn't bad enough, she put in their letter that she wanted $1000 to go to any church of their choice.

i would have laughed and then said, "so, where can we get the address for the church of satan." then i'd send them the money and let the fundy bitch know it.

i think the wine thing is funny, since jesus supposedy turned water into wine.

Hello!

Hello!

Hello!

I would love to watch this video. Does anyone know if it is posted to the web somewhere? -- whether on the network's website or on YouTube? I've looked but haven't found it -- but then I don't know what search terms to use. Thanks!

I'd like to take it as evidence that religion IS bad but I can't get past the idea that movies are made to sell.

You got that right! I loathe the so-called "reality" shows because they are not "reality" at all. Seems I recall when they did this to the Atheist family (the man who runs Infidels) that many here were quick to point out (and rightly so) the HORRID cut and paste job that the show did to put the atheist family in a bad light. The woman was probably pissed but we don't know the real reason "why" because not everything is shown. Perhaps something set her off? Who knows.

I've stopped watching them altogether because they do the same bullshit cut n' paste with home schoolers and it pisses me off to see that done to others as well...even if they are fundy nut jobs.

I got to say first I dont get these reality shows here in Ukraine...Also i hardly ever watch TV..Maybe 2 hours a month.

If I traded and got this Christian women...I would tell that her up frount who the man is! Also she'd keep her trap shut..i wish i would be on nation TV with this women they can record me disproving her Christanity..then the world would see me seduce her and have sex with her...and then they'd really see spiritiual she is :lol:

These people are clowns!